Husqvarna battery saw fix

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a Husky 540iXP and now they are coming out with 542iXP. The 540 I have, I have complained about, in healthy oak, it "bogging down," too often, "getting in a bind." Like the bar/chain is getting bound in the cut somehow and it stops the saw and I have to go again but I have read all I can about this and some mention that the clutch cover presents a problem in clearing chips during the cut. Is that the same problem as I describe? Whatever it is, it's maddening to have an otherwise good saw and it does this.

My other question is... if the clutch cover is the culprit, do you know if the clutch cover for the 542 could be put on the 540 and problem solved? Or another solution? Is lack of chip clearance what this is about? I'm actually put out with Husky for releasing this saw like this, it should not be this way for an expensive saw like this to behave poorly in oak. I have lots of oaks! Husky should give me a fix! Otherwise, I really like the saw. Presently, I am thinning some woods and it's lighter than other saws I would use. Except for my Echo 2511 but the Echo doesn't have enough power for some trees. I might hop it up some, lol.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:44 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the chain bind on the bar or under clutch cover or is the motor being overloaded and shutting down so it doesn't burn up?

Big difference in the two, nothing You can do regarding the latter!

If You suspect clutch cover clearance issues provoke a "bind", pull the saw out of the log, !!!! remove the battery !!!!, tilt the saw and look whether the space under the clutch cover is clogged with wood chips.

Although, I suspect a motor control unit safety shutdown!
I have that issue with my "big modern" brushless motor powered battery Makita DUC353 while the "little & old" brushed Makita UC250D can't be stopped.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why would Husqvarna care!
They are just interested in selling products.
Coming out with new models helps them discontinue support for the old ones sooner.

livemusic

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to cut with it asap, maybe today, and try to pin down what is going on, but since I first complained about this when I bought it when this saw was introduced, I have read several instances of a "known chip clearance" issue. And a poorly designed clutch cover has been mentioned. Like it simply doesn't allow enough chip flow-through. I hope to get clarification on what I have read, hopefully, someone will chime in. And IF it is just a poorly designed clutch cover, if it's a drop-in fit for the 540. What's odd about this is that I did not buy this saw without doing as much research as I could. In all of the user reviews back then, I didn't find any mention of a concern like this; my 'problem' is pretty significant. If you're cutting 3-4 inch saplings, no big deal, zips right through them. A little bit thicker oak to fell and buck, problem. At introduction, Husqvarna bragged that they had developed a new narrow kerf bar and chain specifically for this battery saw such that it would cut good. So, you would think they did extensive testing. And then those thorough user reviews I read... no mention of any problem like this.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To get back to the basics, bar maintained correctly, chain sharpened correctly, rakers set correctly according to the saw output?
Using the 200x or 300, the classical 200 may not generate what the electric motor is asking for, thus overload protection kicks in.

They are workhorses in their own class, one just has to get use to their personality.

picture (460).jpg

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Chips clogging up under the clutch cover has been described as a problem with many saws in these forums.

Sometimes with certain species of wood. Sometimes with certain types of cutting (e.g. ‘noodling’).

Some people mention techniques, such as keeping the saw at full throttle when removing the bar from the kerf, in order to clear.

Some people have modified clutch covers * still maintaining protective coverage of the sprocket and chain*.

I have no experience with this particular saw.

Might search for those types of threads.

Philbert

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
7:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would start with making sure it is oiling properly then go from there. Chain binding is typically a heat related issue which means little or no oil.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the chain bind on the bar or under clutch cover or is the motor being overloaded and shutting down so it doesn't burn up?

If You suspect clutch cover clearance issues provoke a "bind", pull the saw out of the log, !!!! remove the battery !!!!, tilt the saw and look whether the space under the clutch cover is clogged with wood chips.

I have that issue with my "big modern" brushless motor powered battery Makita DUC353 while the "little & old" brushed Makita UC250D can't be stopped.
The clutch cover is the culprit. They even mention it on Husqys website on the 542i product page.

The cover should sit another 1/2" out from the saw, body. This alone would prevent most of the clogging.

I've also had issues with the retaining bolt that goes into the sprocket. The first 540i I bought, the bolt worked itself out on the very first round I cut with it. Blue threadlock usually does the trick, but every now and again it will back out on its own. Have grooves in two clutch covers from where it did this and ate into the magnesium.

I love this little saw. Have three of them plus a top handled as well.
But the price point and calling it a pro saw was a huge faux pas on Husy's part.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm also hoping the 542i won't have a damned brake sensor. I'm still not completely certain of why the 540i has one; guess cheaping out on the brake/band combined with a non-traditional sprocket/drum made them feel it was needed.....? But in application it doesn't make much sense.

TreeHunter

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think this is it. I worked at a conveyor factory and they were working a new conveyor model with controls to provide amp load shut off feature for safety. Its the same thing they do in these electric saws since they found out they can eat through chaps with all the torque. Maybe its the brushed motor you speak of I dont know. I suspect its a problem in the programmed motor controls and not someting easily fixed. sure maybe a side cover can prevent some of the bind ups but I wonder if anyone will ever break into the controls and release the amp load shutoff on these things. Probably not safe but someone is bound to do it at some point if not already.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I think this is it. I worked at a conveyor factory and they were working a new conveyor model with controls to provide amp load shut off feature for safety. Its the same thing they do in these electric saws since they found out they can eat through chaps with all the torque. Maybe its the brushed motor you speak of I dont know. I suspect its a problem in the programmed motor controls and not someting easily fixed. sure maybe a side cover can prevent some of the bind ups but I wonder if anyone will ever break into the controls and release the amp load shutoff on these things. Probably not safe but someone is bound to do it at some point if not already.
It's definitely not an overload sensor, and the motors on the Husqys are brushless, as are many of the newer li-ion battery tools nowadays.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The clutch cover is the culprit. They even mention it on Husqys website on the 542i product page.

