Huskyboy meets the ms462c

tree monkey

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
1:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not always they’re times you’ll get something going and clip the hinge or put a full face Dutchman in to pop it off the stump normally with a humboldt so you don’t meet a butt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cut them free anytime it's safe to reduce stump pull, or to let it roll out of another tree

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
12:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I cut them free anytime it's safe to reduce stump pull, or to let it roll out of another tree

I like how you worded that, “anytime it’s safe”. That video showed about the easiest, most straight forward falling I’ve seen. An ideal spot to teach someone the basics of felling trees and a spot that any production faller would lose their minds getting a chance to cut in to make money.

Any experienced faller knows that in a situation where it’s a dangerous tree or risky area you would take the proper precautions with felling them, nobody wants to die on the job.

The area in the video is a spot I’d like to take my kid to teach him, extremely low risk.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like how you worded that, “anytime it’s safe”. That video showed about the easiest, most straight forward falling I’ve seen. An ideal spot to teach someone the basics of felling trees and a spot that any production faller would lose their minds getting a chance to cut in to make money.

Any experienced faller knows that in a situation where it’s a dangerous tree or risky area you would take the proper precautions with felling them, nobody wants to die on the job.

The area in the video is a spot I’d like to take my kid to teach him, extremely low risk.

The bad part is they probably aren’t paying worth a dang on something like that. I’m surprised they aren’t using a harvester with the ground and for bunched processed piles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
2:17 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 definitely balances a 25” ES better than a 046 does. I just had one here to file the chain on for a friend. Pick up a 046 with that bar and she drops the nose right down. I was not impressed with the stock performance of the 046 either. My feeling is the 462 would embarrass it. 046 felt heavier than my 7900 as well, probably because of the worse balance.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never got the chance to try... but I think a oregon lightweight or stihl light 28” (I think there the lightest 28” bars probably) would still balance ok on the 462, just by judging how it did with the rather heavy 25 es bar.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is interesting Mason. My 460s seem to balance a 24" ES just fine, I just don't like em on the lighter 440s. Also, when I went to Home Depot to check out one of those Makitas that could be converted to a 7910, it felt heavier than my 460 to me!

Guess it depends on the B+C and what you are used to. Different handle spacing likely feels different to different people.

Guess that is why we have variety and can choose what we like!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interestingly, I think a 461 also balances better than the old 046 did as well, im not sure if the weight is slightly more or something else. I know the cases are different. Probably different weight distribution. Balance and ergonomics is just as important as weight to me in a chainsaw. It can make a light chainsaw feel heavier than it really is if the balance is poor and it handles worse. I guess it comes down to personal preference what someone is looking for.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Interestingly, I think a 461 also balances better than the old 046 did as well, im not sure if the weight is slightly more or something else. I know the cases are different. Probably different weight distribution. Balance and ergonomics is just as important as weight to me in a chainsaw. It can make a light chainsaw feel heavier than it really is if the balance is poor and it handles worse. I guess it comes down to personal preference what someone is looking for.

461 wrap handle is a little different than the older 1128 stuff. A 460 balanced better than a 44 to me. A 660 balanced a lot worse than a 390 with the same bars.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Stihl Light bars are noticeably lighter than the standard ES and often make a noticeable difference in the balance (depending on the saw).

Until recently, the Stihl Light were generally the lightest out there, my 28" is much lighter than my Sugi Light 28".

I hear the recent Tsumura are even lighter.

My 20" ES Light is over 12 oz lighter (3/4 lb) than a standard ES bar. You notice the difference as that weight is extended out and is not centrally located.