High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

All Things 288XP

..X..

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I imagine that they are the same, as they're still made by Husky.

Well, the only reason why I ask was since the 395 is made in Brazil now almost everyone thinks their made in Sweden 395 is worth gold. I see guys asking anywhere from $1000 to $1400 for a "lightly" used 395 made in Sweden when I can get a new one made in Brazil for $970 right now. Yes, I have seen some much cheaper, but after you stick all that money in OEM BRAZIL parts (lol) to get them running good, your better off buying new.

So it makes a guy wonder did Brazilian made equipment take a noise dive in quality, or is it because people get a hard on for the made in Sweden name?

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, the only reason why I ask was since the 395 is made in Brazil now almost everyone thinks their made in Sweden 395 is worth gold. I see guys asking anywhere from $1000 to $1400 for a "lightly" used 395 made in Sweden when I can get a new one made in Brazil for $970 right now. Yes, I have seen some much cheaper, but after you stick all that money in OEM BRAZIL parts (lol) to get them running good, your better off buying new.

So it makes a guy wonder did Brazilian made equipment take a noise dive in quality, or is it because people get a hard on for the made in Sweden name?

I’ve found nothing wrong with the Brazilian 395’s. They upgraded fasteners to T27.

..X..

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’ve found nothing wrong with the Brazilian 395’s. They upgraded fasteners to T27.

That's good to hear. It cost more to get a 288 from robinwood versus A 390XP, and I wasn't sure if the quality these are known for took a nose dive after moving factories. You look at the made in the USA versus China the quality took a nose dive when factories moved.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So.... if the assumption is there is less quality to a Brazilian 288.... what would the point of failure be vs an old one? A pinhole in a fuel line will put a saw on the shelf no different than a clogged carb or a lean seized head. The topic of overall reliability still implies a point of failure. I have a hard time imagining the old ones are that much "better" as to move the point of failure to something less critical? Better magnesium? Better bearings? Better carbs? Bolts not tightened? Etc. I think the concept of betterness is a bit nebulous is all ;)

..X..

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So.... if the assumption is there is less quality to a Brazilian 288.... what would the point of failure be vs an old one? A pinhole in a fuel line will put a saw on the shelf no different than a clogged carb or a lean seized head. The topic of overall reliability still implies a point of failure. I have a hard time imagining the old ones are that much "better" as to move the point of failure to something less critical? Better magnesium? Better bearings? Better carbs? Bolts not tightened? Etc. I think the concept of betterness is a bit nebulous is all ;)

Well when a company changes factories to a different country its usually for saving money and some also cut corners on quality.... I can use Mac and Matco tools an an example. I have sockets and wrenches older than me holding up better than new China or Taiwan tools off the tool truck... So.......... With that experience, I question if there was any changes. Maybe the magnesium case is weaker or something else, it wouldn't surprise me. This was just a question if anyone has seen anything before I fork out $1200. I guess anyone could feed me a line of BS either way, but maybe someone ran into something with Brazilian Husky's. I mean a lot of you guys are sure asking a pretty penny for a used Swedish saws so it makes a guy wonder...

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well when a company changes factories to a different country its usually for saving money and some also cut corners on quality.... I can use Mac and Matco tools an an example. I have sockets and wrenches older than me holding up better than new China or Taiwan tools off the tool truck... So.......... With that experience, I question if there was any changes. Maybe the magnesium case is weaker or something else, it wouldn't surprise me. This was just a question if anyone has seen anything before I fork out $1200. I guess anyone could feed me a line of BS either way, but maybe someone ran into something with Brazilian Husky's. I mean a lot of you guys are sure asking a pretty penny for a used Swedish saws so it makes a guy wonder...
The funny thing is most old model huskys top ends are made in BRAZIL since they were released them back in the day. Check your old pistons both Mahle and KS are casted BR.

president

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you aware that 038 mags have been manufactured in Brasil
for 20, odd years, and no quality issues

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Maybe some other questions would be more relevant.... so if you are a full time logger you might gonna be more concerned about a warrantee than longevity. If you want a saw just to cut firewood then maybe look at the availability of parts and the expense of certain things like bearings or carbs. Ie... husky 390xp has a 40$ pto side bearing. 288xp is 6203s.... 6bux each for nachis. I'd argue that 288 is a hard working saw for sure...but a 390 would be more likely to come with warranty.

My personal preference is 288....and I wouldn't hesitate to buy new if that was my thing. Then again I rebuild 288s all the time so....im kinda set on parts. I HAVE noticed that the Brazil plastic parts don't quite have the same....uh....feel as the swedish stuff but haven't noticed any longevity issues.

I tend to think 288 parts will be available for a long time yet...China Taiwan or otherwise. So i don't think you would be in a bad spot at 1200 for a 288. Helll......there are some 288s on ebay that are parts saws prolly North of 500 bux lol

With regards to the matco tools....I hear you for sure. China metallurgy is not the same as American or German steel. But it still kinda gets back to the original question. Whats the intended use and whats the anticipated point of failure. Best of luck whichever way you go.

henry r

Active OPE Member
Local time
1:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
hi all, it took a lot of reading to get here.

this is my new to me 1988 288XP that i was given last week.

it's rough and needs a lot of parts but from a quick inspection it looks like there is enough there to make it worth building.

the bottom end feels great and the cylinder has transfer but no scoring.
20220128_162918.jpg20220128_162932.jpg

the clutch has has its day though.
is this a 1988 only clutch?
20220128_190240.jpg

on the positive side it comes with a custom muffler mod.
20220128_181451.jpg

it is several saws down the line so won't be happening just yet, but i had to share.

is now when i say;

HOORAY 288!

GerbrandR

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a new 288? thought they had long since stopped production. Very impressed

Yes, it's brand new. And it's been produced in Brazil. Not sure if they are still making them, but they are still available there and also show up on the Brazilian Husqvarna website.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
8:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do any of you hoeders have a 281/288 crank or piston kicking around? I need to know the width of the small end of the conn rod for a project I'm working on and I don't have a spare piston/crank kicking around.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do any of you hoeders have a 281/288 crank or piston kicking around? I need to know the width of the small end of the conn rod for a project I'm working on and I don't have a spare piston/crank kicking around.

Just a few... dozen.