372 case repair

OutrageousBob

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
E987F521-2CAE-412C-88B1-3BA39F9CA0AA.jpeg New member first post.

I'm a firewood hack who likes saws. I’ve been rebuilding Husky’s of late and have this 372 on my bench. It’s got a great top end, bearings feel great but will most likely get replaced with the seals and fuel lines. That being said it suffers from case damage. How would you all repair this or would you? Is epoxy an option or would it have to be welded? Or new case halve? Thanks for the input. -Bob.

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 232324 New member first post.

I'm a firewood hack who likes saws. I’ve been rebuilding Husky’s of late and have this 372 on my bench. It’s got a great top end, bearings feel great but will most likely get replaced with the seals and fuel lines. That being said it suffers from case damage. How would you all repair this or would you? Is epoxy an option or would it have to be welded? Or new case halve? Thanks for the input. -Bob.
Welcome to the site
It could be welded or the case half replaced
Easier if you don't have anyone
To weld it.

OutrageousBob

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Believe it or not the brake handle hole still has usable threads. Does look funky though!

I’ll look for a used case half or whole one if I can’t get it welded.

As for welding, is welding the magnesium alloy much different than aluminum? I have access to some really good welders but I would wager none of them has welded magnesium alloy.

Thanks, Bob.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are doing bearings for sure .. then a different case might be logical You will have to save the old one to qualify for CAD benefits some one may come along in the same situation as you. Welcome to OPE

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can weld it, but it will need to be broken down to just the case half as I'm all but certain I'd burn the case gasket welding that much material.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Lots of options here, I would take into consideration the condition of the rest of the saw and what type of service would the saw see after it's repaired. If the saw has a bunch of other needs a parts saw might be a good option. There's used and new cases as well as the aftermarket cases. The popularity of this model should mean a good supply of used stuff out there. Welding can be a great option and has saved numerous saw's from the scrap pile. A case half would be my last resort as they don't always have the same deck heights, doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means there may be more to it than just a simple replacement. Also don't forget about the red headed step children out there, a little orange paint can put a Jonsered part in service if that's what you can find by chance.
Usually if you are flexible and patient, the right thing will come along.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Lots of options here, I would take into consideration the condition of the rest of the saw and what type of service would the saw see after it's repaired. If the saw has a bunch of other needs a parts saw might be a good option. There's used and new cases as well as the aftermarket cases. The popularity of this model should mean a good supply of used stuff out there. Welding can be a great option and has saved numerous saw's from the scrap pile. A case half would be my last resort as they don't always have the same deck heights, doesn't mean it can't be done, it just means there may be more to it than just a simple replacement. Also don't forget about the red headed step children out there, a little orange paint can put a Jonsered part in service if that's what you can find by chance.
Usually if you are flexible and patient, the right thing will come along.
How many colors can be put together on that model or type of saw? 4-5?

OutrageousBob

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@srcarr52, yes it’s getting new bearings as this is a 2011 x-torq. Other than the drop damage it’s in good shape. Looked at your work, very nice and that’s coming from a metal fabricator/welder from two decades ago. I am versed in TIG/MiG/stick but never did much of anything with aluminum and no longer have equipment. I do however manage 2 dozen contractors. Half of them are welders but again not much aluminum mostly high purity piping orbital and tig. I’ll see if any of them are up for it. Appreciate your offer but in these crazy times I Probably won’t be shipping anything soon.

@Stump Shot,

I’m a firewood guy who already has too many saws! Just like working on them. I have another 372 as well as a 362xp, 359 and Dolmar 6100 in rotation. In other words I have no reason to be in a rush!

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@srcarr52, yes it’s getting new bearings as this is a 2011 x-torq. Other than the drop damage it’s in good shape. Looked at your work, very nice and that’s coming from a metal fabricator/welder from two decades ago. I am versed in TIG/MiG/stick but never did much of anything with aluminum and no longer have equipment. I do however manage 2 dozen contractors. Half of them are welders but again not much aluminum mostly high purity piping orbital and tig. I’ll see if any of them are up for it. Appreciate your offer but in these crazy times I Probably won’t be shipping anything soon.

@Stump Shot,

I’m a firewood guy who already has too many saws! Just like working on them. I have another 372 as well as a 362xp, 359 and Dolmar 6100 in rotation. In other words I have no reason to be in a rush!

ERAZ92A filler rod, sames welder settings as for aluminum.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not familiar with the 362. heard of 357, 359, 365,372. Wen did they slide the 362 in there? I love 60cc saws and never handled one. Now I feel like I need to own one.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am not familiar with the 362. heard of 357, 359, 365,372. Wen did they slide the 362 in there? I love 60cc saws and never handled one. Now I feel like I need to own one.

It's a smaller cylinder version of the 372/365 with a small bar mount like the 357/359 as I recall.
Maybe @Spike60 can help with the time line and any further details.

Carhartt

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm. Not seeing the benefits of 362.

I have a 390 case like the one you need fixed. I swapped it out with a donor bottom. Ive never found anyone who could weld them locally. I can tell you a few who can not...

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I own a 362 cylinder. But no piston and I can't find one:mad:

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husky has 7 pistons left and a half dozen cylinder kits for the 362XP. Kind of an rare item and I doubt there are any AM options for that.

Cool cylinder with a large single transfer port on each side; unlike the 365 and 372. Big "hook" to it. Strong runner and real quick acceleration. 47mm bore and like the maligned 48mm 365 kit doesn't get much attention or respect. Got one on a Jonny 2163W I got from Eric, @taplinhill One of my favorite saws, and I've never considered changing the top end. :)

There are two 362 cases though. Originals were the small mount bar along with the Jonsered versions. Slightly lighter for guys who always read the decimal points. You can feel it a bit, but certainly not dramatic. There are 60 sets of cases if anyone wants an odd project to build, and you can obviously put any top end on. You thinking what I'm thinking Walt? @afleetcommand

The 362 went away for a while, and then was reintroduced, but with the same large mount case as the 365/372. I think around 2007? Easy to tell visually, just by looking at the clutch side cause the bar studs are spaced differently and the early saws use their own clutch cover where the new ones share the 365/372 cover.

taplinhill

Hiding behind the Chainsaws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ah, the 2163w aka, "Little Bert". One of the few inanimate objects I've ever owned that had a name. That saw was hard to part with but it went to a good home.