Erik

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For code here it would all have to be pt, just as an FYI! Have seen stop work orders on decks and porches for using non pt lumber, it may be different down there. Here once you exceed 50% value or do a complete gut, you have to bring everything up to code. And any time you make structural changes you need a permit, like add trusses enlarging windows or moving then, just don’t want you to get caught off guard, I know your friends with the inspector, but sometimes that only goes so far!

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For code here it would all have to be pt, just as an FYI! Have seen stop work orders on decks and porches for using non pt lumber, it may be different down there. Here once you exceed 50% value or do a complete gut, you have to bring everything up to code. And any time you make structural changes you need a permit, like add trusses enlarging windows or moving then, just don’t want you to get caught off guard, I know your friends with the inspector, but sometimes that only goes so far!
A covered porch doesn’t need to be PT here.

As far as the rehab goes, the inspector told me that only the plumbing and electrical had to be brought up to current code. Window openings/sizes were on my plans, so I’m good to go there. Obviously the addition has to meet current codes.

He may call me on the porch expansion, but worst case he will make me pay more money for the extra permitting.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A covered porch doesn’t need to be PT here.

As far as the rehab goes, the inspector told me that only the plumbing and electrical had to be brought up to current code. Window openings/sizes were on my plans, so I’m good to go there. Obviously the addition has to meet current codes.

He may call me on the porch expansion, but worst case he will make me pay more money for the extra permitting.
Wow, that’s a lot different than here! Here any exterior use or concrete contact would need to be pt, treated, or exterior rated(if the porch was inclosed it wouldn’t need that, but the posts would still need to be pt) and the whole house would have to be brought up to strict code including foundation along with insulation and vapor barrier

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, that’s a lot different than here! Here any exterior use or concrete contact would need to be pt, treated, or exterior rated(if the porch was inclosed it wouldn’t need that, but the posts would still need to be pt) and the whole house would have to be brought up to strict code including foundation along with insulation and vapor barrier
I did use PT anywhere that wood touches concrete, obviously. The post bases I used keep the posts off the concrete, so no need for PT... at least here where I live.

I agree that it’s not a bad idea to use it on porches, even where they are covered, but PT is 3 times the price, and I actually got these DF 2x6s for free.

Here they let you call it a remodel as long as you leave one wall standing... some people do that just to keep from having to pull a new house permit, which is much more expensive than a remodel permit.

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Took off early and went to buy some more supplies... didn’t realize how many can lights I was going to need, and also didn’t realize that the Air-tight LED housings I have to use are $15 each! It’s amazing how quickly the dollars add up when doing this sort of work. :eek:

I’m gonna try and finish all the rest of the framing/blocking, and hardware on Monday, and get the housewrap on the exterior so I can start installing siding, windows, and doors... which I already have on site. Hoping that this part of the job goes a little quicker than the trusses, fascia, and roof sheathing did.

Also once I get the roof inspected, I can install the synthetic felt and start installing the comp roof...

MontanaTed

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:43 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ordered this. Every time I do a roof I wish I had one... should speed things up.

View attachment 180134

I used to make one from 3/4” plywood because I was cheap but man I almost pulled that trigger more than once. They are worth it.

About like using the snap cutter for hardie siding of vinyl plank flooring. Worth it.

Isn’t it amazing how the lights, door knobs, locksets, towel bars, cabinet knives add up so fast!

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Made some progress today... Reframed the bathroom and front bedroom window openings, filled in the framing above and below the windows in the addition, reframed the front window openings to match the actual size of the windows I bought (oops :oops:), started on the housewrap, and installed 8 of the 11 windows. Should get the rest of the housewrap and windows in tomorrow, and start on the siding.

F75166FB-AC8D-40E3-8934-3F42F0DAAE1F.jpeg A1F80309-A540-4266-BF8E-31297309D72B.jpeg

Last edited: