All Things 288XP

41FanForLife

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the 288xp gurus or @PA Dan . Mike rebuilt my 288 after Duane's GTG. New seals,bearings, gaskets ,the whole deal. He went through the carb too. Pulled it out today to drop a few small pines for a friend. Saw sounds super powerful but when i laid it flat for my base cut on the notch it blubbered and sputtered pretty bad. Its a stock Tilly carb. Any ideas on which way to investigate this problem. Or should i be looking at a different carb? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Question for the 288xp gurus or @PA Dan . Mike rebuilt my 288 after Duane's GTG. New seals,bearings, gaskets ,the whole deal. He went through the carb too. Pulled it out today to drop a few small pines for a friend. Saw sounds super powerful but when i laid it flat for my base cut on the notch it blubbered and sputtered pretty bad. Its a stock Tilly carb. Any ideas on which way to investigate this problem. Or should i be looking at a different carb? Thanks in advance for any and all advice.
Is it a limited Carb? I.E does it had a big brass plug threaded in the side of the carb with a slot in the top?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fuel line too long or short maybe?

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It needs a Sth Pacific holiday John.

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes on the right side of the carb
That could be your problem. I think it is designed to let more fuel through when the vibrations reach a certain level and they can wear and dump in too much fuel too soon. In my experience 288's run much better with the later non-limited carbs. I am speaking from experience - I've rebuilt and run at least eight 288xps in the last 3 years....

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That could be your problem. I think it is designed to let more fuel through when the vibrations reach a certain level and they can wear and dump in too much fuel too soon. In my experience 288's run much better with the later non-limited carbs. I am speaking from experience - I've rebuilt and run at least eight 288xps in the last 3 years....
Which model carbs are the later ones? I have the same carb for my 281 and we will try my carb to see if it solves the issue.

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can confirm.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a later one but it still had a fixed aux jet inside under the metering diaphragm. Couldn’t get it lean enough. Removed it and soldered it shut with intentions of drilling it out smaller. Ran it like that and it tuned at 1.25 turns out so I left it

markds2

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Which model carbs are the later ones? I have the same carb for my 281 and we will try my carb to see if it solves the issue.
I'll have a look later my friend, My Rattler 288 is a '97 model and definitely has the unlimited carb. The easiest way to check is that the unlimited version doesn't have that great big brass plug!

Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have a look later my friend, My Rattler 288 is a '97 model and definitely has the unlimited carb. The easiest way to check is that the unlimited version doesn't have that great big brass plug!

Thanks Adam
What are we looking for? I don't see any big brass plug on the PTO side of carb.
Looks like Mine's a 97 too, not a 95.IMG_20210618_131908.jpg IMG_20210618_132205.jpg IMG_20210618_132223.jpg