High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

346NE vs 254XP vs 55CP...Sibling Rivalry. Results are in!!!!

Toad22t

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So you got rid of the 346NE, the 254, and the 262 because you like the 562xp more for most of your needs, or because you have other smaller saws than the 562xp?

I'm a firewood cutter for myself and really the 562 takes care of all my needs. I just got rid of the 346 because I needed the money more then I needed the saw. I can always get more saws. The 254 and 262 were pretty much shelf queens. Great running saws but to nice for me to use them in the woods. I have 2 rare 254s left. At one time I had 20+ saws and 13 were ported. I'm down to 3 ported saws now.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
5:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm a firewood cutter for myself and really the 562 takes care of all my needs. I just got rid of the 346 because I needed the money more then I needed the saw. I can always get more saws. The 254 and 262 were pretty much shelf queens. Great running saws but to nice for me to use them in the woods. I have 2 rare 254s left. At one time I had 20+ saws and 13 were ported. I'm down to 3 ported saws now.
The struggle is real.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think the 254 can be made stronger than the 357, but it will take a higher level of mods to do it. The once he same is done to the 357 it's back to the drawing board again. Kinda goes to show that generally speaking, whichever is stronger in stock form will always be stronger step for step when mods come into play. Like the 254 v 346, despite some advancements in design the 346 has, the 254 is simply the stronger saw from the get-go.
More cc in a 254 as a start.
You ever wondered why Husqvarna did these odd size cc saws ? Im thinking mostly about the 254 - 357 .
The 254 ends up being that bit more HP than most 50cc saws of there time and the 357 ends up a little less than the 60cc class saws.
Both are plenty of saw in there own right but just out of step with the usual groups. Then there was the Husq 55 at 53cc !! then there is the 257....that... WAS ...57ccc and the husq 51 also ...51cc o_O :D.Just how did they end up at the numbers I wonder. There very well may be reasoning for it all but I don't know for sure.

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More cc in a 254 as a start.
You ever wondered why Husqvarna did these odd size cc saws ? Im thinking mostly about the 254 - 357 .
The 254 ends up being that bit more HP than most 50cc saws of there time and the 357 ends up a little less than the 60cc class saws.
Both are plenty of saw in there own right but just out of step with the usual groups. Then there was the Husq 55 at 53cc !! then there is the 257....that... WAS ...57ccc and the husq 51 also ...51cc o_O :D.Just how did they end up at the numbers I wonder. There very well may be reasoning for it all but I don't know for sure.
I agree, that mid 50cc size is a bit weird. Maybe they had a pair of dice with bore and stroke on them and built what they rolled...lol! But whatever they did, the 254 and 357 sure do run good.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So where are we at for a 254 vs 357 shootout? I'm curious to hear feedback on a usable torque curve for both saws, not just which one is faster.
The 357 is definitely all around more powerful, not just faster. Using the same cutting equipment, the 357 can be pushed through full bar cuts while the 254 can’t be pushed as easily, it’s a little touchy and more prone to stall the clutch. I have a video of the two maybe it’s a good time to put it up.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always heard the 357 was a peaky little fast revving saw that was ideal for limbing and smaller trees, but didn't have the displacement of the previous generation 60cc saw (262xp), which partially contributed to it never becoming super popular. It needed to keep the revs up because it was the 357 that was prone to falling on it's face if it fell out of its power band. Something about the tiny little transfer ports and case stuffers. The 359 I heard had a wider more forgiving power band and was better at pulling a full bar, but it wasn't an XP so it too didn't gain a strong following.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always heard the 357 was a peaky little fast revving saw that was ideal for limbing and smaller trees, but didn't have the displacement of the previous generation 60cc saw (262xp), which partially contributed to it never becoming super popular. It needed to keep the revs up because it was the 357 that was prone to falling on it's face if it fell out of its power band. Something about the tiny little transfer ports and case stuffers. The 359 I heard had a wider more forgiving power band and was better at pulling a full bar, but it wasn't an XP so it too didn't gain a strong following.
My 357 is definitely not peaky.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So where are we at for a 254 vs 357 shootout? I'm curious to hear feedback on a usable torque curve for both saws, not just which one is faster.
I've put my two 254 porting project on hold Fred, at the moment its theory from my side.

357 was a strong runner out of the box.
254 had its limitation since it should not give the 262 competetion.
254 has a max intake size, a narrow exhaust port, limited muffler, and of course a tad smaller carb compared against 262. They sure left a lot on the table for us.

I think, my theory, no head gasket bring them easily over 200 psi, their uppers are big, lowers small. Open up the lowers, wide the exhaust, and of course the muffler need a lot of work. A 198/199 carb, airfilter troat modd, advanced timings as they respond well on it.

Who will win of them?, I'm not sure a ported 357 will win even most of us think it will.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What you hear isn’t always true

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
All I can say is I always loved my 357 when it was bone stock. Now that I've spiced it up...well....

I STILL say it's the best one saw plan going, bar none.

And no, it's far from what I would consider "peaky". Dog it into hardwood with 20" and 3/8 and it just eats.

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bringing this thread back up because I want to see a rematch of these saws in the warm weather. Also, if you can bring the 550XP NE / V2 / Mach II / whatever along to see how it keeps up or excels; not just in cutting cookies, but in qualitative analysis like vibration, balance, fuel economy, durability, weight etc.

Would be interesting to compare and contrast pre-EPA reg saws with today’s standard. Someone told me today, “there’s no replacement for displacement, except for technology.”

Discuss..

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bringing this thread back up because I want to see a rematch of these saws in the warm weather. Also, if you can bring the 550XP NE / V2 / Mach II / whatever along to see how it keeps up or excels; not just in cutting cookies, but in qualitative analysis like vibration, balance, fuel economy, durability, weight etc.

Would be interesting to compare and contrast pre-EPA reg saws with today’s standard. Someone told me today, “there’s no replacement for displacement, except for technology.”

Discuss..
I agree with that displacement analogy. Time and time again we see saws that are more technologically advanced punch way above their displacement equals that are carbureted.

Not sure when we would be able to bring a MkII into the mix, none of us own one and have no intentions of picking one up any time soon.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well Josh, I have one. Whenever we get around to doing the make up from our March/April rain out we can mix them all in.

Most important "qualitative analysis" from my end is that the M2's are going out and staying out.
Didn’t think of that Bob will be a fun comparison and yes we definitely need to get down there.

That’s great feedback on the MKII’s.