Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been splitting firewood by hand since I was a little guy. I still enjoy it immensely, but it was time for a change. I now burn about 15-20 cords/year, and have the opportunity to sell a few cords beyond that. Doing all that by hand was starting to take longer than I want. Also, most of that wood could be cut at 32" if I had a way to split it. I figure that would save a lot of time by itself.

So, I ordered a splitter from this company, which is only an hour from me. http://wolferidgemfg.com/wolfe-ridge-mfg-professional-grade-firewood-splitters/

For those of you who don't want to click the link, here's one of his tow behind units:00n0n_kMe9vxRK736_600x450.jpg

Chris normally builds tow behind splitters powered by 13 or 20 HP Hondas. I'm having him put together a splitter for me that will be mounted to my three point hitch on my tractor and use a 20 GPM PTO pump. It'll have a 5"x36" cylinder, an auto cycling valve, a 20 gallon tank, a 4 way wedge, an out feed table, and brackets for a hydraulic log lifter in case I want one down the line. Basically it'll be like a 36" Timberwolf TW3HD. I really like the idea of being 8' from a 3 cylinder diesel instead of 2' from an air cooled gas motor, plus I'll save a lot of money over a unit with its own motor.

And best of all, I get to pick my color scheme. And if you think I'm not going to have it powder coated purple, you, my friend, would be wrong. :headbang: i figure it's a great chance to show people i don't give a firetruck what they think. I'm considering paying a few bucks extra to have the cylinder, push block, etc painted pink (standard color is black) just to really drive home the point :).

So today I put down a deposit to get the ball rolling. Looks like I'll have my splitter in about two weeks. My Gransfors Bruks splitting maul is gonna finally get a rest. It'll be great to get all my wood split in a lot less time so I can spend more time with my family and maybe get some other chores done. Anyway, I just wanted to share my excitement. I'll keep this thread updated with pics when I get the splitter.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like a damn nice splitter Ryan.

Thanks Randy! I'm pretty stoked, as you can probably tell. That guy Sawyer Rob who posts on AS and tractorbynet inspired me to go this route. I was really planning on an electric super split, to avoid the motor noise, but after seeing the pics that he posts and thinking about being able to split 32" rounds, this made more sense. Then I remembered seeing this guy's ad on my local Craigslist and called him up. His price is gonna be about $2000-$2500 less than what Timberwolf wants for one with the same features. After hearing that, I was sold!

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put some glitter on that *s-word too and maybe some Unicorn sticks cause you'll have the only one!

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put some glitter on that *s-word too and maybe some Unicorn sticks cause you'll have the only one!

EXACTLY!! I'm glad you understand.

Another benefit is after it gets seen enough by people i know, the damned thing will be unstealeable (if anyone would even consider stealing a pink and purple splitter in the first place:)).

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right on anti theft! A guy I know painted all his dirt track car suspension pink then put pokadots on it.

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Randy! I'm pretty stoked, as you can probably tell. That guy Sawyer Rob who posts on AS and tractorbynet inspired me to go this route. I was really planning on an electric super split, to avoid the motor noise, but after seeing the pics that he posts and thinking about being able to split 32" rounds, this made more sense. Then I remembered seeing this guy's ad on my local Craigslist and called him up. His price is gonna be about $2000-$2500 less than what Timberwolf wants for one with the same features. After hearing that, I was sold!

Sounds like a hell of a deal on a great piece of equipment.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bucked up some basswood today that I'll get to turn into maple syrup next year. I cut it all at 32". Decided to run my TM Poulan 455. What a slick saw. Pulls an aggressive full chisel 3/8 chain on a 20" bar buried with total ease. Even leaning on it pretty hard. Oh yeah, and it's got an 8 pin rim on it. :)

Anyway, I'm interested to see how I feel about the log loader after I split these guys. I'm planning on lowering the splitter to ground level and rolling them onto the beam. Basswood is pretty light stuff. Relatively speaking...

rps20170421_195527_439.jpg

Cigmaker

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:59 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't wait for an update.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't wait for an update.

Me neither!!

I did order a pump to power the splitter. Ended up going with a Prince pump (USA made) from Dalton hydraulics in Tennessee. They beat everyone's price by a big margin. I tried to cheap out and buy a Dynamic pump (imported), but no one had them in stock. After getting the price from Dalton, though, I would have only saved about $90-100, so I'm happy with the more expensive option. When I first priced them, the Prince was about $600 and the Dynamic was $279. I definitely try to buy American products, but sometimes it's tough to swallow the difference.

I also emailed with Chris at Wolfe Ridge yesterday morning. I asked him to add a couple of little things like a spike for the pump to hang on when it's not in use and a lip on the bottom edge of the beam so I can lay a hatchet and my pickaroon on the beam without them falling off. Oh, and I told him to go ahead on the pink accent color :). Sounds like my splitter will start coming together early next week. Based on his original estimate, I hope that it'll be done by the 10th of May if not before.

That's all for now.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Me neither!!

I did order a pump to power the splitter. Ended up going with a Prince pump (USA made) from Dalton hydraulics in Tennessee. They beat everyone's price by a big margin. I tried to cheap out and buy a Dynamic pump (imported), but no one had them in stock. After getting the price from Dalton, though, I would have only saved about $90-100, so I'm happy with the more expensive option. When I first priced them, the Prince was about $600 and the Dynamic was $279. I definitely try to buy American products, but sometimes it's tough to swallow the difference.

I also emailed with Chris at Wolfe Ridge yesterday morning. I asked him to add a couple of little things like a spike for the pump to hang on when it's not in use and a lip on the bottom edge of the beam so I can lay a hatchet and my pickaroon on the beam without them falling off. Oh, and I told him to go ahead on the pink accent color :). Sounds like my splitter will start coming together early next week. Based on his original estimate, I hope that it'll be done by the 10th of May if not before.

That's all for now.

Nice add ons there and the ram will be pink with sparkles right? And I dead serious too about that.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice add ons there and the ram will be pink with sparkles right? And I dead serious too about that.

The cylinder will definitely be pink. Not sure about sparkles though. I wish they could do the rod in pink, but that's probably outside my budget :(. Sure would be sweet though!

nosurprise87

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Very nice splitter. Y'all burn alot of wood yearly, that bad boy is really going to make it easier.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice splitter. Look forward to getting the update as you run it and see what you think.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20170511_135435.jpg 20170511_131558.jpg
Powder coating is done! The purple is excellent. Pink didn't quite come out how we hoped. Of course they offered to redo it or give me a discount on the orange. It's a tough call, but i think the orange looks good, and I get to pick it up this weekend instead of waiting a little longer. Saturday morning I'm headed back to Wolfe Ridge's shop to retrieve my new splitter!