ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
2:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I trimmed the shoulder back so the ax would draw up further for a fresh tight fit. Someone must have put resin or something on the end of the handle because it is very hard. As seen in the pic, the wedge was actually shaved by the handle wood as I drove it in. Every little contour of the wedge slot was carved into the wedge, including one of the holes from a nail. It took some careful trimming here and there to keep the wedge from breaking but I got about 2.5” of wedge in the eye.

View attachment 127637

Ready for action again. The step wedges went in HARD, felt like I was driving them into seasoned oak. I hope the hardness of the wood didn’t prevent a good pinch in the eye. I’ll be taking it for a walk again today, let’s see if I really know what I’m doing...lolView attachment 127638

Awesome job Josh that’ll hold now

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hung my True Temper, Kelly Perfect splitting ax on a hardware store handle today. I’ve been dying to try it and haven’t had the chance to make one for it yet. I am really impressed with how well it split wood. I’ve been using an 8 pound Woodings Verona maul for the last 15 years and I was skeptical about how the ax would perform, even in straight grain wood. I’m hooked on splitting axes now! Soooooo light and nimble. I normally do the old wrist flick with my maul to pop off chunks and leave the wood standing for the next swing. It was even easier to use with this technique with the axe and it was just as effective.

This was a 26” piece of ash, yes ash splits Nice but I was still surprised I was able to open a block that size with an ax, and it took the same number of swings as the maul, 1 far side, 1 nearside and one in the center in line with each other. Of course the maul still wins when the wood has a giant knot in it like the sugar maple block to the right.

View attachment 127702

And then, despite my enthusiasm for my new found favorite splitting implement disaster struck. This happened about 50 swings into a 6 hour day of splitting. The end grain in the handle is perpendicular to the ax, I know it’s wrong but it’s the best they had. What I find interesting is how it cracked across the grain. I guess the bone dry hickory didn’t like the wrist flick move. It may have lasted much longer if I had sanded the poly off and put on a few coats of BLO but I wanted to swing it today. One thing is for sure, making a handle for this ax is now a priority.

View attachment 127703

That sucks at the start of the day your probably right getting rid of the poly
Some brands now it’s on so thick takes ages too get the crap off

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
9:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You gotta try a GB Splitting Ax Josh. Super nice to swing. The wood explodes as soon as the ax cuts in. Swing speed is super fast.
I think you would really like it.
I think I need to sneak an order in for one of those. I’m not in a huge hurry now, my wife and I split 8 face cord yesterday and that finished off our firewood...woop woop!

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
GB uses a piece of sheet metal that is wrapped around the top. About the best thing that I have seen.
I’ve always admired that design, it just screams quality and experience in design. Built to last, not throw away and that’s pretty rare now days.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve always admired that design, it just screams quality and experience in design. Built to last, not throw away and that’s pretty rare now days.

Yeah very true Josh I’ve warched Jeff’s video a few times and they are quality
And make the job easier , and Iam sure different woods need different styles of axes and I feel this thread is a fountain of knowledge to anyone who loves axes

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah very true Josh I’ve warched Jeff’s video a few times and they are quality
And make the job easier , and Iam sure different woods need different styles of axes and I feel this thread is a fountain of knowledge to anyone who loves axes
Yes sir I love this thread. I’ve watched Jeff’s videos too, I think he can make any ax look good being the small feller that he is...lol!;)

@RI Chevy lol

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Going back too protecting the handle if Iam using any axes too split wood
I always wrap vetrap or cohesive bandage under the axe head it helps the shock on your hands and it protects the handle , when your finished cut it off and said axe can go back being a shelf queen