Stihl MS881! The rumors begin

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
1:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at many of the high selling pro saws the better sellers are saws you want/enjoy running. Sure the market is tiny for 120cc class saws but I bet if the new saw was a joy to use Stihl would sell a bunch more. As it stands many settle for less power and buy a saw they'll enjoy using like a 390/395 660/661. If the 881 ran as well as a 661 I'm sure many more would choose this class. At present the only 880 owners are those who absolutely NEED a big saw for big bars, wood & milling. The 880 is a well built quality turd put simply, the 084 was better. Look at a saw like the 462, its stealing sales from 60cc class and 80cc class saws. The 880 has never stole a sale from any class, its a saw purchased out of necessity. I hope they put a filter on new model similar to 395 filter, up the RPM, up the carb size, nice big clutch & drum, limit the ignition at 14.5k or don't, plenty of oil, increase fuel efficiency, loose some weight/bulk. Single piece shroud and a D-handle starter. This saw doesn't have to be an EPA apeasing boat anchor, with some good thought/engineering it could be a saw folks 'want to buy'. And bring back the Hi-toof .404 to go with it.

And a Very good reply....i for one thought the 084 was a good spec saw,,, but as I got into saws a bit later than the 084 hay days.... it was a bit of an old saw with parts NLA.. Aslo not a well sold saw at th3 time so few parts would be around from donor saws later..
Inter changeable saw parts iswhat I look at. And stihl have done this in the manufacturing process in the past. But as the future comes and costs times as well as the epa dictates who knows what’s around the corner

However the turn of China parts, albeit good and not so good to very bad have inabled saws to be kept from the dumpster for a bi5 longer is better. So just maybe the China 888 or whatever it’s called will do the same.
as for the 881 we shall see how it is when it arrives. and I’m sure a few mods and swaps will come with the working knowledge of stihls new beast

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws that big are definitely a rarity these days...
Seems everything is going smaller...
Because everyone is turning into a bunch of wimps I know I'll get scalded for saying that but that's how I see it look at the big old Saw's that the old timers were running and them old boys weren't that big but tuff as nails now days nope if it ways more then ten pounds the pimple poppers start winning. I'm 6" tall 160 pounds wet and I will still go for the bigger saw over the Nancy Droue ms290. Sorry. Lol

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Because everyone is turning into a bunch of wimps I know I'll get scalded for saying that but that's how I see it look at the big old Saw's that the old timers were running and them old boys weren't that big but tuff as nails now days nope if it ways more then ten pounds the pimple poppers start winning. I'm 6" tall 160 pounds wet and I will still go for the bigger saw over the Nancy Droue ms290. Sorry. Lol

that sounds soooooooo correct input...well new generation are measuring grams when older gens would not care for a few kilos here and there.
I m expecting to see the 881, it might not be what we think specifications wise but even the fact that big class is still alive it's good for me

sawmikaze

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'd feel like a total pussy if I whined the way some of these girls do about what a chainsaw weighs.

It's a tool...use it.

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Age is catching some of us. Two years ago I could lift a 125 with 50" bar and chain up over the side of my 4 × 4 Dodge's side and put it in the bed one handed. Last year I notice it took two hands, though not by much. This year was about the same. Those 20 - 30 lbs. power heads felt nice and solid. Now they're feeling a bit heavy. That said, I'd much rather use a 70cc saw with 28" bar than my 346 with 18" bar even on small stuff. 50cc saws require so much more bending I find my back really hurting after much of their use. I don't find my 372's heavy at all.

big_billings

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I wouldn't call an 088/880 A big saw not when sitting next to a 090 that is lol

I can't wait until the day guy's start weighing air filters don't worry it will happen lol
View attachment 205269
Now a 900i would be a quite a saw to hold on too.... I’ll only ever see it in my dreams

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don't see a need for saw's over 95cc anymore all the big timber is gone that needed a power head that could pull a really long bar sure there is the odd big one and that's when the dinosaurs come out to get the job done or they just stick a 50in bar on some smaller cc modern saw and get the job done.
Chainsaw milling is probably the only reason sales haven't dropped to zero as yet with the big cc saw.

