572xpg vs 500i

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would I do that? The 500i is more hp and ways 2 lbs less and the price is much closer
I believe a 390 is a proven saw. Do you have access to stihls software? Stihl reduced weight by using lighter cranks and more plastic. Buy what you want, why ask for people's opinions, then push back?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
2:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your saw is just another toy for you.....then 1300.00 seems like a lot for a toy.

If you fell timber for a living and own skidders, loaders, log trucks, etc....then 1300.00 for a lightweight powerful felling saw is a drop in the bucket.

I talk to men regularly who are getting older, and still carry a saw through the woods daily to feed their families. What do they want? A saw that is both light, and powerful. Period.

Cost is irrelevant if it helps them get through the day productively.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I realize its not what the thread is about but wouldnt the 462 fit in here as a direct competitor with the 572? More so than the 500i?
I would probably pick the 462 if I had to choose between it and the 500i and save the 300 bucks. I personally run two 572’s for what I do. Idk... I guess it would depend on what bar I wanted to run on the saw and your brand preference.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I believe a 390 is a proven saw. Do you have access to stihls software? Stihl reduced weight by using lighter cranks and more plastic. Buy what you want, why ask for people's opinions, then push back?

Because he asked about a 500i and a 572. Never a 390.

woodfarmer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m only interested in these two saws, nothing else that is why I asked. I’m in my 50’s now and carrying around a large saw gets tiring. I have an 066, 460 several ported 2165/71’s. I use them all to fell and buck, I don’t spend my days in my backyard cutting cookies so a powerful yet light saw is what I’m after.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m only interested in these two saws, nothing else that is why I asked. I’m in my 50’s now and carrying around a large saw gets tiring. I have an 066, 460 several ported 2165/71’s. I use them all to fell and buck, I don’t spend my days in my backyard cutting cookies so a powerful yet light saw is what I’m after.

It's the nature of people.

I'm surprised a 346xp or an 044 wasn't suggested.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
And the older you get the more and more weight becomes a real concern. Sure I wish Stihl and Husqvarna would allow us to plug in their saws, but if things are designed right, there should never be a need, the vast majority of repairs are exactly the same as a regular carb saw.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wish Stihl and Husqvarna would allow us to plug in their saws
I think I understand where your coming from but I think it’s more of a dealer problem than a problem with stihl/husky in my opinion. Most dealers are still surprisingly incompetent. Despite the autotune/mtronic being out for more than a decade now.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your saw is just another toy for you.....then 1300.00 seems like a lot for a toy.

If you fell timber for a living and own skidders, loaders, log trucks, etc....then 1300.00 for a lightweight powerful felling saw is a drop in the bucket.

I talk to men regularly who are getting older, and still carry a saw through the woods daily to feed their families. What do they want? A saw that is both light, and powerful. Period.

Cost is irrelevant if it helps them get through the day productively.
I completely agree, personally if I were still logging I'd have a 462 carb version. I'm not a Stihl guy but it's light, powerful and I can get it with a carb which is important to me because no have no dealers so I need to be able to fix my own equipment.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I completely agree, personally if I were still logging I'd have a 462 carb version. I'm not a Stihl guy but it's light, powerful and I can get it with a carb which is important to me because no have no dealers so I need to be able to fix my own equipment.

You can fix the M-Tronic saws same as the non MT saws. On a Stihl the user can do the reset without having any special tools, or computer software.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can fix the M-Tronic saws same as the non MT saws. On a Stihl the user can do the reset without having any special tools, or computer software.
Good to know!

av8or3

So many saw ... so little time...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are days when the 500i feels heavy to me. I only go for it when there is big wood that I HAVE to cut up. I got a warm feeling about my 066 one day and got it down to play. By the time I got it out to the wood yard I was already tired of carrying it. Age is a *b-word , but it’s better than dead I guess. Buy the 500i. Way cool saw.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I understand where your coming from but I think it’s more of a dealer problem than a problem with stihl/husky in my opinion. Most dealers are still surprisingly incompetent. Despite the autotune/mtronic being out for more than a decade now.
Exactly. And for myself, they're zero Husky dealers near by. And when I mean near I'm taking under 200 or so miles. Whether or not I like to admit it, this is 100% Stihl country.

Last edited: