ferris

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello to everyone, Steph from germany here :ARMS1:

I'm glad to share my experiences with the new 462 on this site. Honestly... in the last months, since my sign up on OPE, i was more an interested reader than an active user.
I think OPE is agreat platfrom with lot's of knowledge and a big bunch of cool people from what i see and read so far.
Now i hope i can put something useful in it with my thougts and experiences.

Unfortunately, my english is not that good, but i will do my best.

Oh, and thanks @blsnelling for posting the pic's and numbers already.

The 462 i have for now belongs to a good friend who wants it ported. I will do all mods on the saw progressively with vid's and pic's to show us the gains per step, starting with a muffler mod next week.
If you guys have questions on the saw, please ask! I try to answer them the best i can. Iam also open for all kinds of ideas in terms of modding, i never stop learning. ;)

Here some more impressions of it. My test wood is a cosistent log of german beech, three months on the ground. Pretty dense and hard.
iPBORNx.jpg

The saw is fully stock so far, out of the box chain, 7pin. Imho the saw feels really torquie, i pushed quite heavy on the last cut. Oh, and Stihl is going crazy on the stock muffler, 121db is not quiet, loudest stock saw i've ever used!

For fun a small encounter against my old ported 560xpg and something big...

More videos to come, i have some left on my gopro. I want to put a stock 562 against it.
To this point the 462 looks like a winner for me in its class! Light and strong :b1:

We will see :applaudit:

Greetings Steph
Schöner Beitrag Stephan:)

395 setup?
8 or 9 Pin?

porsche965

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not surprising against a ported 60cc saw wearing short bars. Strap on a 28 to 32" bar and see what happens. Plus give that 462 about 10 tanks to wake up and things will be different.

I still wish they would have kept with the 77cc displacement of the 461.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not surprising against a ported 60cc saw wearing short bars. Strap on a 28 to 32" bar and see what happens. Plus give that 462 about 10 tanks to wake up and things will be different.

I still wish they would have kept with the 77cc displacement of the 461.

Since the pistons are very close (if not the same) diameter, I think a lot of the weight savings came from a shorter stroke (less crank & rod material). That steel is the heavy stuff!

Keep in mind it is replacing both the 441 & 461. To produce the power of the 461 in a pkg that is 1 - 1+1/2 lbs lighter than either the 441 or 461 is impressive. It also seems to be more than 1 lb lighter than the Husky 572. Will be interesting to see how they compare in power.

The weight & power #s for the 462 are very impressive for a stock saw, and it should have a wide range of appeal.

Considering most of the tree guys around here are using 460s and 461s as their main saw, this one should be a home run.

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks @StephK87 these threads take lots of time and they are very appreciated. Your English is great, and much better than what German I can remember from school!

About the only number I'm still curious about is the squish. (Thanks for showing gasket thickness already.)

Thanks! Squish is at 0,031" with the base gasket ;)

Schöner Beitrag Stephan:)

395 setup?
8 or 9 Pin?

7pin with a decent chain :D

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
but I thought the longer the stroke the better the torque, so by making a shorter stroke, ......yeh you get some weight saving at a cost of only running a shorter bar. but stihl may be aiming their market at the more general tree boys and also the epa.

I'm up for the longer stroking conrods,, longer is better, said the nun to the bishop, short and fat is for the boys ;):thumbup:

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There are many factors that influence torque, and total ccs are more important than stroke. In cars and chainsaws, I always prefer an over square engine.

VinceGU05

one day when i grow up...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For the general masses- stock will be sufficient. The weirdos on these sites (myself included) probably make up 1/10th of 1 percent of gross sales for these companies annually. In line with that- 99.9% of users will be completely satisfied with the saw.
there you go again talkin all sense 'nd *s-word. lol

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd say the new Husky 572 has got a problem lol.

We'll see. This 462 looks great for it's weight, but the 572 seems to be a freakin' screamer too.

Now for the reliability... I really like the way the 572 is built, and i'll like to see some 462's crankcase's pics. I hope Stihl didn't sacrifice everything for the weight.

CapitaineHaddoc

I don't eat frogs
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We'll see. This 462 looks great for it's weight, but the 572 seems to be a freakin' screamer too.

Now for the reliability... I really like the way the 572 is built, and i'll like to see some 462's crankcase's pics. I hope Stihl didn't sacrifice everything for the weight.

And I'll like to see a few pics of the mufflers from these 2.

Stock for stock, a 362 will last longer than a 562, i'm pretty sure that's because Husqvarna put all this crap inside the muffler, the saw is probably overheating. My coworker killed his 562 in less than a year. And he wasn't able to leave his hand on the top cover when the saw was hot.

For cons, a ported 562 with an empty muffler will last much longer. My WWS 562 has a little more than 3 years of professional use, and it's still running great. And the top cover were never THAT hot.

@StephK87 , any pics of the muffler?

And the most important question, where are you in Germany? If you're not too far from me we could try some saws and share some beers!

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's a quick comparison between the 462, a new ported 461 and bone stock 562xp with good runtime on it.

it feels like the 462 is still adjusting in the cut, i think will repeat it with a proper charpend chain after another tank of fuel.
The 461 needs a finer tune.

One thing is clear, with slightly lower weight the 462 is crushing the 562 in terms of power per pound! It's a game changer

Last edited: