Help me choose a new zero turn mower

farmer steve

outstanding in my field, 5150
Local time
4:21 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like my Ferris and mechanically been trouble free but. I went with a 48" deck due to a lot of tight spaces here. I only mow when it's bone dry. The deck needs cleaned after every use and that sucks. My buddy has one with a 72" deck and mows 7-8 acres. I asked him how often he cleans his deck and he said only at the end of summer. After some research I found that the under 50" decks require more cleaning.

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Judging from what is under the mowers in the photo, looks like you have quite hard soil in which case those chevron treaded agricultural tyres would be fine.
But on a soft soil or sandy soil they would be a disaster

Still it does look like a good machine with some suspension, decient footboards and ROPS
Flip up decks are a good idea which is one reason why I like the articulated mowers
However pressure washing decks is not a good idea as it can lead to water ingression into the spindle bearings
A good compressor & a 4' to 6' long air duster is the best thing to clean a mower with .

I have enough walnuts that every time I go to clean the deck in the fall, it's already done! lol

When the ground is moist I will admit that a little care need be taken. Y turns. The tires are actually on there due to one particular slope that I cut. Was seeking a Kubota F series when I found the 326. The deal was right, so I took it.

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:21 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Once upon a time in a far off land where honest sales reps inhabited mower shops that knew their products, the competitions products, the general weather conditions, the grasses that were grown in the shops footprint and the local topography these mythical creatures would direct you to the right mower for your yard.
What people fail to understand is the perfect mower for me can be a disaster for you.
So when a topic like this comes up, every one who is happy with their mower chimes in without considerations to the actual posters requirements .
Mind you a lot of posters have to be dragged screaming to give the forum members the minimum information needed to make an informed decision as to which mowers the poster should look at .
I like to go the other way & provide a list of current models to avoid and models that are totally wrong for the posters conditions .No mower will give a better cut than a Walker due mainly to the strong deck air flow and the massive overlap of the timed blades
But if you leave mowing for as long as possible ( can't find the dog any more ) then they are a disaster and similar story with very rough ground or very sandy soils .
Sandy soils need low lift low deck air flow decks and by prefference mulching blades or very low lift blades
While it is great to get feedback from people who are very happy with their current mower, the question is will the sam mower provide the same service to a different user in a different climatic condition cutting different grasses .
S if you want to sing the praises of your mower then please give a rough location so the poster can get an idea of your climate, a description of your yard , soil type & grasses .

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sandy soil here, so buy extra blades and will sharpen often. That's how it is here, son's property is farm land, good soil with heavy grass. He needs sharp blades with mower wide open going slower than I do. His yard is smooth, mine is not. I could use independent suspension with suspension seat, he does not need it.