572xpg vs 500i

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I definitely won't pick the 500.
Sitting too much causes too much fuel system problems. I still dont trust the injection system.

It seems pretty good to the guys I know that have used it in the quickie saws..who knows..

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it's pretty fancy looking. I still can't believe the worlds first fuel injected chainsaw has 1980's air filtration...max flow is probably happy.

To each their own.
I would put money on the design being around since they came out with the chop saw.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
12:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Am I missing something? Haven’t heard anything about failed injectors and couldn’t see them plugging or failing anymore than a carb. All ope requires good fuel and maybe even a partial tank of expensive canned gas for a long nap.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Way I understand is that the 500i went in development before the 462 and that’s part of the reasoning for the older filter set up. The 500 I in the one Swedish test video didn’t get a filter clean for like 5-6 months and still ran fine all plugged up also didn’t see a lot of sawdust under filter when removed

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Way I understand is that the 500i went in development before the 462 and that’s part of the reasoning for the older filter set up. The 500 I in the one Swedish test video didn’t get a filter clean for like 5-6 months and still ran fine all plugged up also didn’t see a lot of sawdust under filter when removed
I wonder how long the saw would last running that little amount of mix to compensate for such a plugged up filter and still maintain the 'correct' tune.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also about 500.00 difference for that 1ftlb. And the 572 gives up atleast 8cc to start with.... And you DNT need to spend another $100 on a maxflow setup for the 572, lots of things to consider.

Does Max flow make a set up yet? How much time do you have on a 500 to keep saying or needs a max flow set up? I have yet to see anything that says the factory filter doesn’t do what it is intended to do.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does Max flow make a set up yet? How much time do you have on a 500 to keep saying or needs a max flow set up? I have yet to see anything that says the factory filter doesn’t do what it is intended to do.
@HYPERSAWS and @CLEARCUT have some time on both. According to one of them, both saws need the filters cleaned at the same intervals

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can go a week cutting timber on the 572xp filter before it needs blown out, maybe a bit more depending on what I was cutting. The 661 I ran I had to clean the filter by lunchtime from the power loss. It appears to have the same filter as the 500i or is that a wrong assumption? I have no experience with the 500i filter... maybe they changed something to make it better. I have experience with a 462 and it’s filter stayed clean a long time like the 572xp.

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have quite a few friends who have the 500i, mostly overseas, filter is the same old design as the 661 and they say it works about as good as the stock 661 filter, I have ran a few of the 500i, strong saws for sure, but they have there short comings like any saw, like I said it's good we have options, some may not care to clean their filter often, some dont mind a tad heavier saw, some like autotune/mtronic, you choose what works best for you and your application. Like I said for me the 462 suited my needs and preference the best. Nothing wrong with any of the options, all great saws, all have flaws.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:22 AM
User ID
Reaction score
@HYPERSAWS and @CLEARCUT have some time on both. According to one of them, both saws need the filters cleaned at the same intervals
I would say that the 500i filter does its job, but not quite like a maxflo. It needs more attention, but it’s ok. I pretty much thoroughly clean the 572 filter everyday this time of year. Between the bark dust, and dirt dust from trees falling and sliding, the filter is pretty well done by the end of the day generally. Winter-time is usually much better on filters here.

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can go a week cutting timber on the 572xp filter before it needs blown out, maybe a bit more depending on what I was cutting. The 661 I ran I had to clean the filter by lunchtime from the power loss. It appears to have the same filter as the 500i or is that a wrong assumption? I have no experience with the 500i filter... maybe they changed something to make it better. I have experience with a 462 and it’s filter stayed clean a long time like the 572xp.
Was it a v.2 M-tronic?

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have quite a few friends who have the 500i, mostly overseas, filter is the same old design as the 661 and they say it works about as good as the stock 661 filter, I have ran a few of the 500i, strong saws for sure, but they have there short comings like any saw, like I said it's good we have options, some may not care to clean their filter often, some dont mind a tad heavier saw, some like autotune/mtronic, you choose what works best for you and your application. Like I said for me the 462 suited my needs and preference the best. Nothing wrong with any of the options, all great saws, all have flaws.

So all you go by is hear say.

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to try the 462 but there isn’t a decently priced used one on the continent. I’m in no hurry to purchase a new saw as I have a fleet of 70cc’s. I would like to run all three as this will probably be my last new large saw purchase.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So all you go by is hear say.

I go by facts, same filter setup as the 661 which is known to be less then ideal, if it was a great design why would max flow be such a popular add on? Have you ever seen a max flow for a 395? No, because it's not needed, simple as that.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I go by facts, same filter setup as the 661 which is known to be less then ideal, if it was a great design why would max flow be such a popular add on? Have you ever seen a max flow for a 395? No, because it's not needed, simple as that.

Can you point me in the direction so I can read these facts please.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll agree the air injection on a husky is a nice feature but for me cutting firewood cleaning an air filter once a day isn’t a big deal. It is a good thing that jonsreds came up with the air injection set up.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll agree the air injection on a husky is a nice feature but for me cutting firewood cleaning an air filter once a day isn’t a big deal. It is a good thing that jonsreds came up with the air injection set up.
Those older jonsereds and 2 series huskys are actually pretty decent for filter cleanliness for what they are. Especially compared to older saws from the same era. I guess some of them just have a well thought out air intake path and good filter material with a gasket under the filter to keep fines out.