Huskyboy meets the ms462c

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, see m-tronic v.3 for example on the newer MS 462 and 661. But you have to change the control unit to have the "newer" version. So the control unit is not updateable by the dealer.

Technically it is likley possible that it is updateable, because the firmware has to be put on the chip while manufacturing. But a update function (like Husqvarna with the current AutoTune System) is up to now not used by Stihl or the dealers for the m-tronic control units.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, see m-tronic v.3 for example on the newer MS 462 and 661. But you have to change the control unit to have the "newer" version. So the control unit is not updateable by the dealer.

Technically it is likley possible that it is updateable, because the firmware has to be put on the chip while manufacturing. But a update function (like Husqvarna with the current AutoTune System) is up to now not used by Stihl or the dealers for the m-tronic control units.
Please, just to make sure I have understood you correctly.....are you saying that Stihl has "never " offered a "Plug in ,Dealer software" update ?
Upgrading software (if ever tied) would always need a physical change in components ?
Thanks

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simondo, yes you understand this right. M-tronic control units up to now, as far as I know, are not updateable. To have a other firmware (if it`s existing) the control unit has to be changed to a new one with newer firmware on it.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Simondo, yes you understand this right. M-tronic control units up to now, as far as I know, are not updateable. To have a other firmware (if it`s existing) the control unit has to be changed to a new one with newer firmware on it.
Thanks for the reply and information :)

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just an example for control unit changes (MS 661 C-M). In the past some of them were running to lean an damage was sometimes the result. So firmware parameters had been changed.

Control unit part order no.
1144 400 4710
1144 400 4720
1144 400 4703 (m-tronic v.3 from here on)

BonScott46

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just an example for control unit changes (MS 661 C-M). In the past some of them were running to lean an damage was sometimes the result. So firmware parameters had been changed.

Control unit part order no.
1144 400 4710
1144 400 4720
1144 400 4703 (m-tronic v.3 from here on)

So when you reset an M-tronic saw does it calibrate to the atmospheric conditions and then continue to run at that calibration until the next reset? If this is the case isn't it basically like setting the jets on a carb. Doesn't autotune adjust constantly, the new version adjusting 10 times faster than the old version?

Last edited:

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
During the Reset (on m-tronic versions up to v.2.1), it goes to the factory default setting. This is the depending on the machine at least 60 or 90 sec. cold start run. If you run it after the reset you can feel it how m-tronic tunes itself in to the "current conditions". The first cuts it will run a little bit sluggish and stumble, but it gains power and tune with each cut. After 4 or five cuts it`s normally dialed in. This setting is saved if the machine is switched off. The next start this setting is used to run and if the conditions are the same it`s dialed in. If the conditions have changed m-tronic recognizes it and will retune to the new current conditions. So this means, m-tronic tunes continuosly.

The newer versions 2.1 and 3.0 have a calibration run under full throttle.

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have both. Have around 7 tanks through the c, maybe 2 1/2 on the standard carb. I’ve been too busy trying to break in, or blow up (i don’t care which) a 572 to get any more than that through them. Both 462’s start easy/normally to me. Both are 3 pulls cold pretty much every time so far. 2 to pop, fires on third. Hot have been 1 pull, 2 if I was lazy on the first.
One time the c took about 6 or so pulls but it was one of those situations where I was running the piss out of it, shut it off to split some stuff and it set just long enough to cool off where I should have choked it but I thought it wouldn’t need it. It popped like it wanted to start on every pull. After the next to the last pull, I thought “ hey dummy, try the choke” and voila.
do you prefer one over the other?

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
do you prefer one over the other?
Haven’t run them side by side in the same wood at the same time. I do feel the carbed saw is a little more crisp but if I had the mtronic saw first, I don’t know if I would have pursued the regular carb one. I don’t always like the tune that mtronic sets, but this one has been close enough to how I’d tune it anyway, we’re getting along just fine.

Stihl Potlicker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Haven’t run them side by side in the same wood at the same time. I do feel the carbed saw is a little more crisp but if I had the mtronic saw first, I don’t know if I would have pursued the regular carb one. I don’t always like the tune that mtronic sets, but this one has been close enough to how I’d tune it anyway, we’re getting along just fine.
both stock?

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:06 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah it sucks. I'm a total geek and now I am applying that phenomenal cosmic power to saws. Don't know how I lived with a 180 and borrowed 261 for so long.

Next question, exactly how many wraps and spikes can I fit on my 462?

7, The Answer is Always 7. No Matter the Question , 7

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh... chain catcher isn’t bling imho. The metal catcher kind of sucks on a 70cc and up if your gonna be doing any serious kind of cutting. Not just stihl, but I noticed husky on the 572 they tried to save $ too with the metal catch and small single spike. It destroys the chain when it gets thrown and doesn’t last long. The dogs... eh it’s a matter of personal preference and what your cutting. It’s only bling to upgrade the saw if your just a dude that cuts cookies on the weekend who could get away with using a farmboss or rancher saw lol. I think personalization is a better term.

Even a Huski 262 at Full Speed Will Dam Near Ripe one clean Off the Saw, and My Solo 690, Made Me pucker at Full Speed..
I've destroyed two chains that way. BUT they did Keep Me Safe, And Ne E.R. Visit, So I guess $70.00 is Not so bad ???

Master Bud II

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the damn Norovirus. It ticks all the boxes, all the symptoms that is. I'd love to run a few tanks thru the 572 before it heads out but time is slim currently.

We've had a couple of Outbreaks of Norovirus at work the last couple of years, Thankfully I've not Got it, But Everyone that I know that Have. Said They Thought that They Were Going to Die !!!! Yeah for Cuddies !!!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even a Huski 262 at Full Speed Will Dam Near Ripe one clean Off the Saw, and My Solo 690, Made Me pucker at Full Speed..
I've destroyed two chains that way. BUT they did Keep Me Safe, And Ne E.R. Visit, So I guess $70.00 is Not so bad ???
I wouldn’t even sell a saw without some sort of chain catcher. Anything is better than none. I’m not sure why they use the metal “finger” ones other than to save a little $ is my guess. They just don’t hold up long for me. I don’t really mind upgrading to a roller, not a deal breaker. Just something I like to see on a saw, as it is more of a “pro” feature.