Reaction score
Country flag
1. Ring pin(s) missing
2. Carbon build up on piston underside
3. Broken top ring
4. Top ring looks like it got hot enough to discolor it
5. Hard to tell, but it looks like the ring lands have carbon buildup in them
6. Funky wash pattern, why ?

Looks like it got real hot and started detonating, breaking the ring and burping out the ring pin(s)

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1. Ring pin(s) missing
3. Broken top ring

Looks like it got real hot and started detonating, breaking the ring and popping the ring pin(s)
Ring is probly just over top of the pin. I bet the pin is there. Does look like some detonation on the edge of the crown though

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Usually, when replying to Ben.... lol
Where the hell did he go anyway.
He’s out lookin for a sunny spot to stand in so he can take more shady piston pictures as he uses his shadow to let us know how much better the pictures could be ..................

Just hazzarding a guess

@bwalker ........ ??

friendlywithbears

a tree falling in the woods
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I’m not loyal to any oil. I’ve tried several. Here’s my latest purchase:

View attachment 176027

I've got a friend who carries schaeffer in his auto shop and swears by it. How are you liking it and what ratio do you run it at? I didn't know they made 2 stroke and might pick some up to try.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
1. Ring pin(s) missing
3. Broken top ring

Looks like it got real hot and started detonating, breaking the ring and burping out the ring pin(s)
Ring not heat discolored and pins are still present. It did get real hot, and was detonating as you can see the sand blasted appearance just above my thumbnail on the pic of the crown. It also started to seize in the area between and above the rings. The underside has alot of cooking going on which is further proof of how hot it got.
All in all it's amazing the piston didnt seize and it very well might have if not for the castor in the oil. Instead the other cylinder, which typicaly is more stressed detonated to the the point the crank and rod bearing failed on that side.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
He’s out lookin for a sunny spot to stand in so he can take more shady piston pictures as he uses his shadow to let us know how much better the pictures could be ..................

Just hazzarding a guess

@bwalker ........ ??
I took the pictures in natural light so some detail could be shown with my crappy cell phone camera. Given such I thought the came out pretty good.

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Btw the black coloration on the piston skirt is the remenants of a piston skirt coating that came on these Vito's Wiseco pistons.

Last edited:

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The bike is back together now and will be my going around town vehicle. In Montana we can street plate anything!
Going forward I am going to have some new head domes made with optimal squish clearance and less compression. Also plan to continue to run Super Techniplate in it at 20:1 because I plan to use it exclusively on the street and dont plan on babying the thing.Resized_20190412_141431_4007.jpeg

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20190412_141923-jpg.176515

That area above and primarily below the top ring, is that from hammering due to ring flutter - perhaps from the detonation?

bwalker

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20190412_141923-jpg.176515

That area above and primarily below the top ring, is that from hammering due to ring flutter - perhaps from the detonation?
Terry, when I have seen ring flutter the engine RPMs are typicaly higher than what this runs at and also the piston showed evidence of blow by.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was just looking at the picture and can't really make out what it looks like. In my hand would be no problem, but what it appears from the picture to be is a ring land that has been hammered out so that the aluminum of the piston has deformed, thus the wear marks immediately below the top ring. Could just be the picture.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a friend who carries schaeffer in his auto shop and swears by it. How are you liking it and what ratio do you run it at? I didn't know they made 2 stroke and might pick some up to try.

I’m still using the oil i have. I won’t get to the Schaffer’s for a little while. Oil is oil to me. I’m not a good reviewer. Some stinks less than others. I like oil with dye so I can see the gas has oil.

Clemsonfor

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The bike is back together now and will be my going around town vehicle. In Montana we can street plate anything!
Going forward I am going to have some new head domes made with optimal squish clearance and less compression. Also plan to continue to run Super Techniplate in it at 20:1 because I plan to use it exclusively on the street and dont plan on babying the thing.View attachment 176565
Say goodbye to those tires! They won't last very long with that plan!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk