MS 440 carb rebuild kit

mooseman

New OPE Member
Local time
2:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have sthil ms 440 that needs a carb kit and was wondering what kits anyone could recommend. Also I have a 500i and was wondering if the aftermarket exhausts are worth putting on it

Canadian farm boy

“Normal” people scare me.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If your ms440 has a walbro carb you’ll want a K10-HD rebuild kit. Get a genuine walbro kit and reuse the metering lever spring.
Don’t waste your time and money on an aftermarket carb kit.
For your 500i the aftermarket exhausts do seem to help with letting the saw run cooler and maybe give a touch more performance but personally I think they just make the saw louder and give the illusion of it actually being better. Kinda like a fart can on an otherwise stock civic

mooseman

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thank you there is so many kits out there figured I'd ask here before buying some junk kit. And that was my thought on the 500i still on the fence with the aftermarket bark boxes

maulhead

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
thank you there is so many kits out there figured I'd ask here before buying some junk kit. And that was my thought on the 500i still on the fence with the aftermarket bark boxes

To each their own, but I would not own a bark box or straight shot muffler, on a saw even if you paid me to have it.

I had straight shot that came on a new 661, sounded kinda neat idling, once in the cut and running, it was a ear bleeding echo, I hope I never hear that sound again in my life, took it off the saw after 3 or 4 cuts. Save your money, and put it towards getting the saw ported by one of the builders on this site.

I can run a ported saw all day (they have heavily modified mufflers) never have it bother me. Something about those bark boxes & straight shots the sound waves are just obnoxious, it made my ears ring for hours.

EAK044

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 661 that had one on it. Something that really bothered me was that it shoots the exhaust right into the case where the serial number is. That general area of the saw is covered in black from the exhaust and oil. You can hardly read the numbers now and it looks like crap.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Walbro kits are pretty reasonable in price too, if you can't find one for under 20$ keep looking!
I have used some stens and proline kits which weren't terrible, but they get pretty bad after them.

mooseman

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Any recommendations on where to buy the carb kit in Canada

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a 661 that had one on it. Something that really bothered me was that it shoots the exhaust right into the case where the serial number is. That general area of the saw is covered in black from the exhaust and oil. You can hardly read the numbers now and it looks like crap.
He has a small add-on deflector available that goes inside the bottom of his big deflector on the straight shot that helps blow it uphill a little

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Walbro kits are pretty reasonable in price too, if you can't find one for under 20$ keep looking!
I have used some stens and proline kits which weren't terrible, but they get pretty bad after them.
Were, as in past tense.
A YouTube "influencer" called Chickanick *b-worded up a storm on how Husqvarna and Stihl were charging too much money for their carburetor repair kits. Husqvarna took notice, told Chickanic they would be lowering their prices to $28.00 a kit. Which the influencer claimed victory to her plight. What really happened is Husqvarna negotiated with Walbro and now kits from them that used to be $8 are, you guessed it, $28... Brilliant!

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Were, as in past tense.
A YouTube "influencer" called Chickanick *b-worded up a storm on how Husqvarna and Stihl were charging too much money for their carburetor repair kits. Husqvarna took notice, told Chickanic they would be lowering their prices to $28.00 a kit. Which the influencer claimed victory to her plight. What really happened is Husqvarna negotiated with Walbro and now kits from them that used to be $8 are, you guessed it, $28... Brilliant!
Sounds like a government negotiator got involved! Lol
I'm gonna get some proline kits and see how they are.