Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
11:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm crazy excited for this thing to show up in the US but it honestly confuses me why Stihl is calling this the MS462. I would think they'd can the 441, call this a 442 and keep the 461 in the lineup as the old school lower tech saw. Seems more logical to me.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm crazy excited for this thing to show up in the US but it honestly confuses me why Stihl is calling this the MS462. I would think they'd can the 441, call this a 442 and keep the 461 in the lineup as the old school lower tech saw. Seems more logical to me.

Considering this is replaces a 70cc Saw, I couldn't agree more.

Between The Rescue Saw, & how popular the 461 has been as a felling saw, it surprises me they are doing away with the 461.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pollution controls unfortunately are needed. I can remember seeing and smelling rivers here in Tennessee that were so polluted that they were dark brown and devoid of life. I also remember the Tennessee Valley around Knoxville being thick with smog. Today those same rivers are beautiful, and even with many more people, the smog is gone.

Without wading into a political discussion I'll just say that without any controls, the world as we know it would be *frenched.

Finding that fine line between preserving the future for my grandkids and over regulation is something we should strive for rather than using these things as political battering rams.

Remember......this is coming from a guy that hops up engines......

Randy, I agree with you 100%, unfortunately the Government often gets it wrong. We had terrible acid rain North of here, and some of the best fishing lakes in the Adirondack Mtns were totally devoid of fish. Thankfully, it has changed.

But what they did to cars in the 80, and rating saws based on size and not performance, are just a few examples of how they go off the tracks. They just often lack common sense.

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's the port timing, stock with gasket.

Exhaust - 98
Transfers - 117/120
Intake - 81

MS462C%20Port%20Timing-L.jpg

MS462%20Degree%20Wheel-L.jpg

This shot gives you a good idea of how compact this saw is. MS462C vs 395XP
MS462%20vs%20395XP-L.jpg

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would cut with this saw in stock form for a few weeks and kinda get the feel for what the engineers have achieved. Then pull it apart and stare at it for a while. Don't forget folks new model time brings other joys too....MS461's will be discounted new & all the lightly used PSP saws will flood the used market as they upgrade. If one keeps an eye out you will see some ripper 461 deals.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
10:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would cut with this saw in stock form for a few weeks and kinda get the feel for what the engineers have achieved. Then pull it apart and stare at it for a while. Don't forget folks new model time brings other joys too....MS461's will be discounted new & all the lightly used PSP saws will flood the used market as they upgrade. If one keeps an eye out you will see some ripper 461 deals.
Hush now thats what I've been counting on since I saw the 462 announcement

blsnelling

Friend of the Riff Raff
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically, we've been staring at this saw for several years with the 261 and 461. I'm ready to grind!

weedkilla

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:18 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll probably sell my 562 (not quite a lightly used psp saw, but anyway).

A 70cc saw for a couple of hundred grams extra is a deal in my mind.

Last edited:

StephK87

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello to everyone, Steph from germany here :ARMS1:

I'm glad to share my experiences with the new 462 on this site. Honestly... in the last months, since my sign up on OPE, i was more an interested reader than an active user.
I think OPE is agreat platfrom with lot's of knowledge and a big bunch of cool people from what i see and read so far.
Now i hope i can put something useful in it with my thougts and experiences.

Unfortunately, my english is not that good, but i will do my best.

Oh, and thanks @blsnelling for posting the pic's and numbers already.

The 462 i have for now belongs to a good friend who wants it ported. I will do all mods on the saw progressively with vid's and pic's to show us the gains per step, starting with a muffler mod next week.
If you guys have questions on the saw, please ask! I try to answer them the best i can. Iam also open for all kinds of ideas in terms of modding, i never stop learning. ;)

Here some more impressions of it. My test wood is a cosistent log of german beech, three months on the ground. Pretty dense and hard.
iPBORNx.jpg

The saw is fully stock so far, out of the box chain, 7pin. Imho the saw feels really torquie, i pushed quite heavy on the last cut. Oh, and Stihl is going crazy on the stock muffler, 121db is not quiet, loudest stock saw i've ever used!

For fun a small encounter against my old ported 560xpg and something big...

More videos to come, i have some left on my gopro. I want to put a stock 562 against it.
To this point the 462 looks like a winner for me in its class! Light and strong :b1:

We will see :applaudit:

Greetings Steph

Last edited: