2nd Gen Ram Pickups

Hoser

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir. I’ve seen them enough I figured they were factory but didn’t know for how long

Reactions: Lnk

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
7:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New batteries got hooked up and the gauges work again! Kinda a bittersweet victory, but a victory nonetheless.
Do you still have a draw to chase down, or do you think it was just the batteries going bad?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
5:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you still have a draw to chase down, or do you think it was just the batteries going bad?
The only draws I found were my security system kicking on and the battery fuse completing a circuit, so I'm gonna say the batteries just died, maybe from the cold. The gauge funk might've been the computer connectors you mentioned, or all my electrical issues were from dying batteries right from the get-go.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strange that Dodge didnt make crew cab 2nd gens. They made them before and after.

I heard a few reasons why dodge didn't make a crew cab 1994-02, but I never bought into any of them. Chevy & ford both made crew cabs at the time 2nd gen rams were made. And Dodge used to make a crew cab.

There was two aftermarket company's that were stretching 2nd gen rams and making them crew cabs. And you could have your truck shipped from the plant, right to either company to have it stretched.

Bayer auto from Elrosa MN, and Custom Conversions out of Cleburne Texas, both made crew cabs from 2nd gen Ram's.

Bayer used, brand new stock steel ram front doors and modified them for the rear doors. Custom Conversions rear doors were all fiberglass. I've seen several of each company's trucks in person. Bayer trucks looked factory and the fit & finish was top notch. Custom Conversions were pretty sloppy for fit & finish, and their back doors were cheesy. IMHO.

Back in the day the price was right around 10-12 grand for a crew cab, depending on options you wanted. The Dodge dealer were I bought a few new trucks, had brochures in the showroom, for Bayer auto, and Custom Conversions, showing their conversions.

They each had a full crew cab 4 door conversion, a suburban-ish type 4 door Ram, and they also had a 6 door conversion for when you needed the entire mall parking lot to turn around....

DSCF0360.JPG

Last edited:

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir. I’ve seen them enough I figured they were factory but didn’t know for how long

1994-1999 if you ordered tow mirrors, you got those big 4 point mounted stainless steel ones.

2000 & newer is when they started using the plastic flip up tow mirrors everyone makes fun of.

14739249411445753087.jpg

28bc8e7786efdf10221860101d67a7a1.jpg

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 99 has the black plastic “sport” mirrors, if you will. I’ve been wanting to get the newer flip up style and will probably get the kit from Geno’s Garage. I can’t see much when I hook on a trailer with my current factory mirrors. But I will say, if I get the 4th gen mirrors, I won’t be leaving them flipped up all the time. I have power and heat in my mirrors now and don’t want to lose either of those options.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 99 has the black plastic “sport” mirrors, if you will. I’ve been wanting to get the newer flip up style and will probably get the kit from Geno’s Garage. I can’t see much when I hook on a trailer with my current factory mirrors. But I will say, if I get the 4th gen mirrors, I won’t be leaving them flipped up all the time. I have power and heat in my mirrors now and don’t want to lose either of those options.

Those 6x9 stock mirrors kinda suck.

The 1/4 convex mirror in the corners on the flip up tow mirrors are handy for seeing things in your blind spots next to & behind you.

Even when towing my 4 place enclosed sled trailer, I hardly ever flip the mirrors up. My tow mirrors are power & heated.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2nd gen flip ups work well. That’s what’s on my ‘95. Fords look better.

I do not like my ‘11 mirrors. The fish eye is oriented wrong unless they are flipped up, and flipped up they create a blind spot to the front/side

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, at 397,400+ miles I think the NV4500 is finally giving up. Even with new hydraulics and a fluid change, I’m having troubles shifting gears. Oil had quite a bit of brass in it, so I think it’s safe to say that the synchros are failing.. Been shifting without the clutch better, but getting harder each day.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, at 397,400+ miles I think the NV4500 is finally giving up. Even with new hydraulics and a fluid change, I’m having troubles shifting gears. Oil had quite a bit of brass in it, so I think it’s safe to say that the synchros are failing.. Been shifting without the clutch better, but getting harder each day.
I used to double clutch mine when it was getting long in the tooth.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can drive without synchros for a long time if you know how to double de-clutch. A skill everyone should have.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can drive without synchros for a long time if you know how to double de-clutch. A skill everyone should have.
I can, and I do sometimes as well. Doesn’t seem to be any different from not using the clutch at all and just speed matching.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can, and I do sometimes as well. Doesn’t seem to be any different from not using the clutch at all and just speed matching.
Yup, Same thing

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Never heard it called double declutching before. Always just speed matching.
clutch, pull into netral, let out clutch, blip throttle, clutch, put in gear, declutch is the way I have always done a downshift. Can do it without the clutch, let off gas and pull out of gear, blip throttle with light pressure on gear selector and will fall into gear when the revs match. Many names for it I guess. All achieve the same thing. Racing gearboxes with straight cut gears, you must double declutch.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
clutch, pull into netral, let out clutch, blip throttle, clutch, put in gear, declutch is the way I have always done a downshift. Can do it without the clutch, let off gas and pull out of gear, blip throttle with light pressure on gear selector and will fall into gear when the revs match. Many names for it I guess. All achieve the same thing. Racing gearboxes with straight cut gears, you must double declutch.
Yeah nothing new, just a different name for the same thing.