200T Video & Seal Thread

Lone Wolf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never used anything but oem seals in a 200T.

I think they are designed to be very low in fiction so they don't hold back the engine at all.

As to what they are made from?

Who cares???
Well if it comes with Bakelite and the cheaper rubber ones are available after market I do have an interest .

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are 2 different materials here...at least. ..frame is one material....seal is another.

20160218_091916.jpg

burkesw

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
:icon_popcorn:

very interesting stuff!

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I'm stumped....according to Wikipedia. ..bake lite is not flexible. But it IS brown. Whatever is doing the seal is brown....but it is definitely flexible.

The frame is definitely some type of plastic...with a black outer coating and green innerds. Does anyone KNOW what these materials are?

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
because if the seal material IS bakelite, then we really DO have to compare it against nitrile rubber for properties.... and then we have to ask ....why aren't other seals made this way? someone has the answer, it just isn't me.

I am not positive the seal material is bakelite, and honestly believed the frame alone was bakelite
just tryin ta learn me somefin

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
1:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
because if the seal material IS bakelite, then we really DO have to compare it against nitrile rubber for properties.... and then we have to ask ....why aren't other seals made this way? someone has the answer, it just isn't me.

I am not positive the seal material is bakelite, and honestly believed the frame alone was bakelite
just tryin ta learn me somefin
Super sleuth!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Most likely the reason the seal got forked up was because it got installed back assward.

I looked up my theory of roller verses ball bearings and was exactly correct according to two bearing manufactures regarding side thrust and ease of rotation .

Now if you stop and think about it and are old enough to have worked on a 10 series McCulloch they used a ball bearing on one side and really a needle roller bearing on the other.They by the way almost never go bad .Nor do the seals .Of course that side track has nothing to do with the subject in question .

lwn9186

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the frame is bakelite and the actual seal material is PTFE.

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al, I installed 2 backward. learned my lesson. Busted another 2 trying the deep socket approach. learned my lesson there. best to press these in w/ a bolt (see my vid) BEFORE the case halves go together...best way I have seen.

though roller bearings distribute forces differently, they HAVE to increase friction. there is WAY more "bearing" surface contact on a roller bearing than a ball bearing. this makes no sense to me otherwise.

LWN.... PTFE! ???? really??? polytetrafluroethylene? ??? I'm intrigued! I DID think the frame was bakelite, but I'm not sure I've ever heard of green bakelite. now we are talkin though...and I'm learning!

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Too me it seems like the roller bearing would be less prone to stress because the pressures would be spread over a larger area. The rollers have much more surface area than a ball. now which has less friction that I don't know.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You could almost argue that because of the lower pressure there is left resistance, which I guess is the same thing as less friction.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Mattyo

Youtube speciawist
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like turf tires on a tractor. Weight spread over larger area....

But more friction :)

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Regarding roller bearings vs ball bearings...this is made as a lightweight saw. They probably figured the exact same crankcase with 1.5" diameter ball bearings was an ounce (or more) heavier. And being up in a tree, most get beat up or smashed before rollers would wear out

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well there have been a number of 200's and the like that have met an untimely death due to a fall from 60 feet up .Reminds of ole egg head Humpty Dumpty --

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To be quite honest I don't remember if I used a deep socket,piston wrist pin or bored out a piece of aluminum round stock to drive those seals in the pockets .One thing's for certain I didn't thump them in with a 4 pound ball peen ,BFH so to speak .--tain't what you do 'tis how you do it .