ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice looking burn and equally nice looking fit on the wedge. How did you profile the ends like that? Or; did it shave to fit as you drove it in?

thanks when the handle has fitted down perfectly ready to wedge I draw a pencil line against the axehead then knock it off and get the 4 1/2 angle grinder with a 80 grit sanding disc and taper the wood down to the head to blend it in then fit the head again and put the heartwood hickory wedge in
I like the contrast between Ash handle and hickory wedge I've always cut my handles off flush
I don't know which is correct flush or 1/2" proud

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
7:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was actually talking about how the wedge is fit to that flare fills the gaps on each end.

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
12:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was actually talking about how the wedge is fit to that flare fills the gaps on each end.

ok right i usually get the wedge started and then hit it with a claw hammer left and right and itll split and fill the ends and as it is smacked down itll join up as it goes down and the thick end will fill the voids perfectly , if you work that wedge in right

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
ok right i usually get the wedge started and then hit it with a claw hammer left and right and itll split and fill the ends and as it is smacked down itll join up as it goes down and the thick end will fill the voids perfectly , if you work that wedge in right
Looks nice and tight. Nice work.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven’t had any problems with the ash handles most are quarter cut but haven’t got a clue what the oak will react like , 1st time trying it in a handle
I bet if the person swinging it knows how to use an axe and has good aim it will be ok. Tough to tell though. Oak is hard but not as stringy as kickory or ash

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ARPILOT

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:24 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Nice! I was drooling over them on amazon today. Even if I was buying I wouldn’t be able to decide which one I wanted more, I’d have to buy one of each lol
LOL I had that same problem !
hindsight being 20/20..... the large hunters axe is really a hatchet with a longer handle, it's smooth and sharp as you'd expect but the head is too light for anything other than mild to light camp chores.
but still happy to have it !