hacskaroly

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here. I think I have everything but...:p
Looking for a cheap 5' bar to go with it.
I have to mill out a notch out on my fuel tank to get the felling dog/AV mount to fit and then mod a Stihl 090 muffler to fit...2100 mufflers cost too much...even for the rusty ones... :D I have a 28" bar for now, will be looking for something with .404.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never thought of using an 038 mag to mill with which is my least favorite use of a chainsaw .Some years ago fooling with a Granberg bolt on guide ripping 18" red oak. I did try an 048 Stihl .It was as slow as a elderly snail with arthritus .Then I tried a McCulloch 125 C .World of difference .I could get about a foot a minute in that oak but it certainly was a chore to put it lightly .
Ripping and stumping are the two most hard services you can subject a chainsaw to .It takes a large saw and not using 50 to one fuel mix unless you want to cook the engine .

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update: I was at a friends today and he said he found a bar in the woods, presumably from the last time his place was logged. It won't fit his Stihl. As it turns out it's a 28" Oregon Powermatch for my Dolkita...I think I will run with that for now... the sprocket nose is tight (will see if I can free it up) but the bar itself is in really good condition...I guess these things have a way of working themselves out...

I have a nice West German 038 Mag 2 I picked up several years ago at an auction for a song because they couldn't get it to start (choke linkage was messed up). I really didn't need it, but at $160 I couldn't resist...it's sat unused since then and it's time to get it to work.

I already have a Dolkita 7900 and want to keep that as my saw to grab when I need smile on my face. I'm thinking I'll make the Mag 2 a dedicated milling rig.

I'm going to put a 36" bar on it. I know that's pushing the length a bit for that saw, should I use skip or semi-skip if I'm milling with it? I'm thinking I'll lighten the load on it a bit, even if it takes a touch longer to complete a cut.

Thoughts?
Semi skip or skip on my longer bars make progress down the log quicker. Theory is there's less binding from overload of chips