Now I will try and explain why here in Australia it's common ish in some parts to see saw's over 90cc with 20/25inch bars.
It's the hardness of some of our hardwoods it takes power to pull the chain through the timber.
Look at it this way take a 661 with a 25in bar running 404 when buried in say Grey Gum/Box/Iron Bark all very hard wood that will put the same load or more as a 661 over there pulling a 50in bar with 404 buried in your softer hardwoods.
If one was to try and do that here a 50in cut with a 50in bar on a 661 in our hardwood it wouldn't even have the power to pull the chain one revolution smoke the clutch is about all!
Going down to 3/8 chain here will lessen the load on the saw but who wants to be constantly sharping all day speed is of no concern I can live will the 1 second slower cutting 404 that's why I like 404 it's a tuff chain and holds an eage way longer than 3/8 in the timber here IMHO.
Yes in some parts of AU in softer timber guy's run longer bars on smaller and big saw's.
I hope that clears up some confusion I dought it! Lol

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't call an 088/880 A big saw not when sitting next to a 090 that is lol

I can't wait until the day guy's start weighing air filters don't worry it will happen lol
View attachment 205269
That stock 090 will outwork that 880, even when ported, by a mile, with 60" or longer bars.

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I personally don't see a need for saw's over 95cc anymore all the big timber is gone that needed a power head that could pull a really long bar sure there is the odd big one and that's when the dinosaurs come out to get the job done or they just stick a 50in bar on some smaller cc modern saw and get the job done.
Chainsaw milling is probably the only reason sales haven't dropped to zero as yet with the big cc saw.

Now I will try and explain why here in Australia it's common to see saw's over 90cc with 20/25inch bars.
It's the hardness of some of our hardwoods it takes power to pull the chain through the timber.
Look at it this way take a 661 with a 25in bar running 404 when buried in say Grey Gum/Box/Iron Bark all very hard wood that will put the same load or more as a 661 over there pulling a 50in bar with 404 buried in your softer hardwoods.
If one was to try and do that here a 50in cut with a 50in bar on a 661 in our hardwood it wouldn't even have the power to pull the chain one revolution smoke the clutch is about all!
Milling and very large hardwood trees are about the most reasonable reason for a big saw. A ported 395 will most long bar big saw work today. Milling slabs above 60", though, I'd want more cubes. Like dual 090's. A friend had a 108" bar made for a huge oak. He ran dual 090g's.

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score

Now I will try and explain why here in Australia it's common to see saw's over 90cc with 20/25inch bars.

While I have cut Mesquite down in Texas, in Kansas, I cut trailer loads of Osage Orange/Hedge routinely. Hedge is 2760 on the Janka scale, or about 500-2500 less than what you're cutting. BUT, I tend to run larger powerheads on smaller bars due to having more torque and better clutches... When green, it actually cuts pretty nicely, but you won't see large chips, like when cutting Oaks, White Ash or Hackleberry...

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would think oil output would be as big of an issue as power.

andyshine77

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
While I have cut Mesquite down in Texas, in Kansas, I cut trailer loads of Osage Orange/Hedge routinely. Hedge is 2760 on the Janka scale, or about 500-2500 less than what you're cutting. BUT, I tend to run larger powerheads on smaller bars due to having more torque and better clutches... When green, it actually cuts pretty nicely, but you won't see large chips, like when cutting Oaks, White Ash or Hackleberry...
That and locust will turn to stone when bone dry.

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah it's hard for some guy's to get there head around the harder the timber the more load it puts on a saw that's when more cc and heavy clutches rule saw's designed to run long bars have this.

Last edited:

Locust Cutter

Air Force Redneck
Local time
7:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I would think oil output would be as big of an issue as power.
It is. My oilers are cranked on all of my saws. The 9010 did real well, until it developed an air leak and will be sent off shortly to find/fix the issue(s). It oils the bar like the Exxon Valdez lubricated the Prince William Sound... The MS660 isn't bad. The 562xp is a bit stingy. The 346xp, 550xp, and 262xp are ok, the MS261 an MS201T do just fine. The 372xp does pretty well. The Old Mac 35 is an manual oiler, so that's a moot point and the 015 is an environmental disaster!!

That and locust will turn to stone when bone dry.
Locust and Hedge both will. If I actually have to cut old Hedge posts, I prefer to use Carbide chain, as it will demolish conservatively angled semi-chisel quickly...