High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Guys if you ran regular carb saws for years, what were your thoughts when finally got a m-tronic or autotune saw????

Ketchup

Epoxy member
Local time
4:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a lot of problems with the early MTronics. Major hot starting problems and burning through solenoids. The newer versions seem more durable and I love how they hold the saw high in the power band.
AutoTune had even worse hot starting problems in the beginning. So bad that I now avoid them. Multiple friends complain their 550mk2 has to be half choked or trigger started. I haven’t run mine enough to know.
In both MT and AT, a computer carb with vapor lock is dead in the water. A standard carb can often be choked and half throttled until the carb cools down enough to run. Not to mention I hate paying for proprietary computer parts. So I guess I’m not a fan.

But I’m in the minority. Most people like them.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a lot of problems with the early MTronics. Major hot starting problems and burning through solenoids. The newer versions seem more durable and I love how they hold the saw high in the power band.
AutoTune had even worse hot starting problems in the beginning. So bad that I now avoid them. Multiple friends complain their 550mk2 has to be half choked or trigger started. I haven’t run mine enough to know.
In both MT and AT, a computer carb with vapor lock is dead in the water. A standard carb can often be choked and half throttled until the carb cools down enough to run. Not to mention I hate paying for proprietary computer parts. So I guess I’m not a fan.

But I’m in the minority. Most people like them.
Do you have any of the stihl version 3.0 saws???

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Where is the date of manufacture on a husky???

also what year starts the mark 2??
The 5 series tags are hard to see. On the clutch side partially hidden by the handle bar. The recoil cover will say mk ll if it is one. Mine is a 2017 and doesn't have the hot start problems the earlier ones did.

Maxchaos

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 550xp mk1 and 1 560xp mk1,I like them because they scream and don't really need a tube,but I much prefer the screwdriver carbs,if something is wrong you usually notice long before they grenade,high idle,no fourstroking,you know there's a leak.
Autotune works good and can even compensate for a leaky seal and bearing play,but you don't have a clue if there's something wrong without the software.
I think they need to implement something like a Red LED that turn on when there are errors, the saw still work but at least you know there's a problem, like a car. Just my 2 cent.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have 3 550xp mk1 and 1 560xp mk1,I like them because they scream and don't really need a tube,but I much prefer the screwdriver carbs,if something is wrong you usually notice long before they grenade,high idle,no fourstroking,you know there's a leak.
Autotune works good and can even compensate for a leaky seal and bearing play,but you don't have a clue if there's something wrong without the software.
I think they need to implement something like a Red LED that turn on when there are errors, the saw still work but at least you know there's a problem, like a car. Just my 2 cent.

I totally agree. They should even include a cable with the saw and a code to be able to download the software from their website.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a husqvarna 545 auto tune. I really like the saw, but if it was available with regular carb, that's what I would prefer. I don't use my saws during the hot months, which is like may thru September. When I leave the auto tune sitting that long it takes 20 or more pulls to get it going. My old 50 or 55 takes between 3 and 6.
Does anyone know how the settings are stored for the fuel trim?
I'm curious how the data is retained.
Does the memory slowly bleed off the charge and loose the data?
Is there any exposure potential for fuel or oil to contact anything and provide a pathway (however high resistance) and slowly bleed the memory state away?
Let's say fuel might slowly soak through the encapsulation of the electronics/chips and cause a slow loss?

When the saw has been sitting a while.
Is there a capacitor or something for holding a bit of energy, that needs a "few" spins to charge and thus get the system energized~initialized and ready to do its work?

p.s. I don't own anything of the auto-tronic era, but I would like to understand the ins and outs of this stuff

Last edited:

pro94lt

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are great, I guess I got a 576xp at 12-15 years ago and have been running them since, never a problem with any of them...

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started out running a new Stihl 041 so learned to carb tune by ear early on and only recently bought a tach out of curiosity.

tweeners 044,460,20T, 200T,026,266, 268,372, 088, 260, 261 etc etc!

2yrs ago 572xp,592xp and last year 261C, 355t and 2511p, 592xp had a carb hose come off early on which caused hot start issues put it back on and no issues since.

carb-auto-mtronic all have their quirks or procedures.

IMHO one of the best newer feature is the primer bulb or is it just a future failure point?

Worst feature on the new Stihls is the ass backwards kill switch. :bash:

Stihl have a soft spot for my original 044-10mm and 026 which I still run.

Last edited:

qurotro

Cookie Cutter
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t like the software and connecter as dealer only item. So I think I won’t buy them with my own money. I don’t chase the 10% more power or fuel efficiency than the old carb saws too. Always tune my saw before I use it. Just take a minute or so.
But I admit they run great, when it works lol..

