ajschainsaws

Axes never run out of Gas
GoldMember
Local time
1:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
my attempt at a review/comparison on 3 Wetterlings models.....
first up is the Hunters Hatchet - 16" oal, 2lb 2oz, 3" cutting edge
View attachment 127905 View attachment 127906 View attachment 127907 View attachment 127908
as typical with Wetterlings it has fairly thick cheeks (unlike GB's) I think with those cheeks on a light head it really didn't excel at any of the tasks....splitting was mediocre at best, feathering some shavings was ok, chopping was horrible to be honest, it's just too light and short and those cheeks just don't make a good combination. I would rate this for light duty small limbing around the yard etc - I would not pack it into the woods for any purpose I can think of. But it is a good looking piece so it has that going for it !

Good review it’s funny I had a 2lb Wetterlings axe here late last year people seem to be going for them now there finishing production

ARPILOT

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
next up is Wetterlings Large Hunters Axe.....
20" oal, 2lb 6oz, 3" cutting edge
IMG_0376.JPG IMG_0378.JPG IMG_0379.JPG IMG_0389.JPG
this has the same head as the hatchet model but with a longer handle. So it carries over some of the same disadvantages but the longer handle affords you more leverage which aided in the chopping.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

ARPILOT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
IMG_0385.JPG IMG_0388.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0393.JPG
some side by side comparison shots along with the Hudson Bay model. The HB model did great at all tasks, considerably bigger tool of course, 23", 3lb 6oz, 3.5" cutting edge.
the Hudson Bay made all the chores really easy, it would be worth packing a little extra weight to have it along wherever you might end up !

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No sir. Been to busy. Plus, my area, people don't seem to have any old ones. Only newer store bought stuff. Lol
I think online sales are killing the old flea market and yard sale grabs. I dig eBay but it just drives collectible *s-word up too expensive. I have a few fellers out there that pick for me.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Get on nothing wrong no offence at all , in the past ive had the same scenario speaking to someone selling a axe and they think they’ve added value and saved you work by doing it , ask them the question did you sand it or wire brush it
Reply neither I hit it with the 4” grinder answer no freaking way

A wire wheel on a 4” grinder works great and gives a nice even finish. But as you said an actual grinder disc kills it for me.

I think online sales are killing the old flea market and yard sale grabs. I dig eBay but it just drives collectible *s-word up too expensive. I have a few fellers out there that pick for me.

100% agreed. I don’t like paying the eBay price but you just can’t find them at garage sales as frequently anymore. And, if people have an ax with a makers mark all they gotta do is look at eBay prices and then their price goes through the roof...lol

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
View attachment 127916 View attachment 127917 View attachment 127918 View attachment 127919
some side by side comparison shots along with the Hudson Bay model. The HB model did great at all tasks, considerably bigger tool of course, 23", 3lb 6oz, 3.5" cutting edge.
the Hudson Bay made all the chores really easy, it would be worth packing a little extra weight to have it along wherever you might end up !
Man those are some thick cheeks. Sounds like you’re a little underwhelmed with performance. Are you going to reshape the cheeks so they chop better???

ARPILOT

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Man those are some thick cheeks. Sounds like you’re a little underwhelmed with performance. Are you going to reshape the cheeks so they chop better???
thats a good way to put it, underwhelmed on the 2 hunter models ! I might reshape the cheeks sometime, maybe a winter project etc. Or I'll leave them alone and just grab one of the GB's !
I had the notion that I really wasn't going to like the Hudson Bay, boy was I wrong ! That one is a great tool and will see much use.

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thats a good way to put it, underwhelmed on the 2 hunter models ! I might reshape the cheeks sometime, maybe a winter project etc. Or I'll leave them alone and just grab one of the GB's !
I had the notion that I really wasn't going to like the Hudson Bay, boy was I wrong ! That one is a great tool and will see much use.

Hudson’s are great axes. I think the only thing that’s a downfall (if you would even call it that) is Hudson’s have a shorter poll top to bottom therefore you don’t get as much contact with the handle on the pinch. That’s not based on any experience of mine, just looking at my Collins HB compared to other axes I have. Time will tell I guess.

ajschainsaws

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag