What oil is best? and what ratio?

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s great stuff. I’ve had zero issues at 32:1 on any saw.
32:1 even on 40-50cc saws? Think saber same ratio would be the same? Only asking cause I thought I remember some smaller mtronic/autotune saws having issues with too rich of a ratio. But I’m assuming it depends on the viscosity of the mix oil.

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
4:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
32:1 even on 40-50cc saws? Think saber same ratio would be the same? Only asking cause I thought I remember some smaller mtronic/autotune saws having issues with too rich of a ratio. But I’m assuming it depends on the viscosity of the mix oil.
Dominator’s base viscosity eliminates this as an issue. The single biggest thing I have learned about oil from others testing is higher viscosity is used to make up for deficiencies in add pack. That comes with a price usually in carbon deposits or spooge. Many think Dominator isn’t a good oil due to lack of excess oil in the crankcase. That’s by design, rolling element bearings can be over lubricated which hurts performance.

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes. I haven’t had any issues with Dominator. My initial problems were with Motul 800. I swapped oils to saber at that time and the problem went away. Now, I drill the jets most MT saws that I port, so I changed a bunch of variables. I prefer the safety of 32:1 in my saws.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, on a semi related note, what do you do to preserve the fuel system of a saw or other two stroke that is only used sporadically? I love my saws but don't get to run them as much as I would. So they can go for weeks at a time without being used. What I have always done is, when I mix up a new can of fuel, dump out the old fuel in the saws to burn in my four strokes. Then I fill each one up about half way and run it for a few minutes to circulate the new fuel. This is what works for me at least, of course I always use fuel stabilizer.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, on a semi related note, what do you do to preserve the fuel system of a saw or other two stroke that is only used sporadically? I love my saws but don't get to run them as much as I would. So they can go for weeks at a time without being used. What I have always done is, when I mix up a new can of fuel, dump out the old fuel in the saws to burn in my four strokes. Then I fill each one up about half way and run it for a few minutes to circulate the new fuel. This is what works for me at least, of course I always use fuel stabilizer.
Can you buy ethanol free fuel? I have had zero issues using E Free 90 even after extended lay up.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
2:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In a humid climate, completely full with e free so there is no air for condensation. I think @Benwa had saws in WA for 3 years that way and they were fine.

In a hot climate…I keep mine in the A/C….under 80°f, the temp at which gas vaporizes. E free. No more problems. 3120 probably only comes out a couple few times a year.

thompsoncustom

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sadly many folks see the "Made in USA" or "American made" label and falsely believe it. I challenge anyone to take a look at this century as @Lions fan referenced and find a piece of equipment, designed, manufactured, and built in America with parts that were designed, manufactured, and built in America.

The label is irrelevant.
Very true I can't remember exactly because they keep lowering it but last time I looked I believe to put Made in the USA only %45 of the components needed to be US made.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Very true I can't remember exactly because they keep lowering it but last time I looked I believe to put Made in the USA only %45 of the components needed to be US made.
I truly do not know what it takes to be classified as "Made in America" but I have yet to find anyone who has come up with something that truly is made here this century hell since 1945 in many cases (NOT ALL)

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am a huge proponent of ethanol and I think we need to use a helluva lot more of it including E85 but I do not use it in saws. I know there are areas of the country that cannot get ethanol free fuel. As much as I love ethanol I believe folks need to have other options and it should not be forced down folks throats. The same for biodiesel. I live in the heart of corn country and we can easily get ethanol free fuel here.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ethanol is actually a very good motor fuel, the engine components and fuel metering need to be set up properly for it. Isn't straight ethanol like 140 octane or something crazy like that? I think switching fuels to renewable sources will help keep internal combustion engines viable instead of us being force fed battery everything.

Bill G

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They run Indy cars on ethanol but if course it is a bit different blend 😃