HELP! Technique for dropping leaning trees

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I gave up on them, I am going to wait until spring time, and then come up with a plan

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know its been awhile,
snow melted and I made it back to the old family homestead, here is a few pics of one of the trees I would like dropped.

it is spilt and doesnt have a path to land without getting tangled up, there is nothing of value that it could take out and its not in my way at all, its just firewood to me.

Im thinking a few ratched straps by the spilt and making a face cut and than leaving mother nature to do the rest. just an idea I had, not sure if its a good one or not.

Attachments

• IMG_20240205_104722314.jpg
    IMG_20240205_104722314.jpg
    363.4 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20240205_104732356.jpg
    IMG_20240205_104732356.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20240205_104743057.jpg
    IMG_20240205_104743057.jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_20240205_104756486.jpg
    IMG_20240205_104756486.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 34

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Honestly I’d notch that prick and bore cut it but adding straps wouldn’t hurt. Looks like it’s hung anyway.

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Trees like that can be sketchy. I would bore cut it but really widen my groove as I'm cutting. Chances are when split like that it's going to want to pinch you in the cut as the tree will shift because of the split. Be safe however you try it!

Cat 525

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never do. Mainly because I'm always cutting walnut.

If I was to cut yours I would probably stay it and bore in on the leaning side but leave an inch or so of meat to hold the tree up. So it don't start pinching right away. Then start boring towards back of tree. I try to always use top of bar. That way if its starting to pinch you will feel pressure trying to push back towards you. That's a sign to get outta there. Then bore back in and really move the saw back and forth. ( really get after it ). Keep boring towards the back. Once the tree sets it can no longer set or pinch you anymore. Keep going to the back. When you get where there's an inch or two holding . Stop and get outta the cut. Or if ya see the bark kinda popping is another sign.
You can slash down on the front but be dam quick so you don't get pinched. If you get pinched you'll understand why I said dam quick. Then go to back and slash down and it should gently fall over while your getting the hell away. Don't stand there and admire your work.
Also if that tree is split it may pinch when you are in the cut. That's the sketchy part. Borrow somebody else's saw so if that happens you can leave it there for the coon hunters! Hope this helped or at least laughed a bit. Just be safe!

Woodwackr

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you get a winch line to the tree?
if so, undercut it to get it off the stump, then pull it to the left to get it on the ground.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
2:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d just say…. Invite some crazy ope members for a gtg 🤪

But really I can’t see much in them pics to even figure out what the best thing to do is…

I think you’ve had the advice before ( ratchet strap, small face cut, and bore cut, then release it with the final tickle from the back and run for it..

There are so many ways to deal with learners,… like I said before invite someone and learn from them ( or not ) 🤔😉👍

redneckhillbilly

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d just say…. Invite some crazy ope members for a gtg 🤪

But really I can’t see much in them pics to even figure out what the best thing to do is…

I think you’ve had the advice before ( ratchet strap, small face cut, and bore cut, then release it with the final tickle from the back and run for it..

There are so many ways to deal with learners,… like I said before invite someone and learn from them ( or not ) 🤔😉👍
next moth I will move back up to homestead property and stare at until I muster up the confidence to take a saw to it, I cut firewood selectively from my property and 24 inch dbh trees I can confidently trip them where I want them to go, there is this leaner and another I would like to remove this year.

couple of quality ratchet straps, and with a bore cut, and my head on a swivel I think I can get them down safely.

chipper1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Also if that tree is split it may pinch when you are in the cut. That's the sketchy part.
Been there. Had a 20" red oak with a big sweep in it(read 6-8' sweep), then the wind came along and gave it a nudge so the top was about 20' out from the base. I made a very small notch and then bore cut it from the high side(would have at least bored it half way from the low side but there was a save tree about 12" from it), I managed to get about 2/3 in before cutting the stress cracks loose and the door was instantly closed. I had no idea there were cracks in it because the root plate had lifted, but once it was down it was easily seen, ie, hindsight is 2020 lol. Fortunately I was able to grab another saw a pull the powerhead and did everything exactly the same although above the previous cuts and also made my bore cut much wider and got it down no problem. When I went to cut my bar out of the stump thee was still enough tension that I couldn't cut from the back straight out the front without opening the cut up wider. Its amazing how much tension they can have in them.