SHOW ME YOUR AXES

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
2:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a couple things in the mail today.

First is a Plumb cruiser, I bought it because the toes aren’t as worn as the one I have. Happy with it besides the grinder marks all over it.

Now that I’m looking at these pics, it appears the cruisers are not the same pattern. Note how flat the top of black one is compared to the one I just got. Looks like my new one is more of a Humboldt pattern and my original is a Michigan or Pennsylvania
8CD3D31F-0A63-450A-94A1-79AC1D1C7B5C.jpeg

Comparison to my 3 1/2 pound felling ax
E7E9C040-B886-4405-ACB4-39997B64C375.jpeg

Here are the careless grinding marks I mentioned. They’re literally everywhere on the ax, it’s gonna take a lot of time to get it smoothed out but it will be worth it. Just thankful they didn’t take the makers mark off.
F82F411C-AE68-45A6-B859-6282F3905E40.jpeg 6E17AEE6-0B34-465A-B4B9-74C4873D71AB.jpeg

Last edited:

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this one I’m REALLY excited and happy with. I’ve never seen a Plumb boys axe in this pattern and it’s has been cleaned up carefully. It looks like a different twist on a Hudson Bay pattern. Can’t wait to hang it and finish the metal work on it.

A9203283-89E4-4E3F-82AA-9D1B20CAD85F.jpeg

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love them plumbs
I’ve got a soft spot for them too. Both my grandfathers had Plumbs and my dad always admired them. Kind of carrying on a family tradition, I have one of my grampas axes and Joe has the other.

Here’s my grampas Plumb. Had to remove it from the handle and re-hang it a couple days ago, she’s nice and tight now.
A547572E-D45E-4230-B1F2-85D7A12ED7C6.jpeg

ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
7:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a couple things in the mail today.

First is a Plumb cruiser, I bought it because the toes aren’t as worn as the one I have. Happy with it besides the frigin grinder marks all over it. Friends don’t let friends using a grinder on an ax unless it’s a dang wire wheel!!!!

Now that I’m looking at these pics, it appears the cruisers are not the same pattern. Note how flat the top of black one is compared to the one I just got. Looks like my new one is more of a Humboldt pattern and my original is a Michigan or Pennsylvania
View attachment 127840

Comparison to my 3 1/2 pound felling ax
View attachment 127843

Here are the careless grinding marks I mentioned. They’re literally everywhere on the ax, it’s gonna take a lot of time to get it smoothed out but it will be worth it. Just thankful they didn’t take the makers mark off.
View attachment 127842 View attachment 127841

Nice pair of axes Josh , those words are scared I’ve cleaned it with the grinder

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now this one I’m REALLY excited and happy with. I’ve never seen a Plumb boys axe in this pattern and it’s has been cleaned up carefully. It looks like a different twist on a Hudson Bay pattern. Can’t wait to hang it and finish the metal work on it.

View attachment 127844

That’s so nice that boys axe it’ll look perfect with one of your handles

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a soft spot for them too. Both my grandfathers had Plumbs and my dad always admired them. Kind of carrying on a family tradition, I have one of my grampas axes and Joe has the other.

Here’s my grampas Plumb. Had to remove it from the handle and re-hang it a couple days ago, she’s nice and tight now.
View attachment 127848

That’s a very nice axe too one to treasure I don’t ever get too see this pattern of axe it’s only on here that I see them thanks for sharing this

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That’s so nice that boys axe it’ll look perfect with one of your handles
Can’t wait to hang it. I’ve been trying to find the pattern name for it online and haven’t had any luck. I really like the look of it, darn near a hatchet but it’s not, it has a full size eye.

That’s a very nice axe too one to treasure I don’t ever get too see this pattern of axe it’s only on here that I see them thanks for sharing this

Glad you like bud. I rarely swing it due to its sentimental value.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I meant no offense bud, my apologies. Guess I was venting a little frustration because I didn’t see those marks in the pics when I bought it.

Get on nothing wrong no offence at all , in the past ive had the same scenario speaking to someone selling a axe and they think they’ve added value and saved you work by doing it , ask them the question did you sand it or wire brush it
Reply neither I hit it with the 4” grinder answer no freaking way

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir. Been to busy. Plus, my area, people don't seem to have any old ones. Only newer store bought stuff. Lol

ARPILOT

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
my attempt at a review/comparison on 3 Wetterlings models.....
first up is the Hunters Hatchet - 16" oal, 2lb 2oz, 3" cutting edge
IMG_0381.JPG IMG_0382.JPG IMG_0384.JPG IMG_0391.JPG
as typical with Wetterlings it has fairly thick cheeks (unlike GB's) I think with those cheeks on a light head it really didn't excel at any of the tasks....splitting was mediocre at best, feathering some shavings was ok, chopping was horrible to be honest, it's just too light and short and those cheeks just don't make a good combination. I would rate this for light duty small limbing around the yard etc - I would not pack it into the woods for any purpose I can think of. But it is a good looking piece so it has that going for it !