Somebody Owes Me Some Money

toolmaker

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So, I'm a Tool & Die Maker, retired with 48 years of experience. Years ago I started using Nicholson Chainsaw files for a reason.
Recently I was reading a thread on here about files, and a few of you said that you use Pferd. What the heck, I bought a half-dozen and gave them a try. I didn't even get half of my chain sharpened until the file was junk. As I tossed a brand new Pferd in the trash, I remembered why I have been using Nicholson for so many years.

Attachments

• KIMG0308.JPG
    KIMG0308.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 51

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m
So, I'm a Tool & Die Maker, retired with 48 years of experience. Years ago I started using Nicholson Chainsaw files for a reason.
Recently I was reading a thread on here about files, and a few of you said that you use Pferd. What the heck, I bought a half-dozen and gave them a try. I didn't even get half of my chain sharpened until the file was junk. As I tossed a brand new Pferd in the trash, I remembered why I have been using Nicholson for so many years.
Mine was Obeg/Sandvik till couldn’t get them, started using Vallorbe over a decade ago never looked back.

Last edited:

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe it's me? I commented about Pferd, but lately have seen some don't last like they used to on STIHL chain. Vallorbe seem good, Timber Savage are surprisingly good, the Crescent Nicholson that just came in seem good so far. (more)

RCBS

Redneck Savant Extraordinaire
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They work excellent on Oregon chains for me. Their classic cuts well. The premiums let me get a better edge.

Nicholson is all Mehico and ccp produced now. Not at all what they used to be in my opinion. Never did use their chain files, but used their flat files a good bit. Pretty sure Pferd has moved their flat file production out of Germany, but the chainsaw files are still made there or were last I bought some.

My work is a distributor for both brands.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adam at Stahl’s Sawmill in PA just had a new file produced and everyone that tried the samples said it was one of the best files they’d ever used. I believe they have a website, or at least they have a flyer now and then that will probably have the files in it. Somebody should probably give them a try

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Adam at Stahl’s Sawmill in PA just had a new file produced and everyone that tried the samples said it was one of the best files they’d ever used. I believe they have a website, or at least they have a flyer now and then that will probably have the files in it. Somebody should probably give them a try
Good folks,

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just wonder if there might be some pferd knock offs around?
I've never had a problem with anything pferd.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why TF do You believe chit written on the internet?! :thinking:

Squish9

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have been using the Pferd premium files for about 10 years. I get around 2 chains per file so I must be lucky.

They normal get clogged up with organic matter before they are dull. When it stops cutting I leave them in a tub of vinegar for a day or 2 and that cleans then up enough to get them working again.

Seachaser

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a dozen or so Pferd files. I use Nicholson, Oregon, Stihl, and Husqvarna. I’ve never seen a file like that OP.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy a lot of stuff from them. I’ve been using the husky files, they’re working fine for me. Stahls also has the best price on chain around here.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’ve got a dozen or so Pferd files. I use Nicholson, Oregon, Stihl, and Husqvarna. I’ve never seen a file like that OP.
Looks like it could be a bad steel mix in the cutter and he got lead (or something soft) in the file teeth from the chain. Using a file card (or thumb nail) should push it out if that's the case.

Lions fan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I buy a lot of stuff from them. I’ve been using the husky files, they’re working fine for me. Stahls also has the best price on chain around here.
Guess I'm not the only one. The last batch of files I bought were Husky and they've been pretty decent. Stahl's chain prices are tough to beat if you're looking for Oregon stuff.

Brad Button

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:57 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe it's me? I commented about Pferd, but lately have seen some don't last like they used to on STIHL chain. Vallorbe seem good, Timber Savage are surprisingly good, the Crescent Nicholson that just came in seem good so far. (more)
Stihl puts a heavier plating on their cutters than all other chain companies so the are harder on files. The fallers around here wouldn't run the Stihl chain for that reason.

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stihl puts a heavier plating on their cutters than all other chain companies so the are harder on files. The fallers around here wouldn't run the Stihl chain for that reason.
From what i can tell it's due to a higher chromium and nickel content in the steel mix, so the cutters are uniform throughout. If this was not the case they would be easy to sharpen once breaking through the surface plating. The nickel gives steel toughness and the chromium provides wear resistance. The chains stay sharp longer though are harder to file. The trick seems to be to sharpen the chain each tank of gas with one light stroke per cutter.