All Things 288XP

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to shabby, Don't look like she was abused.
A well cared for saw is always nice to see.
I was very pleased when I opened the box. It's a little rougher than it shows in the pics but that is to be expected.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I ran it I suspected the crank seals may be due for a change so I sprayed carb cleaner behind the flywheel and it died instantly. Here's what the bearings looked like, the cages were just starting to come apart...dodged that bullet! Glad I didn't run it too long
IMG_0528.JPG

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Next question; Is the throttle arm supposed to be notched like this? I've never gone through a 288 but this don't seem right to me. I've been wrong before lolIMG_0524.JPG

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Parts list is pretty short so far;
P&C
Both front AV mounts
Kill switch (tang broke on removal)
Bearings n seals
Case gasket
Muffler
Heat shield

Once the mechanical things are done I'll put new plastics on it.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whatever parts you need let me know, I will do them at dealer cost. I usually dnt get rid of project saws till I get to go through them.
Thanks Dustin. But don't think for 1 second that I am in anyway unhappy with this saw. I wanted a project, and this saw is solid.

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had planned on a total restoration of that 1, i thought it was a gd strating platform, with all the parts there atleast. Don't sweat the plastics, they are not as expensive as you might think, a new top and starter cover makes a huge difference in appearance.

Frogfarmer

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Throttle arm is supposed to look like that. Yours does look worn a little but hard to tell exactly. It is common to put fuel line on the arm of the carb that the lever actuates. I think it's 3/8 line. Mine wouldn't go full throttle. It was very close but not WFO. Mine does have a new lever so it wasn't a wear issue.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Throttle arm is supposed to look like that. Yours does look worn a little but hard to tell exactly. It is common to put fuel line on the arm of the carb that the lever actuates. I think it's 3/8 line. Mine wouldn't go full throttle. It was very close but not WFO. Mine does have a new lever so it wasn't a wear issue.
Mine wasn't hitting WFO either because the tang for the idle stop was hitting the arm behind the throttle shaft. That's what made me suspect that notch as being abonormal. Thanks for the fuel line fix on it