Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
4:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How to these 2 compare? I have a 500 and it is my go to saw pretty much all the time. I've always wanted an 064 but keep talking myself out of it because of the rubber AV. Not sure if it matters but my first saw was a ms390 and it made my hands go numb. I though that was normal until I got a 261 and realized my hands didnt have to feel that way after 1 tank of fuel. I've never had another rubber av saw since but maybe its time to try again.
I don’t notice as much fatigue difference between my 460 (rubber mounts) and my 462 (spring mounts) as I do feel in the cut. What I mean is, with the 460, I can feel a lot more of what’s going on, sooner, or before it’s too late. Like when the tree is starting to squeeze the chain. It took me quite a while to learn that feel with the spring mounted saws because they absorb so much. I remember when I was first handed a 441, I was having a great day felling timber with my 460 and then we swapped - I pinched the bar on the next few trees consecutively because I was sawing by “feel” and not by sight. I handed the saw back and cussed that 441 after that for a while. It was just a totally different feel in the cut.

Last edited:

Hundred Acre Wood

Full-time Slacker
Local time
5:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How to these 2 compare? I have a 500 and it is my go to saw pretty much all the time. I've always wanted an 064 but keep talking myself out of it because of the rubber AV. Not sure if it matters but my first saw was a ms390 and it made my hands go numb. I though that was normal until I got a 261 and realized my hands didnt have to feel that way after 1 tank of fuel. I've never had another rubber av saw since but maybe its time to try again.

I've had my 500i for almost a year with a couple dozen tanks through it. So... very light use compared to a professional. Take that for what it's worth.

I definitely agree about the AV. The 500i AV is hands down superior to the 046, as you would expect. Between that and the throttle response, my 046 gets much less use now. I run the 046 with a 20" and the 500i now has a 28", so I will swap between them for that reason. I weighed them both recently and the 046/20" ES bar weighs 1/2 pound more than the 500i/28" Light bar. 19.3lb vs 18.8lb respectively. The 500i is just 25 years of improvements wrapped up in a package. The only downside to the 500i is how thirsty it is. The 046 sips fuel in comparison. Small price to pay for everything else IMHO.

Power wise they're close but the 500i definitely has noticeably more high RPM power. The 046 still seems to have more low end grunt/torque though. They're both great saws.

Part of me wants to retire my 034, so I'd have an excuse to get a 261 and all the better things that come with it (power-to-weight ratio, AV, etc).

wap13

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had my 500i for almost a year with a couple dozen tanks through it. So... very light use compared to a professional. Take that for what it's worth.

I definitely agree about the AV. The 500i AV is hands down superior to the 046, as you would expect. Between that and the throttle response, my 046 gets much less use now. I run the 046 with a 20" and the 500i now has a 28", so I will swap between them for that reason. I weighed them both recently and the 046/20" ES bar weighs 1/2 pound more than the 500i/28" Light bar. 19.3lb vs 18.8lb respectively. The 500i is just 25 years of improvements wrapped up in a package. The only downside to the 500i is how thirsty it is. The 046 sips fuel in comparison. Small price to pay for everything else IMHO.

Power wise they're close but the 500i definitely has noticeably more high RPM power. The 046 still seems to have more low end grunt/torque though. They're both great saws.

Part of me wants to retire my 034, so I'd have an excuse to get a 261 and all the better things that come with it (power-to-weight ratio, AV, etc).

I feel pretty bright now..... I read it as 064.... not 046. Never been that interested in the 046/460 (no reason just never really been on my radar) but wouldnt mind trying a 461. Again, rubber mounts though.

I have 2 261s and have not plans to part with either. One lives on my truck and I use it when needed but if I am going to cut firewood I rarely run either. I usually just run the 500. I have other saws too but the 500 just does it for me right now. Never ran an 034 but my point being you may not want to part with it to get a 261.

I don’t notice as much fatigue difference between my 460 (rubber mounts) and my 462 (spring mounts) as feel in the cut. What I mean is, with the 460, I can feel a lot more of what’s going on, sooner, or before it’s too late. Like when the tree is starting to squeeze the chain. It took me quite a while to learn that feel with the spring mounted saws because they absorb so much. I remember when I was first handed a 441, I was having a great day felling timber with my 460 and then we swapped - I pinched the bar on the next few trees consecutively because I was sawing by “feel” and not by sight. I handed the saw back and cussed that 441 after that for a while. It was just a totally different feel in the cut.

Very interesting. I'm just firewood hack and dont drop a lot of trees. I have the luxury of letting nature knock them down most of the time then I take care of the rest. Great point tough, totally makes sense to me. I run equipment quite a bit and sounds kind of like the difference in having your controls hooked directly to the hydraulic valves vs electric over hydraulic connections. Definitely a different feel.

Last edited:

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
wondering whats your guys picks for the strongest 81cc and under saws ported or stock
My pick is the solo 665/7910 ported. I heard the Husqvarna 181/281 can be real good but never run one of them. Lets hear your picks
I've never got to run a 181 either but they are legends. Had two 281s running in my hands I put together for a friend, but I never cut with them. The class you mentioned is my favorite saw class and size, for me today it's 3, the 500i the 461, and my ported 572. I have never had the pleasure of running a Dolmar yet, but would love too 7900 has always been appealing.

Normzilla

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I have been ahuge 046 and Ms 460 fan, cut hundreds of trees looked many many hours on both. When the 461 came out it became my favorite of the 3, smoother less vibration at least feels smoother to me. Little more stump power I think of the 3. So I've ended up putting many hours in all size wood, mostly big wood with my county saw the 461. I had a sweet ms 460 at home, and sold it to my boss to get my 500i. In a perfect world I would have it still and the 500 lol. But the 500 is a class of its own as you have seen so I have not looked back. But running my 500 weekly at home in tree work and falling, and doing daily work with the 461 of the same at my county job, the 500 has a different and faster throttle response and speed, the 461 might have a hair more grunt in the stump. Like u mentioned of the 46. But between the 461 and 500 man two of the finest saws made imo, if I could only have one it would be the 500 but I'm such a fan of both. My favorite used to be the last.run of the 046s mags, but I'd pick a 461 over them today. I've had people ask me, 500 or 461 which should I buy? Now obviously discontinued I tell them either, but when the 461 was on sale here for 1k it was hard to pass, because normally CA price would be 1,300.

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been ahuge 046 and Ms 460 fan, cut hundreds of trees looked many many hours on both. When the 461 came out it became my favorite of the 3, smoother less vibration at least feels smoother to me. Little more stump power I think of the 3. So I've ended up putting many hours in all size wood, mostly big wood with my county saw the 461. I had a sweet ms 460 at home, and sold it to my boss to get my 500i. In a perfect world I would have it still and the 500 lol. But the 500 is a class of its own as you have seen so I have not looked back. But running my 500 weekly at home in tree work and falling, and doing daily work with the 461 of the same at my county job, the 500 has a different and faster throttle response and speed, the 461 might have a hair more grunt in the stump. Like u mentioned of the 46. But between the 461 and 500 man two of the finest saws made imo, if I could only have one it would be the 500 but I'm such a fan of both. My favorite used to be the last.run of the 046s mags, but I'd pick a 461 over them today. I've had people ask me, 500 or 461 which should I buy? Now obviously discontinued I tell them either, but when the 461 was on sale here for 1k it was hard to pass, because normally CA price would be 1,300.

I always thought a 461 felt smoother than a 046/460 as well.

People told me it was in my head..idk..