The "I work with dumb people" thread

50blues

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We used the hot air trick also. With paint or primer in the paint gun, pull the trigger so just air comes out. Run your hand in front of the gun, tell the new guy the air compressor must be bad because the air is hot. When he puts his hand in front to check, paint his hand. I got one guy twice, he wasn't very smart.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a friend that works at the Michelin plant. Said the college kids they are hiring in maintenance are useless. Told me a story about a "coworker " that was using a ratchet like a wrench. Remove the ratchet and socket from the bolt every 1/4 turn, reposition the ratchet and tighten another 1/4 turn. He had to show him how the ratchet worked...........

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At my shop we convince the new guy that the water fountain needs to be filled. Told one guy after several trips to the sink with a gallon jug pouring it into the water fountain drain to just grab the hose to save time rynning back an forth. 45 minutes later i asked him why he had been putting all that water down the drain!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the ninety's I was a skiff man on a salmon seiner off of Kodiak Island. We got a new deck hand from Portland Oregon who was a faithful follower of Curt Cobain and was questionable from first sight standing there in his grunge outfit. He tried at first until we were at port offloading salmon by hand into a brailer in the fish hold and this fella is plumb stuck in slow motion. Having a bit of rank I barked to "start flipping those fish in the brailer bag" and he replied he could not. To which just short of loosing my damn mind I hollered "why the hell not", his reply was that the fish were all staring at him. At this point I did lose my mind and screamed, "start throwing those damn fish, this is the least of your problems right at this point in time". To which he did unenthusiastically. I knew at this point this fella had just checked out and was never going to be a good hand and was when I decided to name him "Shorty", which was the only name I called him by for near four months. While up on the docks one day with a bunch of other fishermen he finally got the nerve to ask me as to why I called him shorty as he was taller than I. To which I replied "I never said what you were short of, you're short of brains". Well the other fishermen laughed pretty good and Shorty, he finally knew where he really stood.

While it may seem rough on a fella, there's not a lot of time to get a guy dependable to do what is needed to be done, when it needs to be done as our lives depended on each others actions. While I usually played the "good guy" and would explain and teach what the skipper needed and let the skipper be the "bad guy", this wasn't one of those times as this fella already checked out and wanted to be somewhere else. It's better if he does so, for him and the rest of the crew.

raumati01

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Back in the ninety's I was a skiff man on a salmon seiner off of Kodiak Island. We got a new deck hand from Portland Oregon who was a faithful follower of Curt Cobain and was questionable from first sight standing there in his grunge outfit. He tried at first until we were at port offloading salmon by hand into a brailer in the fish hold and this fella is plumb stuck in slow motion. Having a bit of rank I barked to "start flipping those fish in the brailer bag" and he replied he could not. To which just short of loosing my damn mind I hollered "why the hell not", his reply was that the fish were all staring at him. At this point I did lose my mind and screamed, "start throwing those damn fish, this is the least of your problems right at this point in time". To which he did unenthusiastically. I knew at this point this fella had just checked out and was never going to be a good hand and was when I decided to name him "Shorty", which was the only name I called him by for near four months. While up on the docks one day with a bunch of other fishermen he finally got the nerve to ask me as to why I called him shorty as he was taller than I. To which I replied "I never said what you were short of, you're short of brains". Well the other fishermen laughed pretty good and Shorty, he finally knew where he really stood.

While it may seem rough on a fella, there's not a lot of time to get a guy dependable to do what is needed to be done, when it needs to be done as our lives depended on each others actions. While I usually played the "good guy" and would explain and teach what the skipper needed and let the skipper be the "bad guy", this wasn't one of those times as this fella already checked out and wanted to be somewhere else. It's better if he does so, for him and the rest of the crew.

We had a guy like that we called coke bottle-empty from the neck up.

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know the feeling Steve!
We get these kids in to change oil. They think they want to work on cars.
Doing rotations, I see them trying to be hercules and heave some big heavy wheels and tires.
So, I show them how you can roll them up your leg, help lift with your knee and take alot of strain off your back.
Of course they are all, cool, thats great.
I turn around and 2 minutes later they are just Herc'ing out on them again.
Whatever. Its not my back.
But, I'm done showing you the easy way!

Fruecrue

certified hand catcher
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I once worked with a man named Dennis. Dennis avoided work at all costs, and was damn good at it.
It was quickly obvious to all, Dennis doesn’t work.
From that point on, we tagged all out of service equipment with a very simple tag. “Dennis”.
At one point he found a pile of tools labeled Dennis, and asked me if they were his.

Got real weird after that.

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I work with a hateful old bastard.......he's not too smart either.

26f2f248d22120cc4b86b9364e24b938.gif

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I once worked with a man named Dennis. Dennis avoided work at all costs, and was damn good at it.
It was quickly obvious to all, Dennis doesn’t work.
From that point on, we tagged all out of service equipment with a very simple tag. “Dennis”.
At one point he found a pile of tools labeled Dennis, and asked me if they were his.

Got real weird after that.

I pounded a stake in the ground next to a guy like that to see how much he moved. Lol He didn't get it.

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I hate is someone that will send you 5 or 6 emails with questions instead of walking across the building and having a real conversation, or heaven forbid pick up the phone and call, it's a 3 digit internal number...

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What I hate is someone that will send you 5 or 6 emails with questions instead of walking across the building and having a real conversation, or heaven forbid pick up the phone and call, it's a 3 digit internal number...

Lol, my wife used to be upstairs, I'd be down stairs, she would send me an email from her phone, to my phone, see if I wanted to watch a movie, or have a drink. Sometimes she would text me, but most times she emailed...

Most times, I'd just yell out okay sounds good...