What oil is best? and what ratio?

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Still got a decent stash of old yamalube 2R I need to finish up. Then I’ll probably switch to dominator 🤷🏻‍♂️. Amsoil has never done me wrong. I used the old series 2000 in all my quads, bikes, sleds etc back in the day. I believe that’s what dominator replaced.

bertfixessome

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The largest problem with 2 stroke oil, is published viscosity. Sure you can send a sample of each oil to a lab and PAY to obtain this info. However every other oil API certifies has to have the donut rating and viscosity on the label.
The quoted viscosity would have to be correct or they would fall foul of even the USA's pathetic consumer protection laws
However it would be meaningless because the oil is in suspension with the fuel when you use it
Molecule size would be much more useful but even harder to understand because that changes according to how many fuel molecules the oil latches onto when dispersed into the fuel
Viscosity is a measure of the VISCIOUS friction of the bulk oil.
Adheasion & coheasion indexes again would give a better indication of the oils service qualities when in suspension / dilution .

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
8:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The quoted viscosity would have to be correct or they would fall foul of even the USA's pathetic consumer protection laws
However it would be meaningless because the oil is in suspension with the fuel when you use it
Molecule size would be much more useful but even harder to understand because that changes according to how many fuel molecules the oil latches onto when dispersed into the fuel
Viscosity is a measure of the VISCIOUS friction of the bulk oil.
Adheasion & coheasion indexes again would give a better indication of the oils service qualities when in suspension / dilution .
We know through trial and error, the higher viscosity oils tend to do better at protecting bottom end bearings. Amsoil Dominator is the exception to that general rule. Motul 2T 800 is a 18.9 @100C Dominator is a 7 @ 100C. These are the only 2 I could find, and someone paid to have the Motul analyzed. I think in the U.S. 2T is the grade and it gives you a ton of wiggle room. Cohesion is directly related to the oils viscosity, adhesion has as much to do with the surface finish being lubricated as it does the oil itself.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We know through trial and error, the higher viscosity oils tend to do better at protecting bottom end bearings. Amsoil Dominator is the exception to that general rule. Motul 2T 800 is a 18.9 @100C Dominator is a 7 @ 100C. These are the only 2 I could find, and someone paid to have the Motul analyzed. I think in the U.S. 2T is the grade and it gives you a ton of wiggle room. Cohesion is directly related to the oils viscosity, adhesion has as much to do with the surface finish being lubricated as it does the oil itself.
Been using Motul 800 2T for over a decade now , no complaints.

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m running it currently, and I am liking what I am seeing. It was the only oil that did poorly in lean testing, but has a super solid track record at normal ratios.
I’m running it currently, and I am liking what I am seeing. It was the only oil that did poorly in lean testing, but has a super solid track record at normal ratios.
Hot Saws 101 on YouTube a faller from Cali , been using it for 15 years , said he’s never blown up a saw using it,

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hot Saws 101 on YouTube a faller from Cali , been using it for 15 years , said he’s never blown up a saw using it,
He's the feller that broke out data sheets. Hp2, h1r, and 2t are at the top of the food chain chemically. Maximum adhesion, dispersion, etc. I think all 3 fair well in the carbon department too.

full chizel

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All i used to burn in my dirt bike and quad was Honda HP2. Currently i have Maxima Super M which is a synthetic blend that is half K2 he talked about.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I used to run a bunch of HP2 in my bike and quads before I switched to Series 2000. I was young no real reason for the switch besides Series 2000 I could get easier and in gallons. Neither did me wrong.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saber at 40:1 will foul plugs and leave drool behind if not tuned just right.
I must tune pretty good as i have used it at 32:1 in a real hot standup pwc and in my other hp two strokes at low ratios like 32:1 never had plug issues. It does leave a dusty soot around everything but never saw drool out of any equipment

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
7:59 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know from having experienced this.

Belray H1R at 32:1 works really well to protect a saw engine when milling or stumping. It is a thick oil...that's plain to see when pouring it.

BUT....

In a smallish autotune or mtronic unit, it hurts performance....not just a wee bit either. I was using H1R at 32:1 in everything...and Julian @Redbull661 told me that I was handicapping my saw by using it. Naturally, I thought he was nuts. So, I bought some Yamalube 2R (a much thinner oil) and tried it.

In a ported 562XP, just switching oil increased cut speed 35%.

I still use H1R in big saws that are being used for torturous activities. But my usual oil is Amsoil Dominator at 40:1

I remember that whole thing, that 661 you ported for me was running h1r at 32:1, Julians non ported 661 was running 2r at 40:1

Same wood, same b&c, same person ran both saws, the ported 661 only beat the non ported one by like 1/2 a second.

After the ported saw was flushed & ran on 2r, the times increased.

It was a fun day, back when I gave a chit, about how fast a saw was.