The cover should sit another 1/2" out from the saw, body. This alone would prevent most of the clogging.

I've also had issues with the retaining bolt that goes into the sprocket. The first 540i I bought, the bolt worked itself out on the very first round I cut with it. Blue threadlock usually does the trick, but every now and again it will back out on its own. Have grooves in two clutch covers from where it did this and ate into the magnesium.

I love this little saw. Have three of them plus a top handled as well.
But the price point and calling it a pro saw was a huge faux pas on Husy's part.
If You say so!
Though oak chips clear the chain better than softwood chips, as such to me it makes no sense why it would happen on oak.

On the other hand, oak is harder to cut than most/many other wood species - would easily trigger an overload.

P.S.:
Nowadays the consumer is product testing - don't ever be "the first to buy a new product".
Manufacturers don't care whether You are happy with their product since they already sold it to You otherwise You wouldn't have complaints about it!

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If You say so!
Though oak chips clear the chain better than softwood chips, as such to me it makes no sense why it would happen on oak.

On the other hand, oak is harder to cut than most/many other wood species - would easily trigger an overload.

P.S.:
Nowadays the consumer is product testing - don't ever be "the first to buy a new product".
Manufacturers don't care whether You are happy with their product since they already sold it to You otherwise You wouldn't have complaints about it!
I've been running the 540i for just shy of three years, almost full-time. I've had the 16" bar buried in 20-30" hardwood of varying types. No overloads.

The chips clog the sprocket and clutch. It's a well known problem that even Husqy admits to.

mtndragon

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put the clutch cover from the 542i on my 540. It fits and provides the extra space needed for chip clearance. There's a video on youtube comparing the 540Ii with the 542i and he swaps covers in the last 3 or 4 minutes of the video. I did have quite a time obtaining the 542i clutch cover as the closest husky dealer to me is over an hour away in good driving conditions , so I had to go through Husky online chat support, which is super bad. The part is not a for sale item direct off the website, but when you finally get with a tech support chat person who can comprehend what you're after, it's available. You can buy the complete assembly or just the cover piece and swap over your parts. I bought the assembly, as I was pretty frustrated with my experience with online chat support, and just wanted the experience to end. It took no fewer than 3 reps and over a week to get the transaction complete.
Hopefully you have a competent dealer close by, and it's not so difficult. If the chip clogging is your issue, it provides quite a bit more space, and the 540i should just come with this cover from the factory. I am happy with the upgrade...now that the deal is done.

Edit: Part # 536-88-58-01

Last edited:

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put the clutch cover from the 542i on my 540. It fits and provides the extra space needed for chip clearance. There's a video on youtube comparing the 540Ii with the 542i and he swaps covers in the last 3 or 4 minutes of the video. I did have quite a time obtaining the 542i clutch cover as the closest husky dealer to me is over an hour away in good driving conditions , so I had to go through Husky online chat support, which is super bad. The part is not a for sale item direct off the website, but when you finally get with a tech support chat person who can comprehend what you're after, it's available. You can buy the complete assembly or just the cover piece and swap over your parts. I bought the assembly, as I was pretty frustrated with my experience with online chat support, and just wanted the experience to end. It took no fewer than 3 reps and over a week to get the transaction complete.
Hopefully you have a competent dealer close by, and it's not so difficult. If the chip clogging is your issue, it provides quite a bit more space, and the 540i should just come with this cover from the factory. I am happy with the upgrade...now that the deal is done.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing this!!

I'm not as thrilled with the 542i as I was months back. A big red flag for me is the "inertia activated brake."

Again, why are features like this being sold on a pro saw? Homeowner saws, sure, probably for the better. If a pro isn't ready for kickback at all times, they have no business handling a saw.

mtndragon

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I'm not as thrilled with the 542i as I was months back. A big red flag for me is the "inertia activated brake."

Again, why are features like this being sold on a pro saw? Homeowner saws, sure, probably for the better. If a pro isn't ready for kickback at all times, they have no business handling a saw.
After watching the Youtube video comparing the two, I don't think I'd upgrade. I got my 540i as a deal of the day from HL Supply and I would do the same again even with the 542i out. I'd like to run a 542i just to see, but it seems like it's slightly heavier and slightly more powerful from that comparison video. I like climbing with the saw and as it is, it's hard to choose it over the 2511T because of the weight penalty. I do love the saw for around the wood pile and burn pile, as the no pull ready to go aspect is very convenient. When I am climbing early or don't want to piss off the neighbors with the straight pipe 2511T, I climb with it, and wouldn't want any more weight. It's a great saw, and it has helped me to stop making fun of electric power saws...mostly. :cool:

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

That inertia break is on almost all pro saws and it’s there for a reason. It may save your butt some day.

HumBurner

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That inertia break is on almost all pro saws and it’s there for a reason. It may save your butt some day.
What models? I've never had a saw stop on its own from kickback. That's what the back of my hand is for.

Last edited:

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
5:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’m not sure which saws have it and which don’t. Stihl 201 and Echo 2511 do have it, but you may have never noticed. It doesn’t trip all that easily. But it should engage if you throw the saw, or any other wild flailing like gaffing out or falling down a hill. Maybe your 540 is overly sensitive. That is really annoying. We have a 261 at work that will spring back and re-engage the brake when you pull it back. I’m pretty sure there’s just gunk in the mechanism that doesn’t allow the brake to fully disengage. You may have the same problem.

The one saw I run that doesn’t have an inertia is a battery saw actually. Echo dcs2500t. I would prefer it had one. And a physical power switch instead of the push-and-hold button. I like to turn my saw off and on without having to look at it.