Chainsaw Tach's

XP_Slinger

They’re Just Saws
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had my first malfunction with my tach yesterday. It took a pretty good hit while in the holder on a saw and stopped working. All that happened was the battery had popped out of its holder. Simple fix, but just something to be aware of. Don’t throw it out if it stops working after a smack ! Lol

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one of the cheapest Chinese eBay/Amazon tachs.

It is reading terribly slow, but it worked for me to tune my saws shy of their coils rpm limit.

To make it convenient for easy swapping, yet non obstructive during normal chainsaw operation I integrated the tach into the AF cover of one of my large frame Dolmar's.
It worked great and looked quite good for a first prototype.
Unfortunately the saws vibrations shook the battery loose and eventually broke the welded on contact strips.
I tried soldering the battery back in but the solder will not hold on to the battery surface.
I really like this setup, I have to get it operational again.
DSC09535.JPG DSC09537.JPG

With my main tach being out of service for a while now I got another Chinese one that was about twice the price of the cheap one.
It has a much sturdier housing and looks decent enough, but it is also a little slow.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
11:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had my first malfunction with my tach yesterday. It took a pretty good hit while in the holder on a saw and stopped working. All that happened was the battery had popped out of its holder. Simple fix, but just something to be aware of. Don’t throw it out if it stops working after a smack ! Lol

I've had mine act funky if it gets too close to the spark plug. Usually happens on the smaller saws.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ditto on the 'too close to the plug' readings weirding out with the Fast-Tach. As mentioned, just back away a little and it'll read normal. I knew somethin' wasn't right when I was seein' 16K on an old 056. LOL

And I got mine really wet once..., as in left it outside overnight in the rain. When I found it the next morning the LCD was full of condensation and it was dead as a doornail. Figured it was junk, but took it apart and dried it out gingerly with a heat gun and let it sit in the sun for awhile. Popped the battery back in a little later and its been working great since.