Reaction score

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
2:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All other things being equal, how much faster is square than round filed, typically?

I have never filed a square chain ever but I have a few rocked loops I’d like to play around with to see what I can get out of them. Figure if I have to take off half the cutter anyway, might as well try it.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Square is faster AJ. By how much is the $ question. Square file seems to allow the saw to cut easier, and stays sharp longer than round.

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full race chain, of course much faster. Work chain all depends on the angle of the dangle. Your round filed is no slouch AJ, so maybe you wouldn’t see as much gain as the next guy.

What ya can’t measure is how much smoother it cuts compared to round.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All other things being equal, how much faster is square than round filed, typically?

I have never filed a square chain ever but I have a few rocked loops I’d like to play around with to see what I can get out of them. Figure if I have to take off half the cutter anyway, might as well try it.

Depends, but probably 15-30% faster, so it's a decent difference. I'd advise against starting with a rocked loop. Best choice would be to get a couple loops from someone here with a square grinder. Keep one untouched as an example and use and practice on the other one. Either that or start with some chisel chain (ideally Oregon because it's softer). It helps if the chain doesn't have a ton of hook when you start. It will take a few filings to get it to look like square chain, but that's easier and less wasteful than filing a bunch back at once.

Definitive Dave

Piss Rev Mafia Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
OK three more chain tests from yesterday - we are cutting in 8x8 soaking wet heavy ass fresh cut cottonwood and the times are a little faster than the prior tests in dry poplar.
I will post up the chain pic for the JR2 chain soon, Cole will have to post up close up chain pics of the other two chains as they are chains he brought along.
cut times: 1 sec, .93, .9

cut times: 1.03 sec, 1, 1

cut times: .9sec, .9, .87

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Full race chain, of course much faster. Work chain all depends on the angle of the dangle. Your round filed is no slouch AJ, so maybe you wouldn’t see as much gain as the next guy.

What ya can’t measure is how much smoother it cuts compared to round.
The smooth factor is what I appreciate. In the hardwoods I generally am around, square is not really that much faster but it's smooth. That is what I chase. Also I find that with the working corner supported with square, when you find metal it's not as much to remove because it does not fold over as bad.