Plastic can be dyed other colors besides black

magicrat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
2:34 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks, very informative. I think that’s good depth for scratches and stuff.

magicrat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is the procedure for this? Like pour hot water in a bucket and leave until it cools or metal container and keep it on the stove?
U used hot water on the stove, 3 times for 10 minutes each time. When I took it out I put it in a bucket with cold water in between dips.

magicrat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d leave it in longer, myself. Couple hours won’t hurt a thing. If it’s just RIT dye
Yea I just didn’t want it to get any darker. It’s deep dark red rn. Darker than Jonsered or Shindaiwa by far. I like it. I was just worried if it got any darker it would be maroon.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have too much time on my hands and started experimenting with dye on the plastics of my 2021 390xp. Some say u can only do black but I think this red turned out awesome. I spray painted the top filter cover, just as an experiment. Don’t do that. I already ordered another one and will by dying it red as well. Just 175 degree water and Cherry Red Rit dye. Hopefully when I’m completely done it will look pretty amazing.
Looks pretty good. What comes to mind is that it might have snuck out at night and mated with a Jonsered..
I don't mean any insult, just making a funny...

magicrat

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
yea I think it looks pretty sharp. That’s what I’m going for. By the time I’m done I want it to look like a Jonsered. But I actually like this red better.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The picture I just posted was less than an hour. Most things I dye stays in for at least 90 minutes.
That really is remarkable, at least to me. I'd always thought of plastic as kind of inert, but to see the dye penetrating puts the lie to that idea. But it makes sense too, because plastic will absorb odors. This is cool.

teacherman

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea I just didn’t want it to get any darker. It’s deep dark red rn. Darker than Jonsered or Shindaiwa by far. I like it. I was just worried if it got any darker it would be maroon.
Then it would match my truck. Butte Red is the name of it, a 2016 GM color. Looks more burgundy than red to me, though.