A little bit of Chestnut Oak

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:06 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We discovered a good score of stump sprout chestnut oak blow downs on one of our field roads. Just the right size for us to work up. So we took the tractor and “Ol’ Clampy” to bring it to the shop to process.

E2F90DAA-B44E-4BE3-A0B1-FE674F4AE349.jpeg E7DCB07C-2591-4555-B887-AFA7E8DBE7D1.jpeg

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice setup on the old truck. Gotta love that rock oak for firewood, nothing is easier to split.
The old truck has had a rough life. Started as a dozer transport for TN Division of Forestry. Our agency bought it with the JD400s when they went to bigger dozers and transports. I cut the dovetail off and put a pintle hutch plate on it. 1980 Chevy C70, 366 BB, Holley EFI, Cam, headers, and dual flowmasters. It needs some new steering parts soon. You kind of point it instead of drive it! We mainly use it to pull the dozer around the area and when planting. I put the seed on the truck and pull the small tractor with planter.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Firewood cutting is always more fun when you can mix in old trucks or tractors on the job. Same as running the old saws. The more toys the better.
My guys made fun of me for taking 4 saws. My “personal” saws instead of agency saws. Mainly because they needed to be run. We found another mess today on another field road. It’s bigger stuff so we may just cut it and set it next to the road for the firewood permit holders.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More back up saws the better! How often do the agency saws get run" (what type of agency BTW?)

Up here, whenever there's a major weather event, most of the fire company saws would never start cause they've been sitting. Most of the fire fighters would just run their own saws. Which they'd rather do anyway since they all own 562's, 372's and such. The most saw you'll see on a fire truck is a 455. Converted most of the fire companies to running the canned fuel so at least those saws will start when needed.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More back up saws the better! How often do the agency saws get run" (what type of agency BTW?)

Up here, whenever there's a major weather event, most of the fire company saws would never start cause they've been sitting. Most of the fire fighters would just run their own saws. Which they'd rather do anyway since they all own 562's, 372's and such. The most saw you'll see on a fire truck is a 455. Converted most of the fire companies to running the canned fuel so at least those saws will start when needed.
I work for Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency as an area manager of a 24,444 acre wildlife management area. When I got here the only two saws here were a 290 and 310. I have since bought a 461, 661, and 462. The 462 became my truck saw instead of the anemic 310. It gets ran quite a bit and we do use canned fuel. The 290 in the other truck always had problems starting until we switched to canned fuel.