Stihl MS881! The rumors begin

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yep that's about what you get for setup and shear cutting power! with an 088/880 reading the interwebs there lack of performance is understandable now lol
My guess is you were in the first video, the bloke offering advice in the 2nd vid, would be better suited running a ms180 with quickstop, easychain tensioner and easystrart. He was a tard for sure, the way he started his saws, held his saws and positioned his body running the saws was amateur at best, yet he offers how-to advice to the masses. A GO-pro & internet connection enables these fools to show their stupidity in full. I thought it was a comedy sketch at first, especially when he said it cost him $1600 to repair a damaged crank. The local Stihl shop would love that guy & make him coffee on arrival. What a tool. I like the wood setup you got the rogue, looks like fun....and hard work.

ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not stock but only basic Dremel work done. Still has base gasket and timing has not been advanced.. The bar is a Oregon hard nose 25inch, chain is Stihl .404 RS no mods just rackers done and hit with a round file, 7pin.. Oh yeah and mix is 25:1 dinosaur oil..
Why are useing hardnose Bars?
Better in dry hardwood?

rogue60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why are useing hardnose Bars?
Better in dry hardwood?

The old timers educated me on how to maintain and use hard nose bars. It's about durability they are a hard working tough as nails bar which works well in our hardwood and dirty conditions matched with .404 chain.
For me running a hard nose bar or a sprocket tip bar there is nothing in it if you blindfolded me I wouldn't know the difference as to what bar was on the saw this is in working saw conditions.
100% for racing cut times and easier basic operator use the sprocket nose bar is a better choice.
You can tell by the smoke and stretched hot chain along with red hot bar tip in one cut (they usually never do get a second cut in) with someone that has no clue how to use a hard nose bar lol..

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been tempered to buy more hard nose bars. There are often wicked deals on them from sellers trying to move them. I've seen new NOS 30" Carlton ones for $60. Not the newer Canadian made but the old silver German made ones. Seen NOS made in AU GB hard nose in 20"/24 for $35-!

justoldsaws

From the land downunder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around 70 years ago Solo built a saw in this class called a Rex. It too was 10hp. I think today shooting for 10hp is a little weak. As much as I'm excited about this unloved class of saw that don't get much R&D $$ these days I think it could have a few more horses, like 12hp similar to the Solo Super Rex. At least Stihl hasn't forgotten completely about the 8 cube class and for that I suppose we should be somewhat grateful.

A few old school ads, im sure i have more stating HP, i think there was a Solo 635 or 642 that was 10hp.
20190708_224743.jpg Screenshot_20190708-224713_Gallery.jpg

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
7:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My guess is you were in the first video, the bloke offering advice in the 2nd vid, would be better suited running a ms180 with quickstop, easychain tensioner and easystrart. He was a tard for sure, the way he started his saws, held his saws and positioned his body running the saws was amateur at best, yet he offers how-to advice to the masses. A GO-pro & internet connection enables these fools to show their stupidity in full. I thought it was a comedy sketch at first, especially when he said it cost him $1600 to repair a damaged crank. The local Stihl shop would love that guy & make him coffee on arrival. What a tool. I like the wood setup you got the rogue, looks like fun....and hard work.
this bloke has subscribed to Justin Bieber's YouTube Channel if thats any indication :)