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I started out running a new Stihl 041 so learned to carb tune by ear early on and only recently bought a tach out of curiosity.

tweeners 044,460,20T, 200T,026,266, 268,372, 088, 260, 261 etc etc!

2yrs ago 572xp,592xp and last year 261C, 355t and 2511p, 592xp had a carb hose come off early on which caused hot start issues put it back on and no issues since.

carb-auto-mtronic all have their quirks or procedures.

IMHO one of the best newer feature is the primer bulb or is it just a future failure point?

Worst feature on the new Stihls is the ass backwards kill switch. :bash:

Stihl have a soft spot for my original 044-10mm and 026 which I still run.
Funny you say that the kill/starter switch is different to get used to lol!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t like the software and connecter as dealer only item. So I think I won’t buy them with my own money. I don’t chase the 10% more power or fuel efficiency than the old carb saws too. Always tune my saw before I use it. Just take a minute or so.
I did have the same mind set, but couldn’t pass up the deal and figured well I will just find out for myself what these are about….time will tell….

SCHallenger

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had a 562 Auto tune Husky & still have Stihl 462 & 241 which are M-tronic. I also have Stihl 261, 201, & 200 with standard carbs.
I like them all, but I prefer the simplicity of the standard carbs. The only time I don't like the standard carb is when it it mated with a rev limited coil!!! Those thing are the invention of the devil!! I do like the way the M-tronics & Auto tunes start without screaming at high RPMs when they fire up. Yeah, when you are on the ball you can quickly blip the throttle to idle the regular carb models down, but I still don't like it when you don't have to deal with that at all with the electronic models. Not having to re-tune to changing conditions is also a nice plus. Like I said above, I like 'em all!!

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never been to a dealer other than to purchase a new saw in 50yrs so time will tell how the new stuff works out, I have replaced bits and pieces myself over the last 50yrs.

Note sure how they get the 10% claim when the few 500i's that I have run appear to be gas hogs from my experience as there is no carb version to compare it with.

And just add a plug I have not been to dealer in the last 2 years to purchase my personal saws as they were purchased here from H&L Supply and shipped to me in Mn.

Last edited:

Maxchaos

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know how the settings are stored for the fuel trim?
I'm curious how the data is retained.
Does the memory slowly bleed off the charge and loose the data?
Is there any exposure potential for fuel or oil to contact anything and provide a pathway (however high resistance) and slowly bleed the memory state away?
Let's say fuel might slowly soak through the encapsulation of the electronics/chips and cause a slow loss?

When the saw has been sitting a while.
Is there a capacitor or something for holding a bit of energy, that needs a "few" spins to charge and thus get the system energized~initialized and ready to do its work?

p.s. I don't own anything of the auto-tronic era, but I would like to understand the ins and outs of this stuff
If It works like dirtbikes I was told that they "wake" themselfes everytime you kick the starter pedal, it's likely the same for chainsaw,the chip starts regulating the fuel as soon as energy turn it on.
Regarding the Memory and adjustmen storage I think it's only saved on non-volatile memory,so even without current It won't erase It,at least not before many years.

cowroy

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I obviously wasn’t gonna go buy a new ecarb saw, but I was scrolling marketplace one day and found a MS400C for $150 that “wouldn’t start”. I expected the worse when I got there and the guy could not speak English so I didn’t try to ask about it. I pulled it over and it had very little compression so I figured it was roached. When I got home I pulled the muffler cover and it didn’t look bad at all. Then I realized the spark plug was stripped. Bought a Helicoil kit, repaired the threads, and I won’t buy another personal saw that is not an auto tune. I love this 400c and I have typically always leaned toward Husqvarna, but if I buy new it will be mtronic because there is more dealer support in my area.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well ran a few more tanks threw her in logs dropped off by a tree guy (ash, tulip, hackberry), the saws seems great so far!!!

It’s definitely different than what I’m used to, but I can get used to it!!!

I have noticed after a full bar cut, once I complete cut it goes down to idle in a strange way….no complaints at all just feeling her out!!!!

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Note sure how they get the 10% claim when the few 500i's that I have run appear to be gas hogs from my experience as there is no carb version to compare it with.
If anything, the 500i actually runs a bit lean, the tank is smaller than regular saws to yield room for the electronics, thus requiring more frequent fuel ups from lack of volume. Stihl has richened them up some from what I hear, could likely still use some more.

As for myself, my 550xpg is my go-to saw, over the plethora of old school saws that I have. So, there's choices for the casual use and hobbyist sawyers out there, as the Pro's go to the current tech and leave the old behind.