572xpg vs 500i

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
11:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Wait...

Did you actually just say that about someone else?

I certainly did. I pointed out what I like and disliked about each model, said i was glad we have options to suit each of our tatses. Each model has its good and bad points. For me I feel Stihl got it right on the 462 for a short bar saw, for the longer bar I would probably buy the 572 vs 500i, due to price, filtration and fuel consumption, I never said any of the saws we're junk, they all would make most owners very happy, I own saws of 4-5 brands, I am currently building a 440/460 hybrid, the filter is not a great design and likely will get a max flow, it's not the end of the world to buy one, cost should be considered when buying some models though. If that's bashing a brand let me know.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never inspected and compared the openings in the carb box, fuel tank, and filter cover areas where air is drawn in to the filter to know if they’re even similar between the 661 and 500i. The only real way to compare the two would be if they were exactly the same

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
10:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could spend the rest of the day sharing testimonials from real loggers about the pros and cons of different saws.

But to what end?

People are insane.....and its getting worse.

In case y'all haven't noticed, I pretty much have removed myself from the conversation. I've decided that to attempt it is an exercise in futility.

Y'all have fun wrecking the forum we all worked so hard to build. Cause that's all you're doing.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I certainly did. I pointed out what I like and disliked about each model, said i was glad we have options to suit each of our tatses. Each model has its good and bad points. For me I feel Stihl got it right on the 462 for a short bar saw, for the longer bar I would probably buy the 572 vs 500i, due to price, filtration and fuel consumption, I never said any of the saws we're junk, they all would make most owners very happy, I own saws of 4-5 brands, I am currently building a 440/460 hybrid, the filter is not a great design and likely will get a max flow, it's not the end of the world to buy one, cost should be considered when buying some models though. If that's bashing a brand let me know.
I don’t understand acting like a professional and having the experience to spread the gospel like you do given that running a saw for any length of time isn’t something you do even on a semi-regular basis. Cutting a few cookies here and there, like I do most of the time also, and then putting the saws back on the shelf or shipping them out to their owners doesn’t provide enough evidence to prove anything based on your own experience.

It’s penny-ante stuff. I have cut a lot of firewood over the years and never gave two *s-words about how my Air Injection was working. I just wanted it to run and have a sharp chain.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have never said I run a saw for a living, I leave that to others, I just pointed out what I like and what I didn't like about each model, that's what the OP seemed to be asking, he can make the choice that best fits him and his wallet.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Jezus guys, take the pissn match outside or I’ll just keep my Jonsered 2165/71’s.

Either saw is gonna make you smile. You can't really go wrong with either choice. The 2165/2171 is a great option to own already.

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The tree service 500 is a year and a half old and he uses it every day just about Monday to Friday they aren’t so good at air filter maintenance but do keep sharp chains on at all times. I got the saw back to give a look over/cleaning and the filter was pretty clean. No idea how many times they blew it out but I’d be surprised if it was more than one or two times. The point is all saws have good and bad points Stihl didn’t have air injection because it was owned and patented by Electrolux. They also share all the technology between each other. Husky down the road will be looking to get fuel injection so may be working deals with Stihl who knows. The 572xp is actually 999$ so 150$ cheaper than a Stihl ms 462 in my area.

huskihl

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Jezus guys, take the pissn match outside or I’ll just keep my Jonsered 2165/71’s.
Just trying to make sure you can make an educated decision based on actual experience rather than he-said she-said drivel. Not all members have a fact filter built-in to their headphones

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never said I run a saw for a living, I leave that to others, I just pointed out what I like and what I didn't like about each model, that's what the OP seemed to be asking, he can make the choice that best fits him and his wallet.

So.....how many weeks out of the year have you spent on the trigger of the 572.....or the 500i?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This crap reminds me of Ol Niko. Y'all remember Sawtroll.....right?

He'd find the specs of a saw online and profess to being some sort of an authority on whether or not it was worth a damn.

After years and years of reading his posts, I began to realize that the guy actually didn't know jackshit about saws. He was completely full of factoids that meant absolutely nothing in the real world.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didn't see a requirement to comment on the OP question. I pointed out what I liked and didn't like about booth saws. The rest is up to him. People taking things personal is what gets these posts off topic, it's a saw at the end of the day and each has its good and not great points.

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The whole issue of which brand is better should never be anything more than a little good natured ribbing. Unfortunately, due to human nature, it usually devolves quick, fast, and in a hurry. I've made a handful of brand comments here and there, not out of brand loyalty, but just for a chuckle. In my opinion, that's all they should be for. Not much more I can say on it.

The OP stated stated that the 572 and 500i are the ONLY two saws he is interested in. If anyone wants to debate other saws, start your own thread on the subject.

@woodfarmer, you stated that you want a powerful yet lightweight saw. On paper the 500i wins on both accounts:
500i - 6.8hp, 13.7lbs
572xp - 5.8hp, 14.5lbs
If price is a non-issue, go with the 500i based on only the two criteria you've listed so far. What's the next thing on your priority list or thing that you like about your other saws? We can TRY to talk about individual characteristics and get you help in your decision.

Or if you JUST want to know what other peeps will do, not necessarily why, make a poll.