malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Everyone-

I feel bad coming back after all this time just to ask a question... For whatever reason I just haven't been keeping up with OPE forum anymore. Probably due to other feeds that consume my time etc.

At any rate -- I dropped a tree for my neighbor (probably 80 or 90 foot oak) and cut up majority of it pretty quickly with my MOFO MS440/460 hybrid -- great saw.

My neighbor has a probably 15-20 year old MS270 he asked if I could go go through it.
I plan to change fuel line, filter, check out plug, pull muffler... I won't do much since it's a clamshell setup.

I think 90% of his trouble is chain choice and he needs help filing. I'm going to set him up with the right bar/chain to cut great etc.

I'd love to find a muffler that is already modded as I can't weld anything etc.

Anyone know where I could get a dual port muffler that will fit up to an MS270. I had found on ebay some places that produce new mufflers already setup with multiple ports or bull horn config for Husky 372 and 346 which has worked out great. Be nice to find something similar for the MS270.

I think a muffler mod and then re-tune the saw will be great. The carb is healthy and no air leaks or anything... just needs good cutting setup and I think a different muffler would be great. Could return the old muffler unmodified in case he doesn't like the extra noise of an opened up muffler.

See you guys. I hope all of you are well.

I've been doing some side projects with Dan (Paragonbuilder) mainly networks or camera setups as opposed to saw related stuff! I think he suffers from the same syndrome in that he doesn't spend much time on the forums.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think that particular rapscallion has welding stuffs…
The coils are known to fail make sure you clean around it.

Can you open up under the deflector. Is there a tube you can short circuit inside the muffler?

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d be more than happy to weld whatever you need done Eric. You would just have to mark out where you want the deflector.

They are one giant PITA of a saw a swore off a while ago. Half plastic, half magnesium clamshell. Odd design.

Only saw I ever worked on that had a bad flywheel magnet. Actually could not believe it. I still have a bunch of fasteners for that saw if you’d like them.

Hope you are doing well.

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
1:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a timing bump coupled well with a muffler mod on a 270.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Something like this would be ideal.

I've reached out to Rich to see if he might do this for me. He's retired, but still seems to tinker with his "West Coast Muscle Saws" setup...

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found a gentleman from Oklahoma on the Facebook chainsaw repair group who has done a slew of these.
I'll be sending him an extra one I acquired and have him do the mods. Then my neighbors saw can have the stock original if he doesn't like the louder noise or keep the modded muffler.
Going to do the dual port setup like Rich did in the above video.

Thanks for the offer Al! No worries. Carrying along pretty well. Have done a few projects with Dan (network and camera stuff) and hoping someday we can get the band back together!

Cheers.