Country flag

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
6:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 is no joke, granted it does not have the torque of the larger saws... but with a light hand and good chain it cuts darn close as fast, especially with shorter bars. A lot of you guys would be surprised. Great saw for brushy areas particularly. I still am attached to my 7900 though, and I did compare it to the 462... it’s still ahead by a bit in cut speed and a lot in torque... but it should be it’s 80cc’s and I did tinker with it admittedly. I hope the 500i is like the 7900... but better... we’ll see.

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
4:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got to try a 462 for a couple of days recently on a Firesmart program that I was working on, put maybe 18-20 tanks through it. Basically we’re just thinning the forest, limbing standing timber 2m high and taking out the dead standing.

I have to say I was extremely impressed with how the saw cut. Very fast and nice torque for such a light chainsaw, mind you the trees weren’t real big that we were falling (24” and under). I was also impressed on how clean the air filter stayed, comparing it to my 461 that I’m tapping out every couple of tanks.

My only complaint was that I did run into restarting issues at times. I tried the suggestions in this thread of not running it completely out of fuel, letting it idle for a good 10sec before shutting it off but still had trouble getting it restarted every once in a while. Seemed strange that it only happened sometimes, not every restart as the way I ran it hadn’t changed from tank to tank.

Overall I thought it was a great saw and can see myself picking one up as soon as they make the Arctic wrap handle for it.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got to try a 462 for a couple of days recently on a Firesmart program that I was working on, put maybe 18-20 tanks through it. Basically we’re just thinning the forest, limbing standing timber 2m high and taking out the dead standing.

I have to say I was extremely impressed with how the saw cut. Very fast and nice torque for such a light chainsaw, mind you the trees weren’t real big that we were falling (24” and under). I was also impressed on how clean the air filter stayed, comparing it to my 461 that I’m tapping out every couple of tanks.

My only complaint was that I did run into restarting issues at times. I tried the suggestions in this thread of not running it completely out of fuel, letting it idle for a good 10sec before shutting it off but still had trouble getting it restarted every once in a while. Seemed strange that it only happened sometimes, not every restart as the way I ran it hadn’t changed from tank to tank.

Overall I thought it was a great saw and can see myself picking one up as soon as they make the Arctic wrap handle for it.
Thanks for the input sir, I’m wondering if the integration of a “true” fast idle position would help the starting issue some mention. When the one I had here didn’t start on first pull I just threw it on choke and after a pull or two it started. Not using the decomp helps too. Did you try a reset?

Shanesaw80

Tree Assassin
Local time
4:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes I tried a reset on the second day but didn’t seem to help. Like I said it was strange because it didn’t do it on every restart, just every once in a while. I did try using the choke which helped some but it just seem weird to use it considering the saw was only shut off moments before trying to start it again, just long enough to refuel. Hopefully it gets worked out as other then that I personally thought it was a fantastic saw to run, super quick on the throttle.

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@ABarrick you said you had both a standard carb and normal mtronic 462. Does one start better than the other? Does the mtronic one start consistently for you?
I do have both. Have around 7 tanks through the c, maybe 2 1/2 on the standard carb. I’ve been too busy trying to break in, or blow up (i don’t care which) a 572 to get any more than that through them. Both 462’s start easy/normally to me. Both are 3 pulls cold pretty much every time so far. 2 to pop, fires on third. Hot have been 1 pull, 2 if I was lazy on the first.
One time the c took about 6 or so pulls but it was one of those situations where I was running the piss out of it, shut it off to split some stuff and it set just long enough to cool off where I should have choked it but I thought it wouldn’t need it. It popped like it wanted to start on every pull. After the next to the last pull, I thought “ hey dummy, try the choke” and voila.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I do have both. Have around 7 tanks through the c, maybe 2 1/2 on the standard carb. I’ve been too busy trying to break in, or blow up (i don’t care which) a 572 to get any more than that through them. Both 462’s start easy/normally to me. Both are 3 pulls cold pretty much every time so far. 2 to pop, fires on third. Hot have been 1 pull, 2 if I was lazy on the first.
One time the c took about 6 or so pulls but it was one of those situations where I was running the piss out of it, shut it off to split some stuff and it set just long enough to cool off where I should have choked it but I thought it wouldn’t need it. It popped like it wanted to start on every pull. After the next to the last pull, I thought “ hey dummy, try the choke” and voila.
Yeah I had one or two of those 6 or so pull moments myself, “ choke” worked for both situations. Thinking a real “fast idle” would be a good position to add to the mtronic imo.