Did it seize up? Or just carbon up?

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

My son was milling with his MS-660 a couple weeks back and I asked him what oil he was using

He said he was running Ultra at 50:1

I told him he was going to burn his saw up and that he needed to switch to Yamalube or Saber at 32:1 and to fatten it up a bit because when he left the saw at my house over the winter I did a muffler mod

He told the guys at the Stihl shop what I said and they told him if he listened to me he would ruin his saw...

They said it was doomed to die anyway because I did the muffler mod

He and I have gone round and round about bad info like this

Oh well, not my stuffs...

:smash2:

Last edited:

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
My son was milling with his MS-660 a couple weeks back and I asked him what oil he was using

I told him he was going to burn his saw up and that he needed to switch to Yamalube or Saber at 32:1 and to fatten it up a bit because when he left the saw at my house over the winter I did a muffler mod

He told the guys at the Stihl shop what I said and they told him if he listened to me he would ruin his saw...

Stihl tech's & dealers are brain washed @ school.
Shep

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl tech's & dealers are brain washed @ school.
Shep

This is the same Stihl shop that refused to sell me some chains 8-9 years ago because I didn’t have the saw with me

Said they were sick of taking loops back because people didn’t know what they needed

I guess that’s their prerogative

Mine is to shop elsewhere

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Well he burned that bad boy up all right!! I'm guessing he didn't listen too you!! [emoji50]Look how hot that thing was running!! Way on the lean side!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Over the years I have seen many wonder lubes appear, then quickly disappear. Blue Marble is one that comes to mind, but there are many others. The odds of a small blender having the resources to actually research and develop something new in the lubrication world is about zero. The small refiner I work for cant even do that so they sub out all their lubricant business. It's hard to compete with Chevron, Exxon-Mobil and Shell.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know ultra is supposed to be crap oil but the one tree service I fix saws for uses it and I’ve never seen this inside his saws. His plugs may have some carbon along with the top of piston but no plugs that look like they are trying to burn the electrode off.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know ultra is supposed to be crap oil but the one tree service I fix saws for uses it and I’ve never seen this inside his saws. His plugs may have some carbon along with the top of piston but no plugs that look like they are trying to burn the electrode off.
After the muffler mod are we sure this saw was fattened up to where it needs to be, sure doesn't look like it even with 50:1

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm wondering if something else is going on here. Hard to tell from the pics, but it looks like detonation maybe given the blasted appearance? Perhaps the fuel was contaminated? Plug looks really crusty and nasty.
Not sure about the fuel. He said it was always e free and ultra at 50 to 1. I didn't see any detonation going on. But every saw I dig into that looks like this was run on ultra . Theres always a pretty good layer on the combustion chamber and it's always flaking off the piston

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Anyone hear of this or try this?
@bwalker View attachment 178265

So out of curiosity I skimmed back through this thread and this oil was brought up before at the top of page 735...

Consensus was expensive snake oil

The "best oil" discussion devolved into a toilet paper thread at that point

iu