Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Hi there

Well it’s already cutting wood out there, wish I knew the place lol

The big class of 120cc saws was the last to adjust with the new 2019 regulations already in effect

So 881 is a strato saw, expecting maybe an increased weight, powerwise its not clear yet if it’s increased. Or i must say how much increased.

It’s expected February 2020 here and my country is not from the first to receive saws. So we might see some surprise in release dates

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
4:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What a European country with trees bigger than toothpicks find that hard to believe and if they did have a big tree they wouldn't be allowed to cut it down

Last edited:

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeaaar that’s right :)

Well maybe selected Central or Eastern Europe countries?
I really have no clue as I don’t care about the first but recently Ms500i was available in such countries for months before the rest of Europe at least.

Anyway

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s what I thought. The way he worded the statement I thought maybe another country.

big_billings

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I was really hoping to see them come out with an 800i or even an 900i. Absolutely blow the competition out of the water... I guess we will have to wait and see what the future will bring... maybe a 12+ hp saw that’s lighter than the 880

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was really hoping to see them come out with an 800i or even an 900i. Absolutely blow the competition out of the water... I guess we will have to wait and see what the future will bring... maybe a 12+ hp saw that’s lighter than the 880
We all 'wish' for 'blow out of the water' type new models from our saw co's. Rarely does this ever happen, often they are no better than the previous model but with a whole lot more complex chit that can go wrong. If the new 881 revs past 14k....it'll sell. Since the 084, The 120cc class saws have lacked personality, been boring to run & been sadly disappointing in stock form. Hope for something great but don't expect it.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We all 'wish' for 'blow out of the water' type new models from our saw co's. Rarely does this ever happen, often they are no better than the previous model but with a whole lot more complex chit that can go wrong. If the new 881 revs past 14k....it'll sell. Since the 084, The 120cc class saws have lacked personality, been boring to run & been sadly disappointing in stock form. Hope for something great but don't expect it.

But there’s a reason for that...or better called one of those reasons Not Really great demand on the Big Boss Class.
They just keep them more for prestige or the lack of it.

If users asked for this class then factories would behave differently

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Saws that big are definitely a rarity these days...
Seems everything is going smaller...

A factory goes by numbers. And it should so
If we were owners we would so

Saw users as all goods users want everything better. And they should so

But reality is: chainsaw manufacturers see the 50cc and 70cc selling high from the release day even back ordered. See what happened with 462 and 500i. Sales of 880 are minimal if any.
Anyone want big saws should buy from the first day, if sales upscale then might change the Factory’ View. Until then we must be happy for still having them around

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes sir. I agree wholeheartedly. [emoji481]

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If its anything like where I live. They are usually priced out to far. I've seen a few 880's around here. Price tag say "move along son. Only a business can afford me here".

I walk away sad...lol
Don't be too sad,there are plenty of other better saws than a new 880. The Echo 1200 from Robin is supposed to be much better. I can tell you from.personal experience with large 60" logs that a ported 395 is a much nicer saw to use than any stock 880 and even a ported one. I expect the 881 to be even worse. Saws just aren't designed for large wood anymore. The 462 was designed for shorter bars for sure.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at many of the high selling pro saws the better sellers are saws you want/enjoy running. Sure the market is tiny for 120cc class saws but I bet if the new saw was a joy to use Stihl would sell a bunch more. As it stands many settle for less power and buy a saw they'll enjoy using like a 390/395 660/661. If the 881 ran as well as a 661 I'm sure many more would choose this class. At present the only 880 owners are those who absolutely NEED a big saw for big bars, wood & milling. The 880 is a well built quality turd put simply, the 084 was better. Look at a saw like the 462, its stealing sales from 60cc class and 80cc class saws. The 880 has never stole a sale from any class, its a saw purchased out of necessity. I hope they put a filter on new model similar to 395 filter, up the RPM, up the carb size, nice big clutch & drum, limit the ignition at 14.5k or don't, plenty of oil, increase fuel efficiency, loose some weight/bulk. Single piece shroud and a D-handle starter. This saw doesn't have to be an EPA apeasing boat anchor, with some good thought/engineering it could be a saw folks 'want to buy'. And bring back the Hi-toof .404 to go with it.

Evansaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you look at many of the high selling pro saws the better sellers are saws you want/enjoy running. Sure the market is tiny for 120cc class saws but I bet if the new saw was a joy to use Stihl would sell a bunch more. As it stands many settle for less power and buy a saw they'll enjoy using like a 390/395 660/661. If the 881 ran as well as a 661 I'm sure many more would choose this class. At present the only 880 owners are those who absolutely NEED a big saw for big bars, wood & milling. The 880 is a well built quality turd put simply, the 084 was better. Look at a saw like the 462, its stealing sales from 60cc class and 80cc class saws. The 880 has never stole a sale from any class, its a saw purchased out of necessity. I hope they put a filter on new model similar to 395 filter, up the RPM, up the carb size, nice big clutch & drum, limit the ignition at 14.5k or don't, plenty of oil, increase fuel efficiency, loose some weight/bulk. Single piece shroud and a D-handle starter. This saw doesn't have to be an EPA apeasing boat anchor, with some good thought/engineering it could be a saw folks 'want to buy'. And bring back the Hi-toof .404 to go with it.

14.5k rpms you d struggle to make em even from a ported 088/880 with 361coil
Running rich you d better drop lower than 14k for sure if any real wood work occurred. Anyway as mentioned before the specs already are leading the other way. If saw is good or not we gonna find in few months.