254xp won't f***ing spark!

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
1:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a non running 254xp for €40 a while back. I think it has a spurious piston and cylinder.
I cleaned out the carb and fitted a new fuel filter and did a general clean up. I also found a bar and chain for it.
However, I can't for the life of me get this damn thing to spark. I have tried three different plugs, one of which I know for dead certain works. I have also tried three different coils, one of which I also know for dead certain works.
I have tried starting it with and without the switch connected.
In desperation I tried changing the flywheel. Unfortunately the flywheel I tried came off an older 254 and the crankshaft wouldn't budge when it was fitted.
As you can see in one of the photos the cylinder has a crack in the top fin. There is no scoring or damage to the cylinder other than that but the piston has marks on the top and a big gouge running vertical along the intake side.

I'm really stuck with this one.

IMG_20240316_181807.jpgIMG_20240316_181817.jpgIMG_20240316_174105.jpg

hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you try grounding the spark plugs against the cylinder to see if each had spark and if each coil tried produced spark? Have you tried pressure testing the carb and cylinder? Seems like that unit has been knocked around, might be an air leak somewhere. That is a puzzler!

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Chainmale

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the crank bearings ok?
There's a lot of debris on top of the piston
I didn't look to see. This was a cheap fix to be honest. The cylinder I fitted came from a scrap saw I bought for €45 and the meteor piston cost €30 ish. The saw itself cost €40 and the bar and chain came off a non running 350 I bought for €50.
So I'm doing okay out of it so far. I have bearings, and a meteor piston and cylinder is about £120 which I can pick up next time I'm in the UK.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The marks on the side of that piston look exactly like the marks left on a 257 that I just got. Turns out the metal ball keeper on the flywheel side broke off a piece but was still retaining the balls in the correct position. If I were working on that saw, I would check those ball keepers because if that was what happened, more will follow.

Agrarian

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
the flywheel I tried came off an older 254 and the crankshaft wouldn't budge when it was fitted
This may be the issue. The early flywheels in this family were designed to also accept the magnet to allow the creation of an XPG flywheel at the factory. You bump into that with a 262 as well. The early 262 flywheel having the slots for the magnet will not fit on a 261.

Coupe

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made myself up a lead with 2 alligator clips on it. Just take your plug out plug it into spark
lead and earth the other clip on a fin or were it can earth to motor.
Then you are hands free.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The marks on the side of that piston look exactly like the marks left on a 257 that I just got. Turns out the metal ball keeper on the flywheel side broke off a piece but was still retaining the balls in the correct position. If I were working on that saw, I would check those ball keepers because if that was what happened, more will follow.
Yes, I think the bearings are the problem. The saw ran "rough" for a while then wouldn't restart. Exactly like how it wouldn't start with the old piston and cylinder. I think collapsed bearings have destroyed the piston and cylinder I put in.
Oh well, they were second hand parts anyways.

rzonk

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a non running 254xp for €40 a while back. I think it has a spurious piston and cylinder.
I cleaned out the carb and fitted a new fuel filter and did a general clean up. I also found a bar and chain for it.
However, I can't for the life of me get this damn thing to spark. I have tried three different plugs, one of which I know for dead certain works. I have also tried three different coils, one of which I also know for dead certain works.
I have tried starting it with and without the switch connected.
In desperation I tried changing the flywheel. Unfortunately the flywheel I tried came off an older 254 and the crankshaft wouldn't budge when it was fitted.
As you can see in one of the photos the cylinder has a crack in the top fin. There is no scoring or damage to the cylinder other than that but the piston has marks on the top and a big gouge running vertical along the intake side.

I'm really stuck with this one.

View attachment 412887View attachment 412888View attachment 412889
Compression?

rzonk

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Go out in the dark and look for spark I had a pioneer the same way piston was gone not enough compression but I swore I didn’t have spark,after piston and cyl fired right up
Couldn't even see it in the dark.

Junk Meister

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a few kinds of spark tester gadgets but find it easier to ground the plug to th cylinder with my hand and finger, then give it a "Slow" and turn see if it bites, If not turn it a bit faster, if that doesn't get ya bit give it a a real fast whirl. This procedure makes one really question ones friends unless you are spinning the flywheel and they are the lightbulb.
I have a couple of Jonsered 2054 s' and assume them to be the stepchild to the Husky 254. one would Kind of run when I got it ?10? yrs ago. The oil tank was oozing bar oil out of the seam. I should pull it out and give it a "LOOK SEE"

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s the bearings and seals. I would split that case and do it all the way. Then vacuum check case, bet if you do it now it will not hold vacuum.