Huskyboy meets the 572xp

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It lasts longer in hardwood like maple and hickory here, as does oregon EXL. Just sticking to round for what I do. A good square is faster than round no doubt though. I think if I was on a pine job I would consider square.

I think you’d look at it differently if you were grinding both, speed can be difference between walking away and not sometimes. @ CLEARCUT @HYPERSAWS
I was always taught you carry up to 5 to 6 chains with you so you’re not hiking out or sharping, a square chain chain shouldn’t be touched with a file because a guy without a grinder will mess up the top angle fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
12:51 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think you’d look at it differently if you were grinding both, speed can be difference between walking away and not sometimes. @ CLEARCUT @HYPERSAWS
I was always taught you carry up to 5 to 6 chains with you so you’re not hiking out or sharping, a square chain chain shouldn’t be touched with a file because a guy without a grinder will mess up the top angle fast.

If I had a grinder, absolutely would look at it differently for sure sir. But I’m poor, for now handfiling budget is what I’m on :). I would like to get a round grinder even just to grind the chains that we hit stuff with. Saves time.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think about after 5 cuts in hickory or hard maple the square ain’t faster than round and the round is easy to touch up in 10 minutes on a tree stump on the saw. I would probably have to swap the square out several times in a day. Only touched up my chain one time yesterday. Have to remember we’re felling much harder wood here, makes up for the size of the trees. Which are smaller than out west obviously.

Last edited:

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the semi chisel last longer Mason?
Or do you use full chisel when felling?

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never used square with any regularity, it is just not easy to efficiently file in the field which is important if you dont have the option of having other chains available with you all day. A well filed round chain is plenty for work.

Jeff, semi chisel always holds up better in anything. It takes some time to dial it in to cut well, but once you figure out how semi chisel ticks it's not so bad.

CLEARCUT

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I usually have one on the saw, with three more in the pack, however, I have like five extra right now down in the bush. I haven’t really done much square filing. Just change them and go. @HYPERSAWS can file pretty well.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never used square with any regularity, it is just not easy to efficiently file in the field which is important if you dont have the option of having other chains available with you all day. A well filed round chain is plenty for work.

Jeff, semi chisel always holds up better in anything. It takes some time to dial it in to cut well, but once you figure out how semi chisel ticks it's not so bad.
I remember you taught me some pointers how to file round and semi chain to cut decent back when I first joined the forum. Thanks man.

TreeLife

I'm Dominick
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I remember you taught me some pointers how to file round and semi chain to cut decent back when I first joined the forum. Thanks man.
Teach me next time Mason. I am good with full chisel. But not exactly sure on the semi chisel.
Pass on the knowledge, Mason.

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think about after 5 cuts in hickory or hard maple the square ain’t faster than round and the round is easy to touch up in 10 minutes on a tree stump on the saw. I would probably have to swap the square out several times in a day. Only touched up my chain one time yesterday. Have to remember we’re felling much harder wood here, makes up for the size of the trees. Which are smaller than out west obviously.

Depending on the day I carry up to 6 chains a day most 6 hour days I’ll swap out 2 or 3. You guys need to realize we have more then just softwoods there’s hardwoods out here as well.

What all have you cut with that chain I sent out?

As to the grinders keep your eyes open or pickup a tecomec super jolly that way you can grind anything that comes your way from the little saw stuff up to 3/4” 11H/11BC chain it costs a little more but it’s a great investment.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depending on the day I carry up to 6 chains a day most 6 hour days I’ll swap out 2 or 3. You guys need to realize we have more then just softwoods there’s hardwoods out here as well.

What all have you cut with that chain I sent out?

As to the grinders keep your eyes open or pickup a tecomec super jolly that way you can grind anything that comes your way from the little saw stuff up to 3/4” 11H/11BC chain it costs a little more but it’s a great investment.

I cut some maple and other stuff with it, cut fast but didn’t last long. Maybe less aggressive rakers would help in this stuff. I’ll keep my eyes open for the grinder, thanks for the tip.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Both healthy and broken in saws. Easy to tell the 572 simply has more rpm and torque in the cut. This was the comparison I was most interested in doing as the 572 is replacing the 372.