Another chainsaw dyno...

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, that answers my question, a single ring Husky style piston is NOT necessary for great performance in these saws.

FYI, Meteor 460 pistons are slightly heavier and have slightly wider skirts than OEM. Dr. Al and I determined that a while ago.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys, that answers my question, a single ring Husky style piston is NOT necessary for great performance in these saws.

FYI, Meteor 460 pistons are slightly heavier and have slightly wider skirts than OEM. Dr. Al and I determined that a while ago.
0B38E574-F40D-400E-A37C-9779CC040C53.jpeg

stock Stihl piston

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

From what I can tell after running a few hybrids... the advantage with the single ring piston is that it vibrates less than the 460 piston. The reason being it is about the same weight as a stock 440 piston, which is what the crank was designed for. Crank longevity with the lighter piston is probably better. On the other hand the two ring 460 piston probably has better ring life. Just a guess. Now I don’t know about a performance advantage... the difference we are seeing is the different ways the saws were ported. To really test a performance advantage you would have to swap pistons on the same saw and dyno it.

Bjorn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
From what I can tell after running a few hybrids... the advantage with the single ring piston is that it vibrates less than the 460 piston. The reason being it is about the same weight as a stock 440 piston, which is what the crank was designed for. Crank longevity with the lighter piston is probably better. On the other hand the two ring 460 piston probably has better ring life. Just a guess. Now I don’t know about a performance advantage... the difference we are seeing is the different ways the saws were ported. To really test a performance advantage you would have to swap pistons on the same saw and dyno it.

Hi, I think a singel ring Will hold about the same as a double, because it gets oil on both sides. On double ring its hard to get lubricant betwen the rings.

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That swap is not directly possible if you desire meaningful results. Compression height is different.
Porting specifically for each piston may be different as well.
Best approach would be to take the best performing saws built with each and compare them.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My hybrid has the 272 piston for this exact reason, matching the weight of a 440 piston. The crown has 40 removed from it, and it has one single 1.5mm Caber F-Cast ring vs 2 x 1.2 mm rings. The centered ring pin (over the intake) allows for fingers, which this saw had.

The 272 piston takes up less volume than a 460 slug, so it increases case volume. I expected more low end grunt from this, but the other two made more torque. This hybrid is around 180psi. It was done that way intentionally, as the user lives in the south and uses it for big cuts. As you all know, the more compression and heat, the more the saw will lean out as it gets hot and lose tune.

Mine is running a stock 17b and an OEM winter air filter with the foam element installed.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The benefits of the 272 were originally the ease of running fingers and it let you get more intake. You don’t need to machine a lot to get your trans and intake right with a 46 piston. So that left you grinding down to get 79-80, whatever your target is. To grind the intake with good shape and lower that far, it was very easy to grind through. Thus, the reason for the 272.
I never thought my hybrid vibrated more than a 440 or 460. To each their own though.

Fifelaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Dieselshawn

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Should try a saw running a pipe and nitromethane on the dyno :D

Those saws always seem to make awesome looking videos while cutting wood.

While my pipe and pump gas made less power than the muffler on the 260, the saw sounded awesome and had neighbouring farms phoning in asking what’s going on over there :confused: