srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
3:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I mostly use carbide insert tooling with 32.50 or 32.51 CCGT inserts. They are a positive rake which leaves a great finish on aluminum but strong enough to rip through the worst plating and take pretty heavy cuts on steel.

I use a Shars 5/8" tool holder kit for most work, the right/left, size 32.5, shape C (80° rombic) external facing tool holders do the most work.

For cutting squish bands in larger cylinders I have a 3/4" solid carbide Kennametal boring bar, which also uses the 32.5 C carbide inserts. The extra rigidity helps rip through stubborn overplating and will leave a better finish. You can usually find used boring bars like that on eBay for $80-100 and they are well worth the money.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
2:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of people dislike shars... kinda like name brand saws vs China saws. Lol
With that said, shars has some nice items for the money spent, 💯.
At the time(when I got started) I had to borrow a lathe to get going, it would not have made a lot of sense to invest big $$$ into it. I've since purchased that same lathe and I've got used to the easy setup and how well it works for me. So I don't feel/see the need to upgrade now.

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At the time(when I got started) I had to borrow a lathe to get going, it would not have made a lot of sense to invest big $$$ into it. I've since purchased that same lathe and I've got used to the easy setup and how well it works for me. So I don't feel/see the need to upgrade now.
Exactly... I base most of my purchases on the cost vs functionality factor... if i made more $ and I was well off financially... i'd probably have the best of the best... buuuuut, im not.... ahahaha

Rich Fife

Sally slap my ass
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can usually find used boring bars like that on eBay for $80-100
Yessir, I'm always purchasing turning tools and boring bars from ebay. I have mostly Valenite boring bars... small to large both LH and RH.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got two lathes ,a 20" by 48" Boyes and Emmes that came over on the Mayflower and a Monarch 10" EE 12.5 by 20 .The Monarch needs a new controller which I have but haven't found the time to change it .That one you could make parts for the space shuttle ,very accurate .My advice would be either a South Bend or an Atlas 9 or 10" .Preferably a quick change machine although you could get by with a gear change machine which is what I learned on .Takes about a 5 gallon bucket full of gears .
If you find one and it is 3 phase power a rotary convertor is real easy to make .It's not rocket science just a three phase motor and a couple of capacitors .