So what's your "real" job?

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love running Bobcats! Rented them a few times back in the mid 80s when I built this house. IMO, nothing better for moving gravel, etc. fast.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Between the footing drains around the foundation and the curtain drain around the property border, I moved a lot of gravel.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wildlife Manager on a Wildlife Management Area. Pretty much I do it all from sweeping the floor to arresting people, sometimes in the same day. I am in charge of 24,444 acres with 1,100 acres of wildlife openings that we manage for wildlife. I am also on the regional Rx fire team and help with prescribed burns across East TN. My crew and I farm, run heavy equipment, build, fabricate, mechanic, clean up, take data, and sometimes just ride around the area, lol.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was self employed since 2005 owning my own construction company in the summer and logging in the winter.
I got sick and tired of the stress and BS associated with owning your own business.
In November I got a job with the MN DNR
and now I am a project manager for maintenance/construction projects for DNR/state owned buildings.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
5:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d forgotten about this little thread ,Just read through all pages it’s amazing
The variation of ages and jobs of everyone on here
Most of our own situations haven’t changed in the 3 yrs since we last posted
I know one thing Iam loving food more and I still am likin chasin the two legged deer and runnin big loud saws

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was self employed since 2005 owning my own construction company in the summer and logging in the winter.
I got sick and tired of the stress and BS associated with owning your own business.
and now I am a project manager for maintenance/construction projects for DNR/state owned buildings.

John I have heard that is a nice job. A friend of mine keeps trying to get me to apply down here for that position but I want another 10 years or so in the union before I get out.

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John I have heard that is a nice job. A friend of mine keeps trying to get me to apply down here for that position but I want another 10 years or so in the union before I get out.
Not the same union I'm sure but this position is a union position.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before I retired from being a NYS Audit Manager/Certified Fraud Examiner to being a self employed Tax Preparer, I was in a Union (like it or not). It really frothed me that when I caught State Employees breaking the law (sometimes stealing from patients), my Union defended them and often kept them in their jobs!!!

Talk about irony!

It went so much better when I got to audit someone who has insulted a politician!

WKEND LUMBERJAK

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Before I retired from being a NYS Audit Manager/Certified Fraud Examiner to being a self employed Tax Preparer, I was in a Union (like it or not). It really frothed me that when I caught State Employees breaking the law (sometimes stealing from patients), my Union defended them and often kept them in their jobs!!!

Talk about irony!

It went so much better when I got to audit someone who has insulted a politician!

That's my only issue with unions I belong to one dead beats get paid the same as the good ones.

Leerod83

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worked maintenance in the same, cold cut-up, for a handful of years...many years ago, for a new Cargill plant, eventually years later sold to Tyson Foods. In charge of all the equipment from the chiller tank back through cut-up, before either heading to the blast freezers for bin storage, or forklifted straight onto receiving trucks at the rear docks. All Dapec cutup machines, thigh de-boners, bagging machines, etc, etc. Used to cut for the normal clientele...KFC, Church's, Popeye's, Bojangles, etc and all the folks selling pre-cut chicken pieces, etc under various names in the grocery stores.
I work on some of the same equipment. I'm sure it's changed over the years but a couple of dapec cut up machines, pacmac baggers and CAT injectors. Cooling and applied technologies. No diesels lol. Several different metal detectors. And jeez the strappers. They can make or break your day sometimes. I work for their arch enemy.... Simmons prepared foods. We do mostly commercial but Popeyes, KFC, Chick filet,jolly bee's. Several more and quite a bit overseas.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You all have your own department, lol? I’ve been working on our shop/office renovation since August. I just keep uncovering issues. We do have an engineering department to handle access areas, new buildings, major renovations, etc. You all are a DNR, so that makes for A LOT more building and structures.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's my only issue with unions I belong to one dead beats get paid the same as the good ones.
You ain’t seen nothing ‘til you get around the gubment Union folks...sorrier than ape *s-wordt! See it every single day in C-17’s, and they’re well spread across all aircraft maintenance squadrons and every facet of work on base. Grievance filing turds is all they are.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea, the stories my friend tells me of working at the VA scare me!

My last trip to visit a dear friend in the VA caused me to stop and say -- we need to apologize to all our service men and women-- they deserve far better than this.
To say I was disappointed would be fairly mild.