Tales from the bench

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here’s what a 12mm looks like on a 10mm. Don’t think that would be good for the needle bearing. Just my .02
I have heard of '10mm' saws for some time, and realize that I didn't really understand what that meant - it sure isn't the diameter of the piston!

Judging from your photo, it is just the spacing at the top of the connecting rod? Are the pistons and cylinders pretty much the same otherwise?

Seeing as I have already exposed and acknowledged my ignorance; could the piston / connecting rod in the photo above be shimmed to fit with spacers?

Thanks.

Philbert

redlight066

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have heard of '10mm' saws for some time, and realize that I didn't really understand what that meant - it sure isn't the diameter of the piston!

Judging from your photo, it is just the spacing at the top of the connecting rod? Are the pistons and cylinders pretty much the same otherwise?

Seeing as I have already exposed and acknowledged my ignorance; could the piston / connecting rod in the photo above be shimmed to fit with spacers?

Thanks.

Philbert
Spacing and the diameter of the wrist pin/small end if the rod. Weather it’s lore or not, the pre EPA jugs seem to more of a factory hot rod than their Post EPA versions. IMHO

Anything is possible. I tend to shy away from being “crafty” with other people’s equipment tho

Thanks, Rich

JonCraig

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My pre-EPA D-Jug 046 and my 10mm 044 are my favorite saws. Father in law & I ran 046 against ms460 and the 046 was obviously the stronger of the two. We didn’t have tachs or anything, so it wasn’t scientific, but it was obvious to both of us.

A while back the 044 outran my 064, but I think something’s up with the 064, to be fair.