High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Modifying airboxes alongside mufflers....I can't be the only one!!

Cerberus

Cerberus the aardvark, not the hell-hound!!
Local time
11:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I didnt mock anything, im not here to hurt anyones feelings im here for information. If i hurt your feelings, i apologize however looking back at my Post i quoted a another member who in no way made you feel stupid or silly.

Imo writing a post quoting every single member is a bit odd, it is clear to me that constructive criticism is something you have trouble dealing with. Take things Lightly around here.

Sorry if my tone gave wrong impression I'm not butt-hurt although it was - and, left un-remedied, still is - an annoyance of mine. This thread's content is clear, Huskyboy hopped-in early and made a claim I found outlandish:
How much faster will the saw be when you defeat the air injection and the filter clogs faster ;)? Imo modifying the air box should only apply to old style filter setups with no air injection. Then it makes sense.
You gave it an enthusiastic "This"

I subsequently took you both to task, asking you actually explain WTH you (well, huskyboy, but you eagerly agreed w/ it) meant with the post of me somehow "defeating air injection" (how?) and, oddly since it should be obvious how & why my setup is cleaner, implying the filter will clog faster (this one is especially funny because I just cleaned the 355's filter or rather have it apart to do so and it's in great shape, but of course that would be expected, it's by-design, so I'm not butt-hurt I'm simply asking you or huskyboy to explain something you both previously asserted, if you cannot/will not then that's just as telling as a good positive answer (ie an explanation, though I suspect neither of you can provide one - for either claim but especially the filters-clogging claim), no answer is OK I just figure IF you guys had a valid critique it would be worth me hearing it, definitely not to be confused for being butt-hurt or emotional, it comes from the same place as you do IE getting information.

To say your post, or his, could be construed as "Constructive criticism" is ridiculous. Your derision of my posting style is non sequiter. You (or huskyboy) have replied since I asked you guys to elaborate, and neither of you has/can, am not emotional about it I just find it "cluttersome", if I had admin rights I would remove your posts if and when it was clear they could not be substantiated. False/incorrect information should bother you, too, and huskyboy's comment sits right near the top of my thread, implying my method clogs filters faster (when it's the opposite) as well as insinuation I'm "defeating air injection" despite no ability to explain what is meant by this? o_O

Point out this post was long, say you think I'm crying as I type, but please if you are about information then explain either of those two positions you'd so eagerly signed-onto earlier :deal:

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I didnt mock anything, im not here to hurt anyones feelings im here for information. If i hurt your feelings, i apologize however looking back at my Post i quoted a another member who in no way made you feel stupid or silly.

Imo writing a post quoting every single member is a bit odd, it is clear to me that constructive criticism is something you have trouble dealing with. Take things Lightly around here.

Sorry if my tone gave wrong impression I'm not butt-hurt although it was - and, left un-remedied, still is - an annoyance of mine. This thread's content is clear, Huskyboy hopped-in early and made a claim I found outlandish:
How much faster will the saw be when you defeat the air injection and the filter clogs faster ;)? Imo modifying the air box should only apply to old style filter setups with no air injection. Then it makes sense.

I subsequently took you both to task, asking you actually explain WTH you (well, huskyboy, but you eagerly agreed w/ it) meant with the post of me somehow "defeating air injection" (how?) and, oddly since it should be obvious how & why my setup is cleaner, implying the filter will clog faster (this one is especially funny because I just cleaned the 355's filter or rather have it apart to do so and it's in great shape, but of course that would be expected, it's by-design, so I'm not butt-hurt I'm simply asking you or huskyboy to explain something you both previously asserted, if you cannot/will not then that's just as telling as a good positive answer (ie an explanation, though I suspect neither of you can provide one - for either claim but especially the filters-clogging claim), no answer is OK I just figure IF you guys had a valid critique it would be worth me hearing it, definitely not to be confused for being butt-hurt or emotional, it comes from the same place as you do IE getting information.

To say your post, or his, could be construed as "Constructive criticism" is ridiculous. Your derision of my posting style is non sequiter. You (or huskyboy) have replied since I asked you guys to elaborate, and neither of you has/can, am not emotional about it I just find it "cluttersome", if I had admin rights I would remove your posts if and when it was clear they could not be substantiated. False/incorrect information should bother you, too, and huskyboy's comment sits right near the top of my thread, implying my method clogs filters faster (when it's the opposite) as well as insinuation I'm "defeating air injection" despite no ability to explain what is meant by this? o_O

Point out this post was long, say you think I'm crying as I type, but please if you are about information then explain either of those two positions you'd so eagerly signed-onto earlier :deal:

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well Cerby,
You certainl enjoy your admirals chair at your golden keyboard

Air injection from Husky or Stihl saws (I assume you have heard of them) takes air off the flywheel and captures or directs it into the airbox.
Simple.

Any Google search or manufacturers website has this information readily available.
Prolly would have taken you much less time to look it up than it did for you to put up those 3 same posts

They use air damms and/or deflectors to accomplish this.

Here is the deflector off of my 562, as I have removed it for fresh air entry instead

IMG_8728.JPG IMG_8741.JPG IMG_8742.JPG IMG_8743.JPG

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well Cerby,

Air injection from Husky or Stihl saws (I assume you have heard of them) takes air off the flywheel and captures or directs it into the airbox.
Simple.

Any Google search or manufacturers website has this information readily available.
Prolly would have taken you much less time to look it up than it did for you to put up those 3 same posts

Here is the deflector off of my 562, as I have removed it for fresh air entry instead

View attachment 264515 View attachment 264516 View attachment 264517 View attachment 264518

THIS

Cerberus

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
OK KneeDeep before you hurt your shoulder patting your back, please realize that his post Re the airflow of husky & stihl powerheads may not be the same as Echo ones. Furthermore, even if it is, it's MoparMyWay who knew it, not you, as you'd have simply responded with an answer instead of, what, 3 or 4 replies now that are all evasions & ad-homs? Uncertain you've got a single post of substance in this thread actually....at any rate you posted your first agreement with HuskyBoy right away despite zero attempt at reconciling that sentiment, with the Echo video I linked in post #1 (which I'm guessing you didn't read, which makes your fervor to have jumped-in all the more perplexing but whatever floats your boat ;) )
Here's the video, again, so hopefully you can understand where I am coming from:

[note: direction of the airflow being into the box would still not be a valid reason against making the airflow holes I've made, nor would making them somehow cause dirtier filters, but you never even attempted explanations as to how just confident statements or should I say agreements-with-others]

Well Cerby,
No in fact if I wasn't curious enough about this I'd have already bailed, 1 person trolling is usually enough to get me to bail but it's my thread and I care about learning here, the entirety of "the spat" revolves around his earlier enthusiasm Re a statement that my approach "dirties filters quicker" (which, for the Echo 355t, is unambiguously false, I did not mod its airbox the moment I got it and do know what its off-shelf filter sees), and then "took over" the thread when he wouldn't back-up his statements despite continued participation- I suspect your input may help 'even things out' and shine some light because you're the first poster to the thread who seems confident to talk about air-injection & airflow in this context :)

[I would've ignored it outright, except then anyone reading would've gotten a false-impression that my approach dirties filters faster which is simply false, I don't have a good way to test so I can't show hard #'s for the gains when you do this + muff mod but it'd suck to have everyone think that adding filtered airways increases dirt on the filter, hell I was surprised how clean my 355t's filter was when I went to clean it recently, and know from the past year that cleaning-intervals have markedly decreased]

Despite you thinking me the a-hole in this, I'm still glad you posted because it seems you may actually be the one to help resolve this (if I'd found this thread, and read 3 pages, I'd be pretty pissed that nobody was able to give a simple explanation of airflow(s) in our saws, heck I'm still getting the impression that there are vastly different airflow setups between your big rear-handle husky pictured above, and say 90%+ of sub-40cc climbsaws, but unsure - do expect your reply will fix that though :) )

Simple.

You'd be surprised, have googled and asked in this thread (many times) for clarity on this and most seem uncertain, am hoping you can explain why the Echo video I posted in my OP(and ^in this post, again) is showing flow going away from the airbox...cannot reconcile Echo's own Youtube, with what's being said here (which is what I used to think myself, IE that the air is pushed-into the airbox)

(also, kind of an aside, but if the echo youtube is wrong, and saws' airboxes are getting air pushed-into them from the flywheel, I'd still be modifying my airboxes the way I do. Why? Because these powerheads aren't taking air from a closed-system that allows compressed air, the carb will only take-in the air it needs for a stroke of the piston, so if there's positive pressure into the box from the flywheel there'd still be nothing 'taken away' from that stream by having an outlet past the filter on the outside of the airbox, the rushing air from the flywheel would still feed the carb and excess would go-out of the airbox via the filter, though if that were the case I'd expect to see dirt/debris on the inside-face of the filters I use for these airways, and that's not the case..)

Can't help suspect there may be differences between companies but still seems odd there'd be a full reverse in airflow direction for the flywheel//airbox portal, I expect Mopar may be able to shine some light which would be great after 3 pages of floundering towards something!

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ll try .....
Echo video: looks like they’re cleaning the air before the flywheel uses it to cool the saw. Got a picture of the recoil side of the saw ?

What other Echo models have this ?

Less words and less witt Cerby, please?

I live under a rock and my 50,000 page dictionary doesn’t fit

Piston Skirt

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:16 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ouch, what a hot topic.
In short - historically majority of ECHO’es (Kioritz) with G-force take away the air from the airbox, at appropriate flywheel speed.
It is done by connecting the airbox duct with low pressure area BEFORE flywheel, above the black plastic cowling. Involved recent models are: 310,352,370,400,490,500,501,550,590,600,620.
Actually the same channelling can be found on even older top handle models.
Now, to make things funnier, some models have used pressurised supply, similar to “air injection” systems, some examples are 360P, 4510.
Since the things aren’t funny enough, on some recent chainsaws ECHO are using both types of channels - pressurised supply and suction. Examples are 3510, 7310.
Of course, 7310 also has an additional particle separation function in the supply channel. Swirling air around the airfilter also keeps the dust away longer.

Too many words even for me, i’m done.

Last edited:

kneedeepinsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK KneeDeep before you hurt your shoulder patting your back, please realize that his post Re the airflow of husky & stihl powerheads may not be the same as Echo ones. Furthermore, even if it is, it's MoparMyWay who knew it, not you, as you'd have simply responded with an answer instead of, what, 3 or 4 replies now that are all evasions & ad-homs? Uncertain you've got a single post of substance in this thread actually....at any rate you posted your first agreement with HuskyBoy right away despite zero attempt at reconciling that sentiment, with the Echo video I linked in post #1 (which I'm guessing you didn't read, which makes your fervor to have jumped-in all the more perplexing but whatever floats your boat ;) )
Here's the video, again, so hopefully you can understand where I am coming from:

[note: direction of the airflow being into the box would still not be a valid reason against making the airflow holes I've made, nor would making them somehow cause dirtier filters, but you never even attempted explanations as to how just confident statements or should I say agreements-with-others]

No in fact if I wasn't curious enough about this I'd have already bailed, 1 person trolling is usually enough to get me to bail but it's my thread and I care about learning here, the entirety of "the spat" revolves around his earlier enthusiasm Re a statement that my approach "dirties filters quicker" (which, for the Echo 355t, is unambiguously false, I did not mod its airbox the moment I got it and do know what its off-shelf filter sees), and then "took over" the thread when he wouldn't back-up his statements despite continued participation- I suspect your input may help 'even things out' and shine some light because you're the first poster to the thread who seems confident to talk about air-injection & airflow in this context :)

[I would've ignored it outright, except then anyone reading would've gotten a false-impression that my approach dirties filters faster which is simply false, I don't have a good way to test so I can't show hard #'s for the gains when you do this + muff mod but it'd suck to have everyone think that adding filtered airways increases dirt on the filter, hell I was surprised how clean my 355t's filter was when I went to clean it recently, and know from the past year that cleaning-intervals have markedly decreased]

Despite you thinking me the a-hole in this, I'm still glad you posted because it seems you may actually be the one to help resolve this (if I'd found this thread, and read 3 pages, I'd be pretty pissed that nobody was able to give a simple explanation of airflow(s) in our saws, heck I'm still getting the impression that there are vastly different airflow setups between your big rear-handle husky pictured above, and say 90%+ of sub-40cc climbsaws, but unsure - do expect your reply will fix that though :) )

You'd be surprised, have googled and asked in this thread (many times) for clarity on this and most seem uncertain, am hoping you can explain why the Echo video I posted in my OP(and ^in this post, again) is showing flow going away from the airbox...cannot reconcile Echo's own Youtube, with what's being said here (which is what I used to think myself, IE that the air is pushed-into the airbox)

(also, kind of an aside, but if the echo youtube is wrong, and saws' airboxes are getting air pushed-into them from the flywheel, I'd still be modifying my airboxes the way I do. Why? Because these powerheads aren't taking air from a closed-system that allows compressed air, the carb will only take-in the air it needs for a stroke of the piston, so if there's positive pressure into the box from the flywheel there'd still be nothing 'taken away' from that stream by having an outlet past the filter on the outside of the airbox, the rushing air from the flywheel would still feed the carb and excess would go-out of the airbox via the filter, though if that were the case I'd expect to see dirt/debris on the inside-face of the filters I use for these airways, and that's not the case..)

Can't help suspect there may be differences between companies but still seems odd there'd be a full reverse in airflow direction for the flywheel//airbox portal, I expect Mopar may be able to shine some light which would be great after 3 pages of floundering towards something!
I am not claiming to know anything lol. But i do know how to use the ignore button :)
Good riddance.

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Cerberus
I appreciate that you are offering a different perspective. I would love to learn and see more of the knowledge and experience you can share

however...

This is a fairly friendly place. I would like you to attempt to soften your delivery. Can you work with me?