The tuning video thread

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you saying that a failing coil will affect idle? What are the symptoms?
I think I may have one on my hands!
Best way I can describe it is the saw will seem to have two idle spots (it won’t tune consistent on the idle) and it’s either the carb or the coil. Sometimes the saw won’t start when hot either. I’ve dealt with a few wonky coils on Husqvarnas. Mostly 372, 394 and 390’s. Seems like husky coils die slowly and stihl coils either work or they die completely.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Part of the problem imo is the limited coils on the 372 and 390 have a advance curve that starts at 3200 rpm or so and the idle jumps around if you have the idle set high. Seems some coils are worse than others and a bad carb makes it even worse. Especially a bad rwj carb. The HD and WJ are better mannered. I prefer to swap in the black unlimited coil that has a more fixed curve. They seem to idle better.

Last edited:

Sprinter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Best way I can describe it is the saw will seem to have two idle spots (it won’t tune consistent on the idle) and it’s either the carb or the coil. Sometimes the saw won’t start when hot either. I’ve dealt with a few wonky coils on Husqvarnas. Mostly 372 and 390’s. Seems like husky coils die slowly and stihl coils either work or they die completely.
My problem is a 30 year old 272xp that came with a no idle complaint. First thing I found was a dead coil so, I haven't been able to confirm the idle problem.. A the moment, I am waiting for a replacement. Pulled the muffler and it's all bright & shiny inside.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast, 288 collector
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Best way I can describe it is the saw will seem to have two idle spots (it won’t tune consistent on the idle) and it’s either the carb or the coil. Sometimes the saw won’t start when hot either. I’ve dealt with a few wonky coils on Husqvarnas. Mostly 372 and 390’s. Seems like husky coils die slowly and stihl coils either work or they die completely.
Part of the problem imo is the limited coils on the 372 and 390 have a advance curve that starts at 3200 rpm or so and the idle jumps around if you have the idle set high. Seems some coils are worse than others and a bad carb makes it even worse. Especially a bad rwj carb. The HD and WJ are better mannered. I prefer to swap in the black unlimited coil that has a more fixed curve. They seem to idle better.

kinda sounds like my 2166, “two idles”

Sprinter

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
My problem is a 30 year old 272xp that came with a no idle complaint. First thing I found was a dead coil so, I haven't been able to confirm the idle problem.. A the moment, I am waiting for a replacement. Pulled the muffler and it's all bright & shiny inside.
So I got the new coil and got it fired up. He was right, it wouldn't idle.
Did the carb cleaner trick and found it sucking air at the intake block/cylinder junction.
Cut a new gasket and it now idles but it has a few other issues to correct now.
It's been a hard 30 years, broken fins, worn-out starter & who knows what else.
It's gonna' be a project. Hope I can find parts.
Fred

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the main reason is how restricted the muffler is, and to a lesser degree port timing. Stock mufflers can be so stuffed up that there is little difference between 2 & 4 stroke sounds. Hearing protection may help filter out high frequency noise, so you can better hear the 4 stroking.
I completely agree with this. I have a very "keen" ear, but if I take my muffs off or ear plugs out, I can't hardly discern a 4-stroke sound. It's amazing the difference it makes.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
5:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Trains didn’t you post the stihl L tuning procedure once? Or @Stump Shot ?

The Stihl method attempts to force the tuner into getting the relationship correct between the Lo circuit and the Idle speed(throttle butterfly).
You will hear about and see quite a few saws that are leaned out too much and the throttle plate closed off to compensate for the idle speed to be low enough. Which can lead to erratic run issues from going wot to idle as the throttle slams shut and closes off the air much too abruptly.
This of course would seem to be aimed at the more amateur tuner and not the well seasoned one, which would by my guess about the whole affair.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I tend to go fatter and fatter chasing throttle response and end up opening the throttle screw more to compensate. I wanted to try the stihl method to see if it was more concrete on the L setting.

davidwyby

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Trains it was just the instructions for the L maybe on tree house. Something about 2800/3200 rpm back and forth with the L mix and idle speed screw.

Trains

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yeah, thats covered on that video I posted too, saw rpm's vary by saw type and size, but you can get close with the above vid.

I think I remember putting something up at the tree house, but cant remember which post.

what the process does is to correctly set the butterfly at idle, and give you a good base to tune from, if your not already on the money doing it that way.
I have come across many saws where the butterfly was closed too much, and running lean, or open too much, and the L was way rich to make it work, and thus, other issues of saw not running right goes with each.

Ah the joys of people messing around with things they know nothing about, if there lucky, they dont toast their saw.

pbillyi69

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i ususqlly run the idle screw in to keep it running and adjust the l screw until it just at the right spot back the idle screw out til the right idle number. then do the h screw by ear and check with